Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Zone 3" review (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/zone-3-review-149585.html)

VoodooShot 03-28-2012 12:36 PM

Zone 3" review

1 Attachment(s)
Can't find a review on them .
I included a pic . Does this kit come with everything I need ?
I ordered my 31 duratracs. I know I don't need a lift yet was going for a little bit more travel .

Diverdown87 03-28-2012 01:02 PM

Wrong kit if you have a YJ. That looks like a TJ or JK lift........

VoodooShot 03-28-2012 04:32 PM

Yes I have a 99 tj 4.0 5speed
The profile won't let me update ;(

rjpark36 03-28-2012 05:05 PM

It includes a front track bar relocation bracket, but many have had problems with this. An adjustable front track bar would be a good addition if funding allows.

jrussblues 03-28-2012 05:46 PM

31's on a 3" lift are going to start looking a wee bit small. You may want to stick with stock and run sway bar disconnects if you want more travel. Or go with a 2" lift, usually no need to replace track bars on a 2" lift.

Racer38 03-28-2012 05:52 PM

This is basically the same kit I bought, only I went with 4". The front track bar requires a new hole drilled where it mounts to the front diff, the rear has a bracket and also has some pinion shims to adjust the angle in the rear. You will need a good die grinder and burr bit to elongate the holes for the pinion shims. Its a pretty complete kit minus some of the fancy stuff. My 4" kit came with the lower arms that are pretty beefy, and it flexes really well. I put a RE adjustable front track bar instead of drilling the hole.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...p/IMG_0039.jpg

VoodooShot 03-28-2012 07:03 PM

Ty .
Hey Racer38 great pic .
May I ask what size tires ?
I needed new set now is why I went with 31 . Couldn't wait till I got $ for lift .

GoldenSahara00 03-28-2012 07:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I run the lift, it's a good kit. Paint the metal on the shocks because it's rust prone. The rest of the metal is good. I love the ride and travel and spring rates. Very nice. 31s might look small but if they are new 31s they should look alright. 32s might have been a better choice. Here's my jeep about a year ago on bald 31s that didn't measure near 31 and the lift then 33s and the lift

Racer38 03-28-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooShot (Post 2193561)
Ty .
Hey Racer38 great pic .
May I ask what size tires ?
I needed new set now is why I went with 31 . Couldn't wait till I got $ for lift .

33 x 12.5 15's on Ravine 15 x 8 Stock wheels and Spider 1.5 inch spacers.

KKhamesi 03-28-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjpark36 (Post 2193136)
It includes a front track bar relocation bracket, but many have had problems with this. An adjustable front track bar would be a good addition if funding allows.

that bracket is for the rear and for the front u just have to re drill the hole. if ur precise then ull be fine if not ur better off getting an adjustable one

Diverdown87 03-29-2012 07:41 AM

I bought the Zone 4.25" Combo kit. Pretty much same as what you have pictured except came with 1.25 body lift and 1" motor mount lift. No transfer case drop or shims needed.
My suggestion is to buy an adjustable front trackbar. I bought a Rubicon Express one for mine. This will eliminate the need to drill the hole and weaken the front mount.
The only thing that will need to be done is possibly to weld a washer over the stock hole since the TB bolt that comes with the new one is smaller than OEM.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...p/P3140889.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...p/P3140891.jpg

rjpark36 03-29-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKhamesi (Post 2194253)
that bracket is for the rear and for the front u just have to re drill the hole. if ur precise then ull be fine if not ur better off getting an adjustable one

Thanks for the clarification. I have heard of many folks having problems with the hole wallowing out after a while. I'm looking at this same set-up, and think that the adjustable front trackbar sounds like a worth while investment.

Westbrook 03-29-2012 06:57 PM

I have this kit sitting in my room currently. Hoping to get it on the Jeep in the next month once i get some more cash. I'll let you know what I think once I get it on if I beat you to it.

GoldenSahara00 03-29-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjpark36

Thanks for the clarification. I have heard of many folks having problems with the hole wallowing out after a while. I'm looking at this same set-up, and think that the adjustable front trackbar sounds like a worth while investment.

The hole won't wallow out unless the bolt is loose. So either the bolts gettin loose and people done realize it, the bolt they is is worn, or the hole they drill is too big. I haven't had any problems. And it's a simple and cheap fix if you want to beef it up.

coors 03-29-2012 08:32 PM

I have the 4.25 with 33s. I like it and it rides better than stock.

