Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What else do i need w/a slip yoke eliminator SYE? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-else-do-i-need-w-a-slip-yoke-eliminator-sye-149761.html)

saiyan slayr915 03-29-2012 01:28 AM

What else do i need w/a slip yoke eliminator SYE?
 
i have a 4 inch lift, and dropped the transfer case a couple inches. Truth be told, i dont like the t-case drop, so i would like to get a SYE. I have a 4.0 L tj non-rubicon.

What other components do i need to go along with the SYE? im assuming i cant use the stock drive shaft because that wouldnt make sense.

also, do i need to reset the pinon angle? and do the Rubicon Transfer case come with SYE?

oIIIIIIo 03-29-2012 11:05 AM

You will need a new cv ds for your sye install. Also, some good quality pair of snap ring pliers and other misc tools. Most importantly the snap ring pliers.

jim9006 03-29-2012 11:31 AM

Correct you can't use your drive shaft, a new cv type is required. Pinon angle will require a set of adjustable upper control arms and an angle finder (my iTouch has an app that works really well for this). Snap ring pliers AND ring pliers (ring pliers are different) because you'll cry big tears trying to get that ring clamp off without the correct tool.

yoopone 03-29-2012 12:08 PM

If I am not mistaken you do not need a SYE on a Rubicon. Do you have a Ruby? If so a new driveshaft and adjustable upper control arms will do the trick as said above. Then just a good angle gauge and measure the pinion angle and drive shaft angle.

Imped 03-29-2012 02:10 PM

You need adjustable control arms so that you can tilt the pinion up correctly and a double cardan drive shaft. That's the bare minimum.

The NP241 has a fixed yoke (what you'll have after you replace the stock tail housing with a fixed yoke tail housing, aka a SYE). It doesn't have, nor does it need, a SYE because there's no slip yoke to eliminate.

TnDz TJ 03-29-2012 02:40 PM

As others have stated.. Adj. Upper Control Arms is a must to adjust your pinion as well as a double cardin shaft ( also called a CV shaft). Also... your trackbar has not been brought up. When you rotate your pinion, you cause a misalignment of the trackbar bracket on the axle to the frame. If you are running an OEM trackbar with a standard rear trackbar bracket, you have two options, (1) get a new adjustable trackbar to deal with the this or (2) get a CV angled rear trackbar bracket from RE or JKS.

So you understand the difference... Here are a few pics


Straight ( what you should already have)

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Images...RE1603/590.jpg

RE1602 Angled Rear Bracket for CV to allow rotation without binding your track bar.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Images...RE1602/324.jpg

saiyan slayr915 03-31-2012 12:39 AM

thanks for all the help!
i do not have a Rubi...
is it difficult to install a SYE? i am under the impression that it is fairly easy...
and what about the difficulty/ skill level required to change pinion angle?

TnDz TJ 03-31-2012 02:03 AM

No.. its not that hard. Just did mine last night. I opted to take the T-case out and do it rather than fight crap over my head.

Common hand tools will work for most of it....
You need a 12point 10mm socket for ONE bolt...
Lock ring pliers are a MUST.
RTV


Take your time... about 3-4 hours.... Biggest thing to concern yourself with is the oil pump and tube. Take care not to break the pump and/or the tube.... just be careful.

CleopatraFey 03-31-2012 02:15 AM

You will need a new cv ds for your sye install
http://www.australialuxe.info/013-1.jpg

doclouie 03-31-2012 09:44 AM

I plan on doing this too. Does anyone have a picture of the snap ring pliers that must be used? I have snap ring pliers, but I have heard these need to be a larger size or something.

TnDz TJ 03-31-2012 09:50 AM

Here is a pic that looks the ones I used look like and worked PERFECT....

About 6-8" long...

http://www.virtualtoolvan.com/shop/images/L4490.jpg

jrussblues 03-31-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnDz TJ
No.. its not that hard. Just did mine last night. I opted to take the T-case out and do it rather than fight crap over my head.

Common hand tools will work for most of it....
You need a 12point 10mm socket for ONE bolt...
Lock ring pliers are a MUST.
RTV

Take your time... about 3-4 hours.... Biggest thing to concern yourself with is the oil pump and tube. Take care not to break the pump and/or the tube.... just be careful.

This + black rtv and don't forget to rtv the speedo gear o-ring. Overall not bad, just messy and an extra set of hands really helps to move things along.

doclouie 03-31-2012 10:07 AM

Thanks

kbarber 07-16-2012 02:30 PM

I resurect thee, thread of SYE questions for one last question....I have a 2.5'' OME lift, and I installed the rear track bar relocation bracket with the lift. I know I will need the new CV angled bracket to install my SYE and prevent the track bar from messing stuff up.

So my question is....Will I keep the OME bracket on, then add the CV
bracket? Or remove the OME bracket, then add the angled bracket?????:confused:

jim9006 07-16-2012 03:13 PM

Upon looking at mine either beacket should work. I'm using the JKS adjustable track bar with the non-angled bracket. Had to use a bracket because the grease nipple on the end of the track bar requires clearance. Other than that issue you might not even need an axtra bracket at all.

kbarber 07-17-2012 03:34 PM

Okay, thanks for the input jim. Maybe I'll just go for it and see, if i need a bracket, i'll get one.

shanes04wrangler 07-17-2012 05:55 PM

when you get a sye do you have to remove your mml ?

kbarber 07-18-2012 06:36 AM

Nope, you can keep your mml. As that actually works with your SYE and rear upper control arms to maintain correct driveline angles.

saiyan slayr915 07-19-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbarber
Nope, you can keep your mml. As that actually works with your SYE and rear upper control arms to maintain correct driveline angles.

What is an mml?

saiyan slayr915 07-19-2012 03:44 PM

Motor mount lift. Got it

saiyan slayr915 07-19-2012 03:53 PM

How does a mml work to correct driveline angles after a SYE is installed? It sounds like your saying the factory driveline is incorrect. I'm baffled.

Quest4life 07-24-2012 12:47 AM

sye
 
I just bought my Jeep a few months ago and it is my first. I am very mechanical and in fact I have my own lift in my garage. What I am not sure of is all the terms sometimes used. I have an 03 TJ 4.0 with a 3.5 lift. I run 33in tires. All is good. I dropped the TC about 1.5 in. and for the most part is all works well. I would rather have the TC at its original position or at least close to it. I want to install a SYE. I looked at a few including Tom Woods and Denny's driveshaft’s. Both look strong. Denny's is a "Jeep CV Driveshaft 1310 series double cardan driveshaft". So if I have this do I still need a SYE? It seems as if you do. Can you just put in the CV Driveshaft and put in the SYE later or does it need to go on at the same time. I do not have very deep pockets so I need to do it right but as simple as possible. Keep in mind I bought my Jeep because I love the way they look and drive and will most probably never do any major offroading. What is the best place to get one? The price is close and they both look pretty nice. I will put up pictures as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for any assistance.

Powertrip 07-24-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quest4life (Post 2616119)
I just bought my Jeep a few months ago and it is my first. I am very mechanical and in fact I have my own lift in my garage. What I am not sure of is all the terms sometimes used. I have an 03 TJ 4.0 with a 3.5 lift. I run 33in tires. All is good. I dropped the TC about 1.5 in. and for the most part is all works well. I would rather have the TC at its original position or at least close to it. I want to install a SYE. I looked at a few including Tom Woods and Denny's driveshaft’s. Both look strong. Denny's is a "Jeep CV Driveshaft 1310 series double cardan driveshaft". So if I have this do I still need a SYE? It seems as if you do. Can you just put in the CV Driveshaft and put in the SYE later or does it need to go on at the same time. I do not have very deep pockets so I need to do it right but as simple as possible. Keep in mind I bought my Jeep because I love the way they look and drive and will most probably never do any major offroading. What is the best place to get one? The price is close and they both look pretty nice. I will put up pictures as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for any assistance.

I'm getting ready to take on this project as well, and it is my understanding that yes, you will need a SYE as well. when you install a SYE, it changes the distance from your transfer case to your rear pinion, so you will need to order a CV driveshaft to fit that distance. If you were to order one to fit the current distance (without a SYE installed), it wouldn't fit after the SYE is installed. I hope that makes sense.

As far as not having deep pockets, I totally understand that! That's why I'm ordering parts as my budget allows. They might sit on the shelf for a while until I have everything I need, but at least that way I know I'm not doing it half-assed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.