Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Wrangler JK Soft Top Installation (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-wrangler-jk-soft-top-installation-149806.html)

khinder 03-29-2012 10:09 AM

2012 Wrangler JK Soft Top Installation
 
We are having trouble on the first time installation of the soft top that came with our 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I need advice on how the mount is attached to the roll bar and can only find advice on lowering and raising the top. Not specific installation.

2012Jeep 03-29-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khinder (Post 2196137)
We are having trouble on the first time installation of the soft top that came with our 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I need advice on how the mount is attached to the roll bar and can only find advice on lowering and raising the top. Not specific installation.

I'm ashamed to admit that it took me about 1.5 hours to figure this out myself, and I searched everywhere online.

If you look on the rollbar on the inner-side (pointing toward the front), you'll see that there are velcro pieces that pull partially away (off the padding). Under there, you'll see 2 small screws (T30 Torx, which I didn't have, but found a hex wrench that did the trick).

If you look at the softtop bars, you'll see the pieces that have those 2 holes (if I remember correctly, one says Top and Left - that's how you know which side it goes on).

If you need more than that, I can go out to my Jeep and take pictures.

BillCDuxbury 04-11-2012 10:33 AM

That reply is a huge help- I had the same problem last weekend, and abandoned putting the soft top on for the first time because I couldn't find any information in the owner's manual or the internet about the hardware installation necessary.

blondiemachine 05-14-2012 08:11 PM

thx helps me too...I guess they really want you to take the vehicle back to squeeze a few more bucks out of ya for the initial install.

gymscar 05-24-2012 09:47 AM

I'm having trouble keeping the side panels of my 2012 Wrangler soft top wrapped around the door pillars. Under speed they flip out and flap in the wind. Any suggestions?

MTH 05-24-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymscar
I'm having trouble keeping the side panels of my 2012 Wrangler soft top wrapped around the door pillars. Under speed they flip out and flap in the wind. Any suggestions?

Yup, you're not installing them correctly.

(1) With top otherwise up and done, hang a window using the Velcro.

(2) Zip the zipper NO MORE than 6". Just get it started.

(3) Fold the part that you're currently seeing flap in the breeze in toward the plastic door surround behind it, tucking the hard plastic that's embedded in the window fabric into the channel in the door surround. It folds over in a "u" shape. This is the step you're presently missing.

(4) Zip the zipper the rest of the way.

(5) Stretch and leverage the plastic strip on the bottom of the window into the channel on the jeep's body. You may need to go back to step 3 and retuck a bit to make sure it's still in tight after doing this.

(6) Fix the Velcro and admire handiwork.

The window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.

In essence, the window is secured on the top and rear by the zipper, and on the bottom and front by attached/embedded plastic that's folded into a channel on the jeep/door surround. You're missing the step to secure the front.

sandbaja 05-24-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymscar (Post 2400302)
I'm having trouble keeping the side panels of my 2012 Wrangler soft top wrapped around the door pillars. Under speed they flip out and flap in the wind. Any suggestions?

The panels must wrap into the channel. The softtop has an L shaped hard plastic piece woven into the fabric. The add-on plastic piece (his left hand is on it) has a channel (inside the door pillar) that the L shaped piece fits into. the channel is right about where the guys left thumb is running top to bottom.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...opsiderail.jpg

chidychi 05-24-2012 02:30 PM

Thanks
 
I came here wondering this same thing and was pleased by the timing.
Will try tonight.:)

IowaRaider 05-24-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondiemachine (Post 2368614)
thx helps me too...I guess they really want you to take the vehicle back to squeeze a few more bucks out of ya for the initial install.

Any dealer worth going back to would help you put it on and show you how the first time for free.

Mike- 06-13-2013 03:23 AM

This was SUPER HELPFUL - Thanks so much
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2400388)
Yup, you're not installing them correctly.

(1) With top otherwise up and done, hang a window using the Velcro.

(2) Zip the zipper NO MORE than 6". Just get it started.

(3) Fold the part that you're currently seeing flap in the breeze in toward the plastic door surround behind it, tucking the hard plastic that's embedded in the window fabric into the channel in the door surround. It folds over in a "u" shape. This is the step you're presently missing.

(4) Zip the zipper the rest of the way.

(5) Stretch and leverage the plastic strip on the bottom of the window into the channel on the jeep's body. You may need to go back to step 3 and retuck a bit to make sure it's still in tight after doing this.

(6) Fix the Velcro and admire handiwork.

The window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.

In essence, the window is secured on the top and rear by the zipper, and on the bottom and front by attached/embedded plastic that's folded into a channel on the jeep/door surround. You're missing the step to secure the front.

Too bad Jeep couldn't have provided these instructions in the manual. Followed this procedure to a "T" and it worked perfect. I was worried things were going to periodically flap loose on the highway forever!


Very helpful. THANKS

MTH 06-13-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike- (Post 3856058)
Too bad Jeep couldn't have provided these instructions in the manual. Followed this procedure to a "T" and it worked perfect. I was worried things were going to periodically flap loose on the highway forever!


Very helpful. THANKS

No problem. :thumb:

From now on, you'll regularly see jeeps on the road making this same mistake. I saw one just this past weekend. Makes me want to try to get them to pull them over so I can fix it--you know it's driving them nuts.

Mike- 06-15-2013 01:37 AM

I'm guessing after a season on there the zippers will be easier to go around the corner ?!

chidychi 06-17-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike- (Post 3862627)
I'm guessing after a season on there the zippers will be easier to go around the corner ?!

nope.
You will just get stronger!

jrohan07 06-17-2013 03:56 PM

I also discovered that if you purchase a used soft top and don't check for the roll bar brackets may have been left on the original Jeep. If just missing screws for the brackets a temp solution is to use the screws holding in the floor loops in the cargo area under the mat. They are a perfect fit to screw into rollbar or you can take the screw and find a match at home depot.
At least you get to enjoy the soft top while waiting on replacement.

Jeepalicious 07-02-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbaja (Post 2400394)
The panels must wrap into the channel. The softtop has an L shaped hard plastic piece woven into the fabric. The add-on plastic piece (his left hand is on it) has a channel (inside the door pillar) that the L shaped piece fits into. the channel is right about where the guys left thumb is running top to bottom.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...opsiderail.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2400388)
Yup, you're not installing them correctly.
(3) Fold the part that you're currently seeing flap in the breeze in toward the plastic door surround behind it, tucking the hard plastic that's embedded in the window fabric into the channel in the door surround. It folds over in a "u" shape.

The window will be very tight. Nothing flaps in the breeze.

In essence, the window is secured on the top and rear by the zipper, and on the bottom and front by attached/embedded plastic that's folded into a channel on the jeep/door surround. You're missing the step to secure the front.

OMFG - I wish these 2 had tutored me in Physics - best instructions/explanations EVER! I pulled over and fixed mine because I couldn't take it anymore - it worked perfectly just as described!!! I know it's an old thread but my appreciation is ETERNAL!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.