Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Square lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/square-lights-15002.html)

Smeghead 01-22-2008 03:24 AM

Square lights

Im just wondering being new to Jeeps.
Why was the Yj the only Jeep to ever have square lights?
Did it prove unpopular with enthusiasts? Personally I like the square lights but I didnt want a Jeep that old. Theyve never gone back to square have they so I wonder if it proved unpopular.
Also i LOVE the square gauges on the YJ. Shame they didnt make them on into 1999

JCS05Rubi 01-22-2008 05:22 AM

I used to be in that "all Jeeps have round headlights" crowd, but I must say that the YJs really grew on me. They have my favorite interior, and they don't look too bad on the outside when modified either :)

As for being unpopular.. I remember something about YJ standing for "Yuppie Jeep" if that answers your question :D

Odd is he 01-22-2008 07:14 AM

I love mine.....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Jeep_SC019.jpg

foxinthemudd 01-22-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd is he (Post 184989)

why is your hard top hanging off the back end???:confused: Custom tree job :rofl: :doh:

Dare2BSquare 01-22-2008 07:52 AM

To me there is just something about the clean lines of the square lights that make the jeep look rougher and meaner.

The mall crawlers didn't like that, so they went back to round. :p

txjcb 01-22-2008 09:06 AM

BECAUSE YJ'S ARE THE COOLEST JEEP EVER(of course i own one:rolleyes:)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...7/IMG_0122.jpg

tiny terror 01-22-2008 09:11 AM

I like the square, I like the round. The YJ lasted as long as the TJ, so I'm not sure if it was unpopular since they stuck with it for ten years.... and don't Cherokees have square head lights?

And I agree with Dare, they're a bit meaner looking in their stance.... straighter hood where the TJ is sloped a bit?

sgnellett 01-22-2008 10:07 AM

It's another one of those things that will probably never be solved. The bean counters at Jeep wanted something a little more "mainstream" so they came up with something that looked different enough, but in stock trim, they lost a little bit of what made them Jeeps, as they were lower and I think wider than the CJ's they replaced, with the intent of making them better on road. Luckily, the mechanicals were not diluted, and with a little tinkering they were just as capable as the CJ. Lots lighter, more economical, etc.. As for the YJ vs TJ thing, don't even start that!

kEat 01-22-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxinthemudd (Post 184994)
why is your hard top hanging off the back end???:confused: Custom tree job :rofl: :doh:

Theres diamond plate corners there. It just LOOKS like theres nothing there. :doh:

nycom96 01-22-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txjcb (Post 185012)

x2

Odd is he 01-22-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kEat (Post 185045)
Theres diamond plate corners there. It just LOOKS like theres nothing there. :doh:

Correct :D

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Jeep_SC021.jpg

whiteyj 01-22-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smeghead (Post 184977)
Im just wondering being new to Jeeps.
Why was the Yj the only Jeep to ever have square lights?

[quote=Odd is he;184989]I love mine.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by txjcb (Post 185012)

Hard to deal with the perfection of becoming one with your squareness.:D

debruins 01-22-2008 03:08 PM

wow what an optical illusion!
and i dont actually have anyhting against the headlights, i personally dont like the way the fenders look for some reason, also if it was me i would rather have a Cj if i was gonna go with somehting a little older just for vintage sake, and if i wanted something newer id spring for the Tj, its like the damned middle child or whatever the saying is haha,

killerisdead 01-25-2008 03:05 PM

im so sick off this kid ..........your cj sucks with its fake roll cage made out off pvc or plumming pipes ........and your tj is the same way you bought it ............yj hands down the best jeep ever .......and as for the jeep that was built to ride on the road tj all the way every time i drive one it reminds me off a honda .....

Vector6 01-25-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerisdead (Post 186109)
fake roll cage made out off pvc or plumming pipes

jesus, i thought you were kidding..... until i clicked the link in his sig... wow..

killerisdead 01-25-2008 03:54 PM

yeah scary isnt it ....... he has over four thousand post in less then a year and no mods under his belt .................so think twice when you take advice.....he will how ever ask a good question every now and then ......

