Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Wrangler question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wrangler-question-149572.html)

Jervboy 03-28-2012 12:41 PM

Wrangler question
 
All right here we go. I have a 2011 JKU Sport S, my second Wrangler. My first was a '97 Wrangler SE. My question or concern is, with the introduction of the Rubicon and the knowledge that hard core wheelers make extrodinary modifications to tjeir rigs, is a stock JKU considered an adequate off road vehickle? I do no rock crawling, obviously, but I do my share of off roading, trail riding, foul weather runs, mud runs and the such, I have a winch and upgraded my tires slightly but am feeling like I don't have the real deal off road rig because I don't have the equipment that comes with a Rubican. I never have any real issues off road but was looking for some opinions?????

daggo66 03-28-2012 12:42 PM

It is more than adequate! You can go anywhere a rubicon can go, maybe not as easily in some cases, however.

marc1230 03-28-2012 12:43 PM

You have a case of Rubicon envy. Only known treatment is to buy a Rubicon

4fit 03-28-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
It is more than adequate! You can go anywhere a rubicon can go, maybe not as easily in some cases, however.

^^this! If you feel your rig is inadequate for some reason, then mod it to make it adequate!

WatchThis! 03-28-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
It is more than adequate! You can go anywhere a rubicon can go, maybe not as easily in some cases, however.

Well almost anywhere, there are some hill climbs and ledges that you just cant do without lockers.

JIMBOX 03-28-2012 01:06 PM

:whistling: "Rock Crawling", technically refers to traversing VERY ROCKY terrain, that requires Driving care/safe route lines and very low speed-

Any stock jeep can doit, there's just a matter of undercarriage/body/fender/roll over damage-that takes driving ability--not Rubicon status-

Several years ago, one of the RUBICON Rangers used a STOCK JKUR, no lift/stock tires/stock bumpers and he was everywhere-

Heh Heh, yea he suffered bumper/body damage, but minor--

The basic requirement for the jeep is--LEARN TO DRIVEIT FIRST !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

clvnmcd 03-28-2012 01:07 PM

If you are already going where you want, then you must have an adequate offroader, I've got the Rubicon and I don't think I will be using it's full potential until I am no longer afraid of body damage.:hide:

Jervboy 03-28-2012 01:08 PM

I guess I never had this ENVY thing with my old rig but am feeling it now because of the Rubicon. I read up on this a little but what is the big difference between the two 4WD's in the two models? The locking differential?

WatchThis! 03-28-2012 01:13 PM

And the 4:1 Tcase and the elect sway bar discos. The tcase is the main reason I went with a rubi.

baytownbert 03-28-2012 01:21 PM

Equipment, especially top of the line equipment does not make anyone a better, safer, or experienced off-roader. Take your Jeep whereever you can and when you repeatedly can't overcome an obstacle, upgrade. the same rule applies to Rubicon owners as it does to us sport drivers.

Rubicons are basically set up for rocks. Push button lockers and swaybar disconnects, plus heavier axles and transfer case...but a pure stock Jeep JK can do some amazing things without mods. YMMV :wavey:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jervboy (Post 2192050)
I guess I never had this ENVY thing with my old rig but am feeling it now because of the Rubicon. I read up on this a little but what is the big difference between the two 4WD's in the two models? The locking differential?


WatchThis! 03-28-2012 01:28 PM

Oh yeah and how did I forget about the front dana 44!!! Tcase and the 44 the reasons.... But I bought my jeep for 1 reason and thats to beat the crap it of it. If I was to buy another one that I wasnt planing on doing crazy stuff in I would be more then happy with a sport.... As long as it didnt have oppen difs that is.

ESP 03-28-2012 01:30 PM

OP there is a lot of great info here. Re read both daggo and bert's replies. Your stock JKU is very capable. Go wheel it and see.

baytownbert 03-28-2012 01:46 PM

On another note, if you are running 33" or smaller tires and off-road sensibly, the Dana 30 is a heckava front axle. I saw a lot of TJ's bust Dana 35's, but can't recall seeing a Dana 30 grenade. I also do not recommend ever hooking a strap to the front of your Jeep and backing up to extract a stuck vehicle if you can turn around and pull it.

That front axle just ain't meant for that, but the back? Shazam! :thumb: Like I said above. These are things you learn on the trail.

Jervboy 03-28-2012 02:10 PM

Thanks for all the info Dawgs! I did know about all the differences and also have read that instead of paying up front in the area of 6-7 grand for the Rubicon you would be better served investing less aftermarket and modifying your rig and wind up with better results. I just keep seeing and hearing different things with regards to comparisons between Wranglers and say Toyota FJ Cruisers or some other off road vehickles and they always compare them but they do the comparison with a Rubicon. I was just wondering how my JKUS measured up?

JIMBOX 03-28-2012 02:23 PM

:whistling: There's no limit on the amount of "mods" you can do toa jeep, but

You can never "Duplicate" a RUBICON-

:dance::rofl:

daggo66 03-28-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 2192029)
Well almost anywhere, there are some hill climbs and ledges that you just cant do without lockers.

I disagree. It can be done, just not with as much ease.

Ibuildembig 03-28-2012 02:33 PM

Yeah you have to do my approach....back up and hit it :)

I8up 03-28-2012 02:46 PM

Yeah Rubicons sure are purty

WatchThis! 03-28-2012 03:00 PM

There will allways be that place that a locked stock jeep can climb that one thats stock and not locked cant go. 4 wheels pulling full force is just better then the power being split between them. This is not a problem for lots of folks that dont want to attempt these kinds of things... But the only way an unlocked jeep can make it up such hills is by using a locked jeep up top as an tie off point for there winch.... Im not trying to get in a pissing contest but thats just the way it is.

daggo66 03-28-2012 03:05 PM

It depends on the driver and the vehicle. There are no absolutes. A 4 door will climb hills that stop a 2 door. The JK with Trac Lok and BLD along with a driver who knows how to use them will surprise you.

I'm not saying that lockers aren't better, I'm saying they make things easier.

JIMBOX 03-28-2012 03:10 PM

:D--I don't care !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

baytownbert 03-28-2012 03:15 PM

One time in Hot Springs, Arkansas, a number of us short Jeeps were trying repeatedly to get up a gnarly longish incline with limited success. A basically stock Cherokee w/MT's came along and slowly drove up it and went out of sight. It was quiet as a mouse...

Ibuildembig 03-28-2012 03:19 PM

But there are always gonna be trails and times where speed and power are needed.....ya can't crawl up everything :)

CharTay 03-28-2012 03:39 PM

The only time I see locker in my bros Jeep out do my Jeep is in the rocks and I usually just hit it going a little faster and I'm fine!

ESP 03-28-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jervboy (Post 2192313)
Thanks for all the info Dawgs! I did know about all the differences and also have read that instead of paying up front in the area of 6-7 grand for the Rubicon you would be better served investing less aftermarket and modifying your rig and wind up with better results. I just keep seeing and hearing different things with regards to comparisons between Wranglers and say Toyota FJ Cruisers or some other off road vehickles and they always compare them but they do the comparison with a Rubicon. I was just wondering how my JKUS measured up?

FJs and JKs :popcorn:

Jeep Rubicon and Toyota FJ Cruiser Off-Road in Hawaii - YouTube


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.