Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Looking for places to wheel (legally) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/looking-for-places-to-wheel-legally-149543.html)

Meyers2010 03-28-2012 10:02 AM

Looking for places to wheel (legally)
 
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and new to Cali..I've been wondering where I can go wheeling near camp Pendleton..I don't really want to go on base because I'm afraid of gettinn busted by the mp's!!any good areas around southern pendleton/Oceanside area??
Thanks
Tyler

MickeYJ 03-28-2012 11:58 AM

Anyone...?

530ktm 03-28-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyers2010 (Post 2191549)
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and new to Cali..I've been wondering where I can go wheeling near camp Pendleton..I don't really want to go on base because I'm afraid of gettinn busted by the mp's!!any good areas around southern pendleton/Oceanside area??
Thanks
Tyler

Look up some information on Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego and you will find a lot of areas to go Jeeping. This is all down east and south east of Julian which is not too far from where you are at Pendleton.

949OC 03-28-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeYJ (Post 2192014)
Anyone...?

Red Rock is to the north of LA. Pretty fun. Reminds me of Borrego.

949OC 03-28-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyers2010 (Post 2191549)
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and new to Cali..I've been wondering where I can go wheeling near camp Pendleton..I don't really want to go on base because I'm afraid of gettinn busted by the mp's!!any good areas around southern pendleton/Oceanside area??
Thanks
Tyler


Everything is pretty much to the east. I'm in South OC and all the trails around here are just fire roads. Scenic, but not challenging at all. Anza-Borrego is to the east of you. Pretty fun with a few challenges (The Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill to name a couple). I'm not familiar with other area in east SD county and Imperial County but I understand there are some good trails out there. Big Bear and Calico are a bit of a distance from you but worth it. If you have a few days to camp, Death Valley is awesome.

Meyers2010 03-30-2012 01:32 PM

Awesome thanks guys!!im gonna check em out!!

949OC 03-30-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyers2010 (Post 2200598)
Awesome thanks guys!!im gonna check em out!!

If you are able to get weekdays off, let me know and I'll see if I can join you. Next week I'll be busy at work but later in the month I should be able to use some vacation.

Meyers2010 03-30-2012 09:37 PM

Well I have next Friday off which probably won't work for you but I'm going on Pre deployment leave on the 21st

Bsc 03-30-2012 10:59 PM

East you have Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego, To the south you have Corral Canyon, Pancake rock and Superstition Mountain

krughzn 04-01-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bsc (Post 2202290)
East you have Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego, To the south you have Corral Canyon, Pancake rock and Superstition Mountain

All very good choices. :thumb:

Spartan 04-01-2012 09:27 PM

I go wheeling on my base (Vandenberg AFB) about 4 hours north of you and we don't get in trouble. Im not a hundred percent sure but I bet you could do the same on yours.

949OC 04-02-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyers2010 (Post 2201993)
Well I have next Friday off which probably won't work for you but I'm going on Pre deployment leave on the 21st


I'll see if I can pull something off for Friday. I'm covering for someone who is on vacation but I might be able to get someone else to cover both of us for one day. How much leave do you have after the 21st?

Meyers2010 04-04-2012 12:46 AM

Until may 4th and we're leaving may 15th so maybe we could go when I get back from leave

hwy1rubi 04-05-2012 10:07 PM

I used like to head up to Silverwood Lake, (Miller Canyon) and head up toward Pilot Rock and down into Deep Creek. But that was on either a quad or dirt bike, next week (thursday or friday) I'm going to take the Rubi up there and see how it does.

myfirstwrangler 04-07-2012 04:23 PM

There is Big Bear lots of trails there, there is also HWY 243, lots of nice trails there too. Joshua tree, up towards 29 palms, johnson valley.....

949OC 04-08-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwy1rubi (Post 2225427)
I used like to head up to Silverwood Lake, (Miller Canyon) and head up toward Pilot Rock and down into Deep Creek. But that was on either a quad or dirt bike, next week (thursday or friday) I'm going to take the Rubi up there and see how it does.


Those are fun trails. I wish I could join you but I'm heading up to Pismo at the end of the week. Send me a PM the next time you plan on heading up there on a weekday and hopefully I can join you.

hwy1rubi 04-09-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 949OC (Post 2233498)
Those are fun trails. I wish I could join you but I'm heading up to Pismo at the end of the week. Send me a PM the next time you plan on heading up there on a weekday and hopefully I can join you.

Will do, we had to change it to Wednesday though due to a reminder from the wifey that were going wine tasting Thursday to Sunday.

ch520c 04-20-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan (Post 2208735)
I go wheeling on my base (Vandenberg AFB) about 4 hours north of you and we don't get in trouble. Im not a hundred percent sure but I bet you could do the same on yours.

I work on VAFB as well, I was not aware you can drive off road, please tell me more -

lawdog 04-21-2012 12:14 PM

if your on pendleton, just be good at being shady.

take a range pass
grab an xts5000 radio.
call into longrifle that your doing a site survey.(you dont have to have it requested, and anyone can do it as long as it isnt conflicting)

have fun
when you leave tell longrifle you are done for the day.

...you may need an RSO card, which if you are caught screwing around will be pulled. or at least told it will be pulled.

JeepNDirty 04-22-2012 03:44 PM

check out these links for maps and other info

Home - Photo Gallery by OHVguide.com / GoDunes.com

ATV Trails, Motorcycle Trails, Motocross Tracks, California

both are great. hope this helps :thumb:

RadarRob2012 04-22-2012 04:31 PM

Dirtopia.com , it lists trails nationwide by state and county. It's awesome.

Ungust 05-03-2012 04:55 PM

Hi Everyone, I just joined today and I am waiting for my Rubicon to be built.. Currently, we are using my girlfriends Hummer. It's ok, but it's not a jeep. Anyway, there is an offroad area north of Azusa on Rt. 39. I think that it's right around Burro Canyon Shooting Range. Also, Dove Canyon north of Red Rock Canyon Park is a good area. I can still remember when I could go up into Silverado Canyon behind Orange and run the fire roads, legally. Keep 'em rolling , guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.