LIVE TO JEEP,JEEP TO LIVE 01-25-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

im so sick off this kid ..........your cj sucks with its fake roll cage made out off pvc or plumming pipes ........and your tj is the same way you bought it ............yj hands down the best jeep ever .......and as for the jeep that was built to ride on the road tj all the way every time i drive one it reminds me off a honda .....
WHAT KID, WHICH ONE? I WANNA SEE THE PVC ROLL BAR......:D

LIVE TO JEEP,JEEP TO LIVE 01-25-2008 04:51 PM

OH YA......IT AIN'T COOL TO BE SQUARE......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4point 01-25-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerisdead (Post 186109)

Not off, of..........OF

He is our (WF) kid, he's here because he needs our guidance. If we didn't help him he would be left to his own devices. :D

orange05tj 01-25-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 186149)
Not off, of..........OF

He is our (WF) kid, he's here because he needs our guidance. If we didn't help him he would be left to his own devices. :D

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...spellnazis.jpg

:D

killerisdead 01-25-2008 06:47 PM

yeah i like the letter f a lot ..................im not making this up...........check out the pics ...............and if you want to help the kid...............then help the kid get a roll bar before its too late.......Ever seen a coil fall out? I have lots of times and ive only seen one broken leaf spring in my life ............50+ years with leaf springs 10 years with coils .....so you be the judge old trusty or new fangled falls out sagging a$$ coils....... yj modern electronic FI engine with time tested suspention ............

tiny terror 01-25-2008 06:58 PM

You may be sick of Debruins, but everyone's advice on a message board should be taken with a grain of salt.

nicolas-eric 01-25-2008 07:04 PM

http://runicon.de/ftp/round.gif :rofl: :rofl:

i had a YJ and now the 2nd TJ. both have their advantages and disadvantages. i like both of them. :punk:

Smeghead 01-25-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerisdead (Post 186176)
yeah i like the letter f a lot ..................im not making this up...........check out the pics ...............and if you want to help the kid...............then help the kid get a roll bar before its too late.......Ever seen a coil fall out? I have lots of times and ive only seen one broken leaf spring in my life ............50+ years with leaf springs 10 years with coils .....so you be the judge old trusty or new fangled falls out sagging a$$ coils....... yj modern electronic FI engine with time tested suspention ............

All those periods...........are really............kind of annoying.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................too

tiny terror 01-25-2008 08:41 PM

Shhhh, he's breathing then.

sgnellett 01-25-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 186159)

Just wait till Scout gets here and starts in on the grammar! :rofl:

AzTJ 01-25-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 185014)
I like the square, I like the round. The YJ lasted as long as the TJ, so I'm not sure if it was unpopular since they stuck with it for ten years.... and don't Cherokees have square head lights?

Yes they do. :D

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...f/HPIM2573.jpg

stinger124 01-26-2008 09:17 AM

I like my square headlights..
http://edit.81x.com/Authors/kamikaze...v_10th_007.jpg

Both are great jeeps.. I have taken my square headlights places that the round ones have struggled to follow, and then again, I have struggled to follow the round ones..
I will admit that the TJ rides better, but it is also more expensive to modify one.

Bottom line is.. It does not matter what you wheel jsut as long as your wheelin.. So have fun no matter what..:cool:

debruins 01-26-2008 09:31 AM

haha first of that isnt PVC that is DOM tubing, i just didnt have a bender so i used those joint which are not just any old joint for pipes, they're form my dads work and they are able to sustain up to 800 PSI, as bad as that looks it is a pretty good roll cage, i jsut need to tie in the rear two points (front tow are tied in) it just looks really weird b/c it is wayyy to high and b/c its not bent
and actually I have done some stuff to my TJ, but i didnt need to, i found a good deal and only added a few things, i am also out of money!
btw my CJ may not be able to anywhere your YJ can, but i gaurantee i have more fun doing it!
also my advice is usually always right (oxymoron?) i have taken my CJ from not even moving, or starting to being able to go 30 down (keyword down) the highway, and i know my shit, just becasue i dont have money to do mods and because i already am happy with how my jeep is doesnt mean i dont know anything, plus u said it your self im here ALL the time, you dont think i may have picked up a little knowledge from reading every single post for a whole year???

orange05tj 01-26-2008 10:37 AM

Hey man, not trying to bash on you, but just because those fittings can hold up to 800 psig steam working pressure, (unless they are black maluble fittings) does not mean anything. Guaranteed I can hit it once with a lump hammer and that 90 will crack in half. Try not to roll over on them because your gonna have problems. As for your advice, you've gave me some and it was good advice. I know what you mean by having to do things on a tight budget, so if by making that roll cage out of fittings for a feild beater, makes sense to me. I would have done the same as long as it's not a DD. I don't have the funds to build my TJ to the max and I also don't have the moab as my backyard, so I do what I can.