Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need help troubleshooting aftermarket alarm (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-help-troubleshooting-aftermarket-alarm-149512.html)

crocker_dave 03-28-2012 07:59 AM

Need help troubleshooting aftermarket alarm

Hi!
So, last night I completed the install of my KC HiLites (followed instructions exactly). During the process I disconnected both the positive & neg terminals from the battery. After the install, I hooked both cables back to the battery and the KC lights worked, but only for about 5 sec or so. Then my lights all shut off and this loud ass horn starts blasting (think of a car alarm you hear in a wal-mart parking lot). At this point, the Jeep won't start either. Since it is like 1 am and I live in a city neighborhood, I cut the 2 wires (red, black) going to the horn (looks like a tiny bullhorn). Now when I turn the key to start it, all the dash lights flash and it still won't start! I have only had my TJ since January and didn't realize it had an aftermarket alarm. I'm guessing the "brain" to the alarm is somewhere up under the dash, so I'm thinking I should remove that 1st. After tracing back wires, I located a relay under the hood for the alarm (definitely not stock as its held on by a white zip tie). Maybe I can unhook this for a temporary fix? Also, it appears that the fog lights are wired into this relay as well (there is no Fog Light Relay in the under-hood fuse box). Sorry for the long post! I'll try to get some pics on here...
Thank you!! :wavey:

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is a red LED mounted in the dash area, to the lower left of the steering wheel (between the steering wheel and the front driver's side speaker). The LED never blinked or did anything before this and now it is blinking like in a 3 round burst, so to speak. I'm guessing this means the alarm has detected some kind of problem?

crocker_dave 03-28-2012 10:46 AM

Ok, update. So now as soon as I hook up the positive cable on the battery the alarm system goes nuts. Unhooking the relay and disconnecting its power cable did not solve the problem. I decided to rip out the entire alarm system. So far i've removed the brain (its a Viper 500 ESP) and a bunch of wires. Some of the wires go behind the radio/HVAC area, and I'm still trying to figure out where these wires go. My next step is to remove the plastic piece around the radio/HVAC area and track down those last few wires. This has turned into a major PITA! Looking back, I probably should have just ordered another remote for the alarm and called it a day, lol. Oh, well.

oIIIIIIo 03-28-2012 10:50 AM

Good idea, get rid of the alarm. Alarm will not keep any thieves away. They will always find a way to get your stuff one way or another.

crocker_dave 03-29-2012 12:15 AM

Update: I removed all components and wires related to the alarm system. The wires that went behind the radio/HVAC went to a box that was velcro'd inside the middle air vent on the passenger side. I have no idea what it was for, but i'm just glad I got everything removed. I had to reconnect the ignition wire from where the alarm had spliced into it, but other than that no major re-wiring had to be done. After reattaching the ignition wire, it started up no problem. The only thing that remains to be done is for me to figure out how to wire the factory fog lights in the factory fuse box. Right now the fog lights go to a relay (not factory-looking at all) and that relay has a wire going to the factory fog light switch next to the ash tray. The factory fog light relay was also removed from the under-hood fuse box. Does anyone know how the fog lights were wired up in stock form?

BigTxRdnck 03-29-2012 12:50 PM

I've ran into this situation a few times with people that have bought a vehicle used and didn't even know it had an alarm. Usually, where the harness runs under the dash down under the steering wheel, there will be atleast 1 or maybe 2 inline fuses. Pull these fuses out and the alarm system is completely disabled and everything else should function normally.

Shelby427 03-29-2012 03:04 PM

Maybe a little wise to check over your "factory" fog lamps, just in case they aren't factory, or someone has modded em with a higher wattage bulb, before doing the swap over.

Factory units run 55 watt bulbs, some folks (me) run 100 watt bulbs in em. Too much for the stock system to run. In ours I use the stock switch only,to run a heavy relay, and new heavier wiring to the lamps.

Don't want you to find out your "factory" lamps aren't, and you fry the wiring harness.