Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Door seals (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/door-seals-150189.html)

catalinafairview 03-31-2012 12:41 AM

Door seals

I am new to wranglers, I just bought 2012. Anyways, whenever I wash the jeep I always see water on the inside on the seat and floor boards. Is that common? I don't use high pressure, I use the "shower" function on my hose nozzle.

Casotakar1229 03-31-2012 12:49 AM

hmm. I use the pressure washer on high, just today as a matter of fact, and the only time I get water dripping on floor board or seat is when I open the door and the soft top drips at the front of the windshield where the door meets it in that corner. you should take some pictures so we can see exactly where it's coming from. is it at back of the door, front of the door? do you have a soft top or hard top?

catalinafairview 03-31-2012 01:12 AM

It is a 2 door

I get water on the seat, floor boards, door panel, and some on the door. It is a hard top 2 door. Water enters from the middle of the door and back so it basically let's water in the middle and the back of the door.

Casotakar1229 03-31-2012 01:43 AM

I'd check the weather stripping on the doors to make sure it's coming in contact completely. sometimes it also comes loose when the top is removed for the first time...or the door isn't closing all the way. I'd put some cloth in the part you think it is leaking from, close the door on it, run water over the area, and if it the leak temporarily stops then you know the door just isn't closing all the way or the stripping is too thin. make a trip to home depot or lowes and get some black weather stripping and just add it to the middle of the door, pretty easy fix. good luck!

PA ARCTIC 04-01-2012 06:59 AM

from just a wash, this does not sound normal. my 12 leaked from the top of the passenger door down. but only after a long rain while sitting. then a few streams on the bottom door sill. after a rain, then moving, it would run out by the lower hinges. dealer took care of it all after 3 trips. this included the RTT 11-062 recall. missing sealant from the factory. and a new door seal i believe. and the door readjusted. being new, let the dealer have at it. thats what your warranty is for.

Sueby 04-01-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casotakar1229
hmm. I use the pressure washer on high, just today as a matter of fact, and the only time I get water dripping on floor board or seat is when I open the door and the soft top drips at the front of the windshield where the door meets it in that corner. you should take some pictures so we can see exactly where it's coming from. is it at back of the door, front of the door? do you have a soft top or hard top?

X2. Took it to the car wash and used the high pressure wand to get the mud off and didn't have any water until I opened the door. I also took it through the touch-less wash once and only had a couple drops in the back.

I would personally say it's prolly not right but if it wasn't leaking in the rain I wouldn't really care.

kbwwolf 04-01-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalinafairview (Post 2202498)
I am new to wranglers, I just bought 2012. Anyways, whenever I wash the jeep I always see water on the inside on the seat and floor boards. Is that common? I don't use high pressure, I use the "shower" function on my hose nozzle.

Not normal. Mine doesn't leak even w/high pressure water and an aftermarket soft top.

If I really nail water @ the seals, I might get a few drops.

0lllllll0 04-01-2012 11:29 AM

I've had some drops and mild streams of water but only after hours of moderate rainfall. sometimes it pools up a little under the passenger floor mat and carpet. I keep a folded towel under there to absorb water whenever it happens. Took it to the dealer but they couldn't replicate the leak. Picked up some silicone paste at the hardware store and applied it along the seals where I suspected water to be leaking. It hasn't solved the problem completely, but it has really helped. I keep some in the glove box. :)

edit: at any rate you should have the dealer look at it if it's still under warranty.