Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   shackle lift upsidedown? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/shackle-lift-upsidedown-149978.html)

Tang87 03-30-2012 12:11 AM

shackle lift upsidedown?
 
Is this possible? is there a set way to install the lift shackles? I feel like I put mine upsidedown :banghead:

2xs 03-30-2012 12:52 AM

Pics!

95YamJam 03-30-2012 06:37 AM

It can be possible. They can also be on backwards. My fronts were when I bought it. LOL!

Tang87 03-30-2012 09:24 AM

Well shoot. Ill get some pictures up when I go back out. Gotta do the rear still

Tang87 03-30-2012 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pi.

DirtRider1357 03-30-2012 11:16 AM

they are backwards, not upside down. also your leafsprings look like they are starting to bend or get a negative arch.

Tang87 03-30-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtRider1357
they are backwards, not upside down. also your leafsprings look like they are starting to bend or get a negative arch.

Well poop. I plan on eventually getting new springs with a lift kit soon but im always broke. Backwards so they are supposed to arch forward right?

Nubby55 03-30-2012 11:33 AM

Far as I Know, there upside down and backwards, or mine are! :redface:

DirtRider1357 03-30-2012 11:41 AM

for the front shackles, the arch should point towards the rear of the jeep. for the rear shackles, the arch should point towards the front of the jeep. as far as being upsidedown or not is personal preference. if you keep them the direction they are now, but just flip the arch around, it will help prevent spring inversion.

2xs 03-30-2012 12:44 PM

Im normally not one to preach for the "Search function", but this would really have helped you out!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/righ...gs-143064.html

Tang87 03-30-2012 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This better?

Tang87 03-30-2012 05:11 PM

Wait I think I read that backwards its ssupposed to point the other way lol

2xs 03-30-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tang87 (Post 2201182)
Wait I think I read that backwards its ssupposed to point the other way lol

:banghead: ?

Tang87 03-30-2012 07:53 PM

I fixed it lol now to get the back shackles on....those aren't as easy

busemans 03-30-2012 09:05 PM

nope, stupid bolts are put in with the head to the tank so you have to drop the tank to pull hte bolt out. put them in the other way when you put it back together so you won;t have to drop the tank next time. thats what i did

DILLIGAF 03-30-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busemans (Post 2201910)
nope, stupid bolts are put in with the head to the tank so you have to drop the tank to pull hte bolt out. put them in the other way when you put it back together so you won;t have to drop the tank next time. thats what i did



Yup. Been there...:)

Tang87 03-30-2012 09:16 PM

Yeah I was planning to try to pull the nuts off and try to pull the rubber out and metal pin and try to pry out the bolt, but my top bolt has no bushings to pull out and won't come out for the life of me so im stuck with dropping the skid ...and those bolts just spin ..

busemans 03-30-2012 09:18 PM

dang, that sucks.

DirtyRob 03-30-2012 09:42 PM

Cut the bolt get another bolt .......done :D

busemans 03-30-2012 09:44 PM

that would definitely be the fastest way.

Tang87 03-30-2012 09:59 PM

Yes I was going to cut but need a sawzall to get in the small space between the gas tank. Question for you guys should the rear shackles have bushings for the bolt through the frame?

busemans 03-30-2012 10:02 PM

hmmm, i don't remember where all those urethane bushings went

Tang87 03-30-2012 10:26 PM

Weird I think it came with 4 sets if bushings...

DirtRider1357 03-31-2012 05:46 PM

http://www.cdmfabrication.com/bbpics/shacklefrnt.jpg

set them up this way, arch points towards center of jeep, and the smaller section of the boomerang is on top.

Tang87 03-31-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtRider1357

set them up this way, arch points towards center of jeep, and the smaller section of the boomerang is on top.

Hm I see the rear have to be the other way. Would you happen to know if the rear have bushings on the top of the shackle? I don't think my frame has the holes for bushings.....

DirtyRob 04-01-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tang87 (Post 2202078)
Yes I was going to cut but need a sawzall to get in the small space between the gas tank. Question for you guys should the rear shackles have bushings for the bolt through the frame?

Every Jeep owner should own or have access to a sawzall, and 4 1/2 angle grinder :thumb:

Tang87 04-01-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string
Every Jeep owner should own or have access to a sawzall, and 4 1/2 angle grinder :thumb:

Have the angle grinder next is the sawzall I can get a cheap one for 60 or 100 bones


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.