VoodooShot 03-30-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westbrook
I have this kit sitting in my room currently. Hoping to get it on the Jeep in the next month once i get some more cash. I'll let you know what I think once I get it on if I beat you to it.

Hey thnx . I'm not sure when I'll do it . May have to wait till fall , if i can't find time before summer heat .

VoodooShot 03-30-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer38

33 x 12.5 15's on Ravine 15 x 8 Stock wheels and Spider 1.5 inch spacers.

Ya my 31 may look small then , hmmmmm . I'll have to save up xtra buy new tires again , sell these new ones , or just run them with lift for a year or 2 .

sandro 04-14-2012 10:50 AM

I just ordered the same kit Zone 3 inch lift for my 2001 TJ. I will repost when I get it on. I am going with 32 in tires.

sandro 04-19-2012 03:57 PM

Zone 3 in lift

5 Attachment(s)
O.K. we have progress. My kit arrived 2 days ago intact from Rockridge and included everhting it was supposed to. Longer sway bar links and rear track bar bracket, etc. Everything seems to be there. I got 2 boxes, one had the 4 shocks and steering stabilizer.
My mechanic friend is installing now so here are some pics. One pic is the rear coil spring and rear track bar bracket. Sorry pics not so good, I used my phone.
I will post again after we do the rest in a day or so and get the tires on etc.
Also here is a pic of my jeep bone stock with 30 in tires before lift. Jeep sits level, it's just that parking lot space makes it look higher in the front.
Tape measure showing height of 18 in before lift. I measured at the body right by the step bar/pass door.

Westbrook 04-19-2012 06:04 PM

My Jeep will be in my hands next week at this time with lift installed, can't wait

sandro 04-20-2012 05:52 AM

Almost

2 Attachment(s)
Ahhh ... Progress!
Almost done, you can see the back end is definitely higher now. The front end was in progress late last night, hopefully done today and then off to discount tire. :dance:

Prestn 04-20-2012 06:36 AM

I installed the 3" kit last week and my installer drilled the hole to big for the front track bar so now I got an adjustable one on the way. The lift is great at least I think it will be after I get the TeraFlex adjustable bar in Monday. Here is before and after pictures with 31" tires.

http://i.imgur.com/hiHy1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vIMSG.jpg

shrekfx 04-20-2012 07:09 AM

I go the 3in lift as well. Love it. I plan on getting a sye though so i can get the transfer case back up thought.

Prestn 04-20-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestn (Post 2282120)
I installed the 3" kit last week and my installer drilled the hole to big for the front track bar so now I got an adjustable one on the way. The lift is great at least I think it will be after I get the TeraFlex adjustable bar in Monday. Here is before and after pictures with 31" tires.

The installer didn't drill the hole to big but I had some play in my stock track bar when we moved it to the new drilled hole. I got the death wobble driving home so we decided it best to not mess with the newly drilled hole and to just get the adjustable track bar and stick with the stock hole.

The lift is a good solid kit but like others have suggested look at either an adjustable front track bar or a front track bar relocation bracket and do not grill a new hole.

sandro 04-20-2012 02:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine was drilled, I just went and looked. Haven't driven it yet I'm still at work and they have to do the steering stab and sway bar links.
Here is a really bad pic, but it's about 22 inches after lift vs. 18-18 1/2 in before. Looks silly with 30 in tires but I will fix that tonight or tomorrow with new tires.

JeepandMud 04-20-2012 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the zone 3" with the 1" MML, and 1.25" BL, and have enjoyed it a lot. No big issues, only thing I needed was a steering stabilizer and that was it. Other than that, it flexes well and I'm excited to continue breaking it in with the trails :).

et43011 04-21-2012 08:31 AM

Hey just wondering what shocks everyone is running? I've heard the Nitros are stiff but last long, but the Hydros have a better ride. Any suggestions? :wavey:

Prestn 04-21-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by et43011 (Post 2286221)
Hey just wondering what shocks everyone is running? I've heard the Nitros are stiff but last long, but the Hydros have a better ride. Any suggestions? :wavey:

I can say the Hyrdos are soft. They are softer then my stock shocks.

GoldenSahara00 04-21-2012 09:16 AM

I love the hydros. A whole year and probably close 20 wheeling trips and they are still great.

JeepandMud 04-21-2012 04:00 PM

I didn't upgrade to the nitros, didn't hear real good things for them as far as ride quality. So I stuck with the basic hydros.