Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Backing up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/backing-up-14979.html)

debruins 01-21-2008 12:25 PM

Backing up

I remember a thread about backing into little cars but anyways i couldnt find it.....

last night i backed up into a fire hydrant, it didnt do that much damage, just a foot long indent in the rear bumper that is about 1 in deep and 1/4 across

but im wondering how all you guys avoid this, because there was no way i was gonna see it, the top only came up to abut the bottom of my spare and even if my side view mirrors were tilted all the way in, i only backed up 5 feet so i still wouldnt have seen it, how do you guys avoid this, besides like getting out and looking, but im not gonna do that at 11 at night!

Scout 01-21-2008 12:44 PM

I turn around and look behind me. It has worked for over 20 years of driving.

bpowa 01-21-2008 01:28 PM

^^^ agree. I just got done with emergency vehicle trainning.. most minor accidents occur when you backup without looking back. looking in the mirrors is not enough.

it also helps to look around before getting in your car; for other reasons also.

Smeghead 01-21-2008 01:41 PM

Fire Hydrants are always on the sidewalk. Stay off the sidewalk and learn to park.

tiny terror 01-21-2008 01:45 PM

Fire hydrants tend to not be in the middle of the street... you backed up five feet onto the curb?

(smeg :D)

Darton 01-21-2008 01:47 PM

I remember learning some where to always be aware of my surroundings. Not to lecture but what if that hydrant was a two year old. You wouldn't have seem them either.

chezuki 01-21-2008 03:25 PM

As stated, they tend not to put them where you should be driving, and in fact, it's illegal to park in front of them. So, how exactly did you get in a situation where there was even the possibility of carelessly backing into one?

lost 01-21-2008 03:31 PM

I've seen many fire hydrants in front of houses / by driveways, maybe he hit one while parking?

debruins 01-21-2008 04:00 PM

yeah i dropped someone off in their driveway and then backed out of their driveway and just caught the fire hydrant on the pass. side i was probabaly off the road by about 3 inches since there arent any sidewalks in that neighborhood, and the part that caght my car was the like huge nut that sticks out from the actauly like pipe part.

and thats why im worried, if it was daytime it could have been a kid, or i guess at night too

and i dont use my mirrors to look b/c my mirrors are always messed up from me and other people opening the doors too wide, but the thing is that i have a spare in the way of seeing as well as being up off the ground about 4 and a half feet, and i never got out of the car to even see what was behind me cause i just dropped the kid off

it wasnt my driving that was the problem, it was not seeing how close i was to the edge of the road, and not seeing the fire hydrant,

orange05tj 01-21-2008 04:05 PM

this post had disaster written all over it from the start. :D

debruins 01-21-2008 04:09 PM

sheesh i know, even though i speeled almost everything right!

but im being serious, i dont wanna run over any kids or other things, and it is a problem i know ya'll have b/c there was a thread like 5 months ago about it as well, but there was never any good solution to it besides, "well sucks for them to back up while you are"

tiny terror 01-21-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 184677)
it wasnt my driving that was the problem, it was not seeing how close i was to the edge of the road, and not seeing the fire hydrant,

Technically, that is your driving that was the problem. You have to be aware, no matter how hard. You lifted the jeep and placed a tire on there that blocks your view (or purchased it that way) so you have to be diligent and walk around your jeep every time.

debruins 01-21-2008 04:16 PM

ok true i could walk around my jeepe very time i back up, but is there an easier way, or should i just cross my fingers and pray there isnt anyhting less than 3 feet tall back there, becuase im not gonna do that

tiny terror 01-21-2008 04:27 PM

How much easier than walking around your jeep does it have to be?

1BLKJP 01-21-2008 04:31 PM

The best way to work with these situations is just to know your surroundings. The more you drive you will notice that you pay a lot more attention to everything that is going on around you. When I drive down a street I notice where every car is parked every trash can, mailbox, etc..... It all comes with age and experience. Yeah, I'm sure that most of us have nudged something in our driveways, garages, curbs etc.... No one is perfect, but as you've stated about worrying in case children or pets are near. You drive a modified vehicle and there should be extra steps taken to ensure you are being a safe driver.

