Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Possible Purchase? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/possible-purchase-149376.html)

sab340 03-27-2012 04:57 PM

Possible Purchase?

Hi All-

Still trying to find a Jeep. Not rushing, but this one just recently came on the market. Wanted to see if any of you could take a look at the listing and let me know your thoughts!

Thank you!

Cars for Sale: 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 Sahara in Saint Louis, MO 63143: Sport Utility Details - 314079941 - AutoTrader.com

Boo97wrangler 03-27-2012 05:12 PM

Its a good looking jeep! I got mine (a 97 Sahara, 4.0, auto, 4 in lift, banks ram air intake, banks headers and exhaust with 145,000 miles New 33" mickey Thompson tires and rims ) for $5500. Mine did have a few minor problems and didn't come with a top. I would try and talk them down some. Looks like a nice clean rig! Good luck!

I-Want-A-Jeep 03-27-2012 07:01 PM

Being that it's at a car lot, I'd expect the price to be a little high. If it were me, I wouldn't pay any more than $7500 OTD. My '04 "X" 4.0 5spd with 68,000 miles was $10.5k from an individual. If you could find that Jeep from an individual, you should be in the $6000-$6500 range.

Being that you're in the STL area, look at the Southern Illinois craigslist (Carbondale) as well as the MO CL.

Blackpony04 03-27-2012 09:25 PM

I could be wrong but I think I see rust on top of the right fender and along the fender flares which is the same place I have rust. Even so, that's a clean jeep.

dabolt55 03-27-2012 09:32 PM

$$$$, My 01 sport, I picked up for $8,500. like above said, $6k- $7k range is about right. Be patient though, there's one out there for you..:thumb:

sab340 03-27-2012 10:43 PM

Thanks!

I'll go take a look at it this weekend. For some reason, I am really fun shy about buying from Craigslist...I guess I always feel that if I buy from a dealer likely it will be a better vehicle but I could be very wrong about that.

Blackpony04 03-28-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sab340 (Post 2189996)
Thanks!

I'll go take a look at it this weekend. For some reason, I am really fun shy about buying from Craigslist...I guess I always feel that if I buy from a dealer likely it will be a better vehicle but I could be very wrong about that.

If you're paying cash a dealership should be avoided if possible IMO, especially if it's not a factory (GM/Ford/Jeep) dealer and does "Buy Here, Pay Here" financing since they make all their money on the ridiculous rates they can charge people for an overpriced car. A private seller is A) usually motivated to sell quickly and therefore B) more likely to ask a reasonable price. Too many people though think KBB is the end all be all to car pricing so beware of that thinking too. Don't forget also that a PO knows the history of the car they're selling (which of course isn't always the truth and needs to be taken lightly).

That being said, I have had awesome success with Craigslist both buying AND selling cars (both vehicles in my garage were bought on CL). You just have to be a smart buyer.

Ichabod 03-28-2012 08:40 AM

I'm a CL guy too. I seldom see a Jeep more than a few years old on any lots, and if I do, it's over priced and the lot usually has a bad rep for screwing people.

I figure you're rolling the dice either way, but paying a lot less to an individual.

That looks like a nice one, but I'd have to agree you would find something as good or better for a little less buying from CL or some other classifieds.