Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What has everyone used LEDs for in there TJ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-has-everyone-used-leds-for-in-there-tj-149750.html)

Cole 33 03-28-2012 11:25 PM

What has everyone used LEDs for in there TJ?

Ok I'm looking for I'm lighting ideas and I was wondering what everyone has done for lighting. Interior and exterior lighting!

StevieDhh 03-29-2012 05:31 AM

I bought LEDs for my rear tail, turn and brake lights. I like them but you need to change out the relay because they blink fast. I'm leaving mine as i. Bought them on Ebay.

jeepdude2003 03-29-2012 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Led dash

Cole 33 03-31-2012 12:42 AM

Bump

DevilDogDoc 03-31-2012 12:43 AM

Only incandescent on mine are the headlights.

Cole 33 03-31-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc
Only incandescent on mine are the headlights.

Ya I'm ready for my head lights to go out because they need a major upgrade! What kind do u have?

alice the cat 03-31-2012 01:12 AM

Great thread idea. I am going to get these headlights for my truck but I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative for the Jeep. I know some guys complain about them not melting snow but I don't have to worry about that.

7" LED HEADLIGHT H4 CONVERSION HEADLAMP HID LIGHT BULBS 12 VOLT PAIR NEW | eBay

EMSRubi 03-31-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice the cat
Great thread idea. I am going to get these headlights for my truck but I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative for the Jeep. I know some guys complain about them not melting snow but I don't have to worry about that.

7" LED HEADLIGHT H4 CONVERSION HEADLAMP HID LIGHT BULBS 12 VOLT PAIR NEW | eBay

Man those are expensive lights, I don't think those would be worth the money.

alice the cat 03-31-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMSRubi (Post 2202602)
Man those are expensive lights, I don't think those would be worth the money.

They do not make sense for a TJ for sure but they do for my truck. They are getting great reviews from everyone except again the guys that have to worry about a lot of snow. It was not long ago that HID conversions were more expensive than this, I hope the price comes down as quickly with LED's.

f9k9 03-31-2012 07:48 AM

Rock lights

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...Ds%2520002.jpg

DevilDogDoc 03-31-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole 33 (Post 2202510)
Ya I'm ready for my head lights to go out because they need a major upgrade! What kind do u have?

Autopal H4 ECE housings, silverstar bulbs and an upgraded harness. I myself would not pay $500 for headlights led or not. Too easy to break on the trail.

EMSRubi 03-31-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

They do not make sense for a TJ for sure but they do for my truck. They are getting great reviews from everyone except again the guys that have to worry about a lot of snow. It was not long ago that HID conversions were more expensive than this, I hope the price comes down as quickly with LED's.

What's wrong with snow and leds? The only thing I'm really getting are led aux lights and a light bar across the hood.

Moose-Island 03-31-2012 01:14 PM

Starting the upgrade

I am just starting with the LED upgrade. Two cool white bulbs for my back up lights. With these and a lens/reflector upgrade I am hoping that the back-ups will be powerful enough that I will not have to clutter up the rear end with a separate high power back up light.

alice the cat 03-31-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMSRubi (Post 2203551)
What's wrong with snow and leds? The only thing I'm really getting are led aux lights and a light bar across the hood.

The LED headlights don't get hot enough to melt the snow build up so pretty soon you can't see where you are going. :eek:

KidRock171 03-31-2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everything.

Pipp88 03-31-2012 06:37 PM

Kidrock I like what you did been thinking of doing that myself. Can you give some detail on what you used and from where

KidRock171 03-31-2012 06:50 PM

Follow this video. At the end. All the part numbers are listed they all have a CW in them for cool white. My part numbers had the same digits but an R where the CW was. He said "some lights didn't work" led lights are polarized. If they don't work take em out 180 them and they'll work just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KG4...e_gdata_player

If you have an automatic there's some janky stuff that I did cuz I couldn't find a led to fit the shifter plate. I'll explain if y'all want.

EMSRubi 03-31-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

The LED headlights don't get hot enough to melt the snow build up so pretty soon you can't see where you are going. :eek:

Ok, I thought they shorted out if water/snow got into them.

Cole 33 03-31-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171
Follow this video. At the end. All the part numbers are listed they all have a CW in them for cool white. My part numbers had the same digits but an R where the CW was. He said "some lights didn't work" led lights are polarized. If they don't work take em out 180 them and they'll work just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KG4...e_gdata_player

If you have an automatic there's some janky stuff that I did cuz I couldn't find a led to fit the shifter plate. I'll explain if y'all want.

Ya those are sweet! Did u put in a separate switch so you can turn them on and of separately or are they connected to anything else?

KidRock171 03-31-2012 10:56 PM

Pull out the factory lights and put the led's in. They turn on just like your lights now. I no longer have white lights in my jeep, everything's red :thumb:

SandDevil93 03-31-2012 11:00 PM

Superbrightleds.com for interior lighting and KC lites for the exterior.

Cole 33 03-31-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Pull out the factory lights and put the led's in. They turn on just like your lights now. I no longer have white lights in my jeep, everything's red :thumb:

Oh nice how's the lighting for the red compared to the white?

KidRock171 03-31-2012 11:31 PM

I like it a lot. It's kinda hard to read a map. But other than that no big difference. I get compliments on it often cuz I usually roll with them on when the top is off at night.

Cole 33 03-31-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

I like it a lot. It's kinda hard to read a map. But other than that no big difference. I get compliments on it often cuz I usually roll with them on when the top is off at night.

Ya I bet I think im gonna do mine blue because that's the color of my deck

00tjsprt 04-01-2012 12:49 AM

i love those rock lights.

KidRock171 04-01-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole 33

Ya I bet I think im gonna do mine blue because that's the color of my deck

Good choice. I got a red jeep. So when I was upgrading I got a red pioneer. The rest just followed. Id think a bout color matching your jeep before matching the headunit. It would look better to other people.

EMSRubi 04-01-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Do you think blue or white would look good on a red jeep?

HesterLigon 04-01-2012 03:06 AM

I like them but you need to change out the relay
http://www.australialuxe.info/013-1.jpg

KidRock171 04-01-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMSRubi

Do you think blue or white would look good on a red jeep?

It could. I'm no professional. I'm not really sure how bright LED blue would look shining out of a red jeep,

Moose-Island 04-01-2012 11:35 AM

$25.00 light bulb.

The first phase of my rear light upgrade. Superbright LED's Cool White Tower Bulbs for the back-up lights. I put the first one in last night as a test. It was amazing !

At least twice as bright as stock. Things will get better - I have Rampage tail light conversion kits which will add improved optics.

I plan to get LED conversions for every light that does not blink. Sadly, not headlights - just cannot afford them.

It's nice to start a project out with a success !