Dare2BSquare 01-21-2008 04:33 PM

Back-up camera?

Just made for lazy people! :wavey:

Find a way to tape it and it can be used for cool wheeling videos.

Darton 01-21-2008 04:35 PM

Ok, i've had about enough of this. Can I see your license and registration please...

debruins 01-21-2008 04:39 PM

i looked at the back up cameras but they're about $400 and i can buy a solid bumper for that and not worry about damage to my jeep, but that wont help whatever i hit if i hit anything

and darton im sorry for looking for help so it doesnt happen again as opposed to not telling everyone and hitting something later on :doh: (sarcasm ;-) )

cherokee980 01-21-2008 04:43 PM

beep...beep....beep...beep...

tiny terror 01-21-2008 04:46 PM

But, you've discounted any help that's been offered.

1BLKJP 01-21-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 184709)

Nice work with having 8k posts there Ms. Terror. :D

tiny terror 01-21-2008 04:51 PM

Shhhhh Jack. I'm still expecting you to half my post count one of these days.

Dare2BSquare 01-21-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 184709)

I don't think he was looking for help. It was just his masochistic tendancies kicking in.

Darton 01-21-2008 06:09 PM

It's ok young grasshopper

nicolas-eric 01-21-2008 06:22 PM

i have a big 35" spare in the rear and donīt see very much there. but i never hit anything when backing up.
perhaps you should take some more driving lessons... :rofl: http://www.offroad-forum.de/images/smiles/ecm_05.gif

debruins 01-21-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 184715)
Shhhhh Jack. I'm still expecting you to half my post count one of these days.

please do then ill ahve more posts thatn tiny!!!!!

rebelBullDawg325 01-21-2008 06:44 PM

ok, wow, i just read the hole thread and not to take sides here. but it does seem that the majoirty of you were against debruins from the start of it. not even asking how far awy the hydrant was or anything like. automatically assuming he backed 5 feet off the street to hit the hydrant he illegally parked in front of. which, according to his story, none of yall are right. i also dont see where he has discounted every piece of "help" offered. the only thing he said he wasnt gonna do was walk around his jeep everytime he gets ready to go. how many of us do that anyways? be honest. the rest of the "help" that was offered seemed to come in a very negative fasion which, more often than not, is rejected just because how it was served up. stop being down on him for being a kid with less expierence than most of yall, and give him the credit for coming to yall for help. most teens could care less, esp this day in age.

back to the question, debruins, you said you dont use you're mirrors bc they are oftne mis-located. i understand that bc it happens to me all the time. but use your mirrors as often as possible. i've got some of them little round mirrors (dont know what they're called) stuck onto the outside lower corners of both my mirrors and they really help me to see stuff that is close to the sides of the jeep that are too low for the normal mirrors or to see and the short stuff that you cant see when you turn around and look out the back window. maybe you could give those a try.

machine 01-21-2008 06:57 PM

mud is usually covering my windows so i open the door and lean out and look behind me

debruins 01-21-2008 07:15 PM

thanks rebel thats a good idea, just like steal a mirror off my old bike and put it on the elbow part?

but thats still nto gonna help behind me, maybe the best thing to do is pull forward a few feet so i can see whats there and then back up, just hope that no one is there and thinks im drunk haha

distortedtj 01-21-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 184702)
i looked at the back up cameras but they're about $400 and i can buy a solid bumper for that and not worry about damage to my jeep, but that wont help whatever i hit if i hit anything

and darton im sorry for looking for help so it doesnt happen again as opposed to not telling everyone and hitting something later on :doh: (sarcasm ;-) )

$99 @ walmart:D got one for my tow rig. yeah its cheap but i can hook up a trailer on the first try buy myself in 15 seconds. It comes with the carmera that bolts using your top lisence plate bolts the cable and screen. The screen is 3''tall and 4''wide so it is easy to find a place to mount it. :wavey: