Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Are monotubes really worth the $$$ ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/are-monotubes-really-worth-the-14952.html)

cavediverjc 01-20-2008 09:22 AM

Are monotubes really worth the $$$ ?

Here's the deal. I have no problem paying more for something if it truly is worth it. Are monotube shocks really worth the extra money? I've been looking at the Full Traction monotubes for $90 each and also the Old Man Emu monotubes for $85 each. My Jeep is a daily driver (or was, until I deployed) and I need for it to be as comfortable on-road while still being able to abuse it off-road. I'll pay extra if it's worth it. What do you all think? Are there better shocks out there for the $$$ ? I've heard good things about both the Full Tractions and the OMEs.

Here's the scoop on my Jeep in its current state.....
2" BB with STOCK shocks....yep, I know...rides like ASS
31" BFG ATs
Everything else is stock.

What I have for it sitting in my parent's garage waiting to be installed....
3" Full Traction suspension
1" Body lift
4 brand spanking new 33" MT Baja Claw Radials

I went with the 3" lift because I didn't want to deal with the SYE/CV DS on a vehicle that'll only ever be a daily driver. (I'm looking at a 2004 Unlimited Sport for getting a little crazy)

Anyways, I just wanted some opinions on shocks. Let me get some food for thought from some of you gurus out there!!
:)
Jordan

02Prove 01-20-2008 10:05 AM

I am in LOVE with my OME softies.

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2008 10:20 AM

I'm running RE's monotubes and like them a lot. That they have a single tube design means they run cooler so they'll fade less on rough terrain. I think they're worth the extra coin personally. RE's have a lifetime warranty so that makes them even better. Plus at least the RE's that I am running have a very good ride. :)

cavediverjc 01-20-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02Prove (Post 184232)
I am in LOVE with my OME softies.

Where did you get yours and how long have you had them? And what are the part #s if you have them.... Thanks, JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 184239)
I'm running RE's monotubes and like them a lot. That they have a single tube design means they run cooler so they'll fade less on rough terrain. I think they're worth the extra coin personally. RE's have a lifetime warranty so that makes them even better. Plus at least the RE's that I am running have a very good ride. :)

You know, I've also heard alot of really good things about the RE monotubes. You've got a TJ, not an LJ right? I know they're heavier and use different part #s. Well, that's two votes FOR the monotubes. It's looking like that's the route I'll be taking. Now to decide on which brand.....decisions, decisions.....

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 184242)
Where did you get yours and how long have you had them? And what are the part #s if you have them.... Thanks, JC

You know, I've also heard alot of really good things about the RE monotubes. You've got a TJ, not an LJ right? I know they're heavier and use different part #s. Well, that's two votes FOR the monotubes. It's looking like that's the route I'll be taking. Now to decide on which brand.....decisions, decisions.....

The way my TJ is built, I'm fairly certain it's probably heavier than your LJ. :)

cavediverjc 01-20-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 184244)
The way my TJ is built, I'm fairly certain it's probably heavier than your LJ. :)

Mine's not an LJ, it's a TJ. (Sorry if I misled you, I was just thinking outloud) I found a set for $297 with free shipping. Sound like a good deal? Ever heard of this company? If you know of someone else whose prices compare and have good customer service, let me know....
Thanks,
Jordan

Here's the link....

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/71232

Vector6 01-20-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 184239)
RE's have a lifetime warranty

are you sure?

jeeperx2 01-20-2008 12:37 PM

Northridge4x4 has th re for 69.99 - 280.00

jeeperx2 01-20-2008 12:38 PM

just read free shipping from fourwheelers:doh:

350chevrolet 01-20-2008 03:50 PM

monotubes are really nice. it doesnt matter where you buy them from... there still RE.

jeeperx2 01-20-2008 04:57 PM

$$$$$$$$ ;)

dwdrums801 01-20-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 184258)
are you sure?

yea

Jerry Bransford 01-20-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 184258)
are you sure?

I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't. They're even rebuildable. :)

jherrin215 01-20-2008 10:06 PM

I thought northridge also had free shipping!!

02Prove 01-20-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 184242)

I bought them from a buddy who took them off to go bigger on his rig. They were on his for about a year and they've been on mine for a few weeks.

Jeep rides as close to a dream as a Jeep is gong to I reckon. However, I've got the OME 2.5 lift so it came with shocks, springs, & all. Pretty pricey new and I probably wouldn't bought the lift new since I am planning on bigger myself later on... but if 2.5 is plenty I can't recommend it enough. It handles far better than stock on the road and is damn flexy off road.

I don't have the part numbers but I'm sure they are easy enough to find on their site.

foxinthemudd 01-20-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350chevrolet (Post 184316)
monotubes are really nice. it doesnt matter where you buy them from... there still RE.

hey 350, RE = Rubicon Express, Just FYI :doh::wavey: