Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Best Lift 3-4" Lift for a 2012 JKUR without breaking the bank? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/best-lift-3-4-lift-for-a-2012-jkur-without-breaking-the-bank-149529.html)

jdmowery 03-28-2012 09:07 AM

Best Lift 3-4" Lift for a 2012 JKUR without breaking the bank?
 
Hi Guys,

Need some guidance on the best lift I can get for my money....I'm only looking to go up 3-4" and run 35's.

Gotta buy wheels and tires to so I'm trying to be budget friendly but I can always do it in phases as opposed to buying junk.

Thanks!!

kjeeper10 03-28-2012 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't cheap out as far as lifts.

2.5" TeraFlex and 35's

MTH 03-28-2012 09:58 AM

I also have the TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift, and that's great. At that height, you can do without new front LCAs, trackbars, and driveshafts. That saves a lot of money, and you can run 35s as shown by kjeeper10. Heck, if he adds flat flares (like these) he could run 37s.

4" is a big lift and that can't be done cheaply IMO. While I don't have any first hand experience with 4" lifts, I have to imagine you'd definitely need to add front LCAs and trackbars. Maybe driveshafts too.

3" is a little more manageable. TeraFlex makes this one for about $1k, though I'd really want to add front LCAs at that height. Full Traction makes this one that's got everything I'd want, but it's over $2k. Rock Krawler has this 3.5" kit for about $1k, but you need to add shocks. Here's a nice complete looking 3.25" kit from Rusty's, but it's $1400.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap." Rough Country makes this 3.25" kit that is about as cheap as it gets for $400, but use that at you're own risk. From a reputation standpoint, Rough Country is a better source for accessory-type items rather than major suspension changes. Up to you.

Personally, if you're trying to stay under $1k, I'd stick to 2.5". That seems to be the magic number where you can find high quality for under $1k, like this one or this more budget friendly one. There's a reason folks are spending $500 to $700 to get 2.5" of TeraFlex lift when they could spend $400 and get 3.25" of Rough Country lift.

clvnmcd 03-28-2012 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
X2 on the TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift. It will allow you to run 35" Tires and will cost you much less money. If you go 3" You are going to need to add several more expensive components to your system to make things work properly.
If you do decide on the TeraFlex 2.5" here's a couple of tips that will keep you out of any surprises (these are all listed elsewhere) but it bears repeating. You WILL need wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels w/ approx 4" backspacing, plus you should also invest in a set of the TeraFlex Exhaust extensions (very good insurance, to keep from ripping your driveline boot while offroading).

Edit: Attached is a pic of my Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift w/ 35" Duratracs

Revyjku08 03-28-2012 10:22 AM

Lifts to consider....OME HD coils spring lift (3"-4" of lift), 2.5-3" TF coil or 2.5" Rock Krawler Coil lift! AEV is overpriced compared to these 3 other lifts! These lifts will easily fit 35's!

I am running the OME HD coils and have been very pleased gave me 3" of lift and no sagging with the added weight of bumpers & winch!

jdmowery 03-28-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd
X2 on the TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift. It will allow you to run 35" Tires and will cost you much less money. If you go 3" You are going to need to add several more expensive components to your system to make things work properly.
If you do decide on the TeraFlex 2.5" here's a couple of tips that will keep you out of any surprises (these are all listed elsewhere) but it bears repeating. You WILL need wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels w/ approx 4" backspacing, plus you should also invest in a set of the TeraFlex Exhaust extensions (very good insurance, to keep from ripping your driveline boot while offroading).

Edit: Attached is a pic of my Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift w/ 35" Duratracs

Hey man! Best advice I've seen, we have identical JKUR's and your setup is exactly the look I want!!!!

Many thanks, how do you like your tires? Actual size and wheel size?

clvnmcd 03-28-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmowery (Post 2191708)
Hey man! Best advice I've seen, we have identical JKUR's and your setup is exactly the look I want!!!!

Many thanks, how do you like your tires? Actual size and wheel size?

I'm Running the ATX Artillery Wheels 17X9 with the 315/70/17 Duratracs.
I can't say enough good things about the Duratracs, I absolutely love them. They ride smooth on the highway, no noticeable noise, and their snow traction has been outstanding. I haven't had the chance to take them offroad much, but lots of other jeepers on this site also have had many good things to say about them.
As for the wheels the ATX Artillery and few others are Teflon coated, they are a Dark charcoal color, instead of a true black, and are incredibly dirt and Salt/Magchloride resistant.

I didn't try this, but many of the guys on here have gone with a 15" Wheel and Tire combo that can prove to be lighter less expensive as well. Though your tire selection and sizes may be a little more limited.

chris.george 03-28-2012 11:15 AM

If you only want 35"s and don't plan on going higher any time soon, stick with something under 3" as everyone is throwing out.

But, if you're set on 3-4" of lift, here are some options (none are "cheap" that I'd recommend, but cheap is relative). No particular order:
1. Full Traction
2. EVO
3. AEV
4. TeraFlex

There are probably some I'm missing. But going that high *DO NOT* go budget. Trust me from first hand experience on this.

If you do go that high you will need to replace the "extra":
- Front Driveshaft
- Possibly Rear Driveshaft
- Shocks if your kit does not come with them.

jdmowery 04-20-2012 09:08 AM

Hey guys, well I went with the 2.5"TeraFlex lift and 35x12.5x17's....lift is done and tires/wheels go on today!! I'll post pics once it's done. Many thanks!!!

clvnmcd 04-20-2012 09:14 AM

That's Awesome! You will NOT be disappointed :dance:



Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmowery (Post 2282547)
Hey guys, well I went with the 2.5"TeraFlex lift and 35x12.5x17's....lift is done and tires/wheels go on today!! I'll post pics once it's done. Many thanks!!!


jdmowery 04-20-2012 09:34 AM

What bumper/winch combo are you running?

clvnmcd 04-20-2012 11:19 AM

I'm running the Rockhard full width bumper up front with a Warn M8000 winch (steel cable) and I just ordered an Expedition One with Tire carrier for the rear (havn't got it installed yet). The Rockhard is pretty heavy, but the Teraflex springs are holding it up nicely. I'm loving my lift.

Chunks 04-20-2012 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just put a BB lift on my old Jeep...Watcha think?:whistling:

SlackerMD 04-20-2012 11:50 AM

at least you put some ATs on...will help with the fuel mileage on the highway.

rics1997 04-20-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunks (Post 2283107)
Just put a BB lift on my old Jeep...Watcha think?:whistling:

Did you have to get new drive shafts and lower control arms with that lift? :rofl:

Revyjku08 04-20-2012 01:26 PM

OME HD Coil Spring kit is a great lift especially if you are packing lots of weight (bumpers & winch). I got just over 3" of lift and IMHO I wouldn't want to go any higher as I like Lower Center of Gravity!

That is 3" of lift with Winch & bumpers and still no sag after 2.5yrs. I did add shocks, JKS F/R track bars, TF Lower Adj front control arms and adj rear swaybar links for the rear and extended my brake lines. I didn't need DS as I have a 6spd so rubbing on the Tranny Skid plate.

Give you an idea of what the lift looks like with 35's

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/DSCF6925.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/DSCF6922.jpg

cousincleatus 04-20-2012 07:44 PM

i just got a zone 3" kit with an adjustable front track bar and the nitro shocks for $605 to the door i should have it installed by tuesday. the zone kit is basicly a BDS kit without the lifetime warranty and i can add control arms later probably (clayton or EVO).after wheelin with a few JK's that had this same lift i was impressed they went head to head with all the big brands . why pay the extra $$ for a name when these lifts arent all that complicated and most springs are made in the same place. tera flex evo full traction currie rock crawler take your pick of the big name brands they're all over priced for what you get in my opinion.

Chunks 04-20-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 2283147)
Did you have to get new drive shafts and lower control arms with that lift? :rofl:

No...Do you you think I need them?:popcorn:

Chunks 04-20-2012 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackerMD (Post 2283127)
at least you put some ATs on...will help with the fuel mileage on the highway.

Mileage isn't bad...17 City/23 highway...However, the toll booth is a bitch to get through...

YMMV...

geauxsimon 08-28-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revyjku08 (Post 2283518)
OME HD Coil Spring kit is a great lift especially if you are packing lots of weight (bumpers & winch). I got just over 3" of lift and IMHO I wouldn't want to go any higher as I like Lower Center of Gravity!

That is 3" of lift with Winch & bumpers and still no sag after 2.5yrs. I did add shocks, JKS F/R track bars, TF Lower Adj front control arms and adj rear swaybar links for the rear and extended my brake lines. I didn't need DS as I have a 6spd so rubbing on the Tranny Skid plate.

Give you an idea of what the lift looks like with 35's

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/DSCF6925.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/DSCF6922.jpg

Is this the 2.5" OME HD spring kit? I didnt see a 3" kit. Im assuming you have the 2.5"kit and ended up with 3" of lift? Looks awesome man!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.