Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Pro comp rear bumper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/pro-comp-rear-bumper-150513.html)

Jeepoffroad04 04-01-2012 04:30 PM

Pro comp rear bumper
 
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jeep...&t_pn=EXP66168 Does anyone have any testimonials/opinions/experience of/with this bumper? It seems way to cheap to even be decent and strong. I have been looking a long time for a good price on a rear bumper with a receiver( i know this one is not "integrated" into the bumper like most others are) and d-ring tabs. Any info or pics of this bumper mounted on you jeep would help. I have not been a fan of pro comp in the past, but maybe someone could help sway my decision...

G54 04-01-2012 05:15 PM

I wouldn't get it. I suggest saving a bit more and getting the Rokmen. Better departure angle since it sits flush with the frame cross member and with the frame tie in kit it's as strong as they come.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...920001208c.jpg

Sherpa 04-01-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04 (Post 2207392)
Does anyone have any testimonials/opinions/experience of/with this bumper? It seems way to cheap to even be decent and strong.

I have the same ProComp bumper on the front of my TJ:

http://dempseybowling.com/cars/98sport/mascara1.jpg

Do not doubt its strength. It is constructed of 1/4" steel. Mine has withstood numerous rock bashes and has come away with only scratches--no dents, no bends. (Rock rashes are visible on the right end.) So far it has held up far better than my co-worker's Warn bumper of similar design. For the money, I think this bumper is a fantastic value.

Having said that, I did not install a ProComp in the rear. Why not? Because I wanted my rear bumper to have an actual tow rating. I went with the Smittybilt SRC Classic since its overall design matches the ProComp. So far, the SRC has also proven very rugged and has shrugged off a few substantial rock impacts. I would also recommend this bumper to anyone.

Rock rash also visible on the right:
http://dempseybowling.com/cars/98sport/gasskid2.jpg

6InARowMakesItGo 04-02-2012 01:23 AM

i was reading through the instructions in the link and as sherpa pointed out that particular bumper's receiver is just for show. it's not designed for towing therefore it seems pointless to me.

s3nt3nc3d 04-02-2012 02:07 AM

Most aftermarket bumpers with integrated hitches are not tow-rated...personally I don't think I would tow with any bumper that has an integrated hitch unless you've also installed frame tie-ins to the bumper.

I have the Pro Comp front and rear bumpers...I don't know if they're super strong or anything, but they are GREAT for the price and they've held up to our harsh winters just fine. So much stronger and better looking than the stock bumpers too.

Edit: I also don't tow anything so the hitch receiver isn't used for anything.

darkproximity 04-02-2012 02:43 AM

you can always throw a cargo basket on it.. but i believe the load rating was 250lbs on the tongue.. so only a small trailer could be pulled with it..

that being said, i had that very bumper, it was plenty strong, the only thing i didnt like about it was the quality.. i didnt like that they welded the receiver on crooked, but other than that it was fine. I got a great deal on a swing out tire carrier bumper with plumbed air tank so i was quick to get rid of it..

Palmers2000tj 04-02-2012 06:59 AM

Was in Atlanta for the last month and one of 4Xparts stores was there. I bought that rear bumper going to put it on this week looks very durable to me. Hopefully have pics posted later this week.

Sherpa 04-02-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6InARowMakesItGo (Post 2209508)
i was reading through the instructions in the link and as sherpa pointed out that particular bumper's receiver is just for show. it's not designed for towing therefore it seems pointless to me.

I wouldn't say it is entirely pointless; you could still use it as a recovery point. Off hand, I'd say more people are interested in that ability rather than towing capacity. For myself, I wanted to have both.

toms01TJ 04-02-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 2210450)
I wouldn't say it is entirely pointless; you could still use it as a recovery point. Off hand, I'd say more people are interested in that ability rather than towing capacity. For myself, I wanted to have both.

I bought an Olympic Rock Crawler bumper with the receiver rated at 250# / 2500#.

I see hitches all the time that are not rated for any towing, but touted as a recovery point.

How is dragging around a small trailer harder on a hitch than using it as a winching point, or strap attachment point???

I think it's just a liability issue for the mfg., as I'm pretty certain that additional hoops have to be jumped thru for trailer use certification.

My .02

TJspeed 04-02-2012 11:24 AM

I have both front and rear. Look on amazon. I got the rear with D-rings for $146 free shipping. I love them. There strong. Ive hit the front one pretty good and Ive pulled with the rear quite a few times and its just fine. There awesome bumpers!!!
The 2" receiver is rated for 2000lbs. Thats what the jeep is rated for. Pro comp says its meant for towing up to 2000lbs and recovery purposes only.

I would seggest getting frame tie in's. But think thats a standard for all bumpers

Sherpa 04-02-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms01TJ (Post 2210506)
I see hitches all the time that are not rated for any towing, but touted as a recovery point.

How is dragging around a small trailer harder on a hitch than using it as a winching point, or strap attachment point???

I think it's just a liability issue for the mfg., as I'm pretty certain that additional hoops have to be jumped thru for trailer use certification.

I agree completely with your line of thinking; if the bumper is sufficient for one use, it ought to be okay for the other (especially considering the TJ's max tow rating of only 2000 pounds). I guess I just feel better about a bumper that actually carries a tow rating. Considering I got the look and rating I wanted for a price I liked, I think I did well.

To each their own, however.

G54 04-02-2012 01:36 PM

Sorry I didn't notice you wanted a receiver at first when I suggested the Rokmen. Great bumper but no receiver.

Jeepoffroad04 04-02-2012 04:59 PM

Thanks guys for all the info I think im going todo it:dance: then save up for a or-fab tire carrier.

Jeepoffroad04 04-02-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus54
Sorry I didn't notice you wanted a receiver at first when I suggested the Rokmen. Great bumper but no receiver.

Well Im not 100% sure if I need a receiver but I was mainly going after the whole part about it being so cheap. Thanks though I appreciate it. I like the rokmen look buts its just alittle expensive imo.

TJspeed 04-02-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04 (Post 2211566)
Thanks guys for all the info I think im going todo it:dance: then save up for a or-fab tire carrier.

Just add some frame ties and you'll be good! I love my procomp bumpers. Just wish it had a tire carrier

Jeepoffroad04 05-13-2012 11:51 AM

Bump.:)

mikemounlio 06-26-2013 02:21 PM

I bought the pro comp due to the price and the look. I would like to pull my little 4x8 HF trailer around tho. The hitch i got had some numbers on a tag but i know itll do way more then the tag says (just my opinion stupid or not).

What do you mean frame ties? If it would help i would love to add some to mine.

ninjaturtle0 06-26-2013 02:24 PM

I have the Rokmen rear. Haven't installed it yet but I hve it prepped with bedliner.

G54 06-26-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3901851)
I bought the pro comp due to the price and the look. I would like to pull my little 4x8 HF trailer around tho. The hitch i got had some numbers on a tag but i know itll do way more then the tag says (just my opinion stupid or not).

What do you mean frame ties? If it would help i would love to add some to mine.

You can get frame tie ins from Rokmen but Im not sure how they would work with the PC bumper.

mikemounlio 06-26-2013 03:10 PM

Well after looking at pics of the frame ties and of the bumper build i get it now. The stock bumper is held in place by only one bolt to the frame. The other bolts go to a super thin bracket that i now dont trust. Frame ties on order.

TJspeed 06-26-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3901851)
I bought the pro comp due to the price and the look. I would like to pull my little 4x8 HF trailer around tho. The hitch i got had some numbers on a tag but i know itll do way more then the tag says (just my opinion stupid or not).

What do you mean frame ties? If it would help i would love to add some to mine.

They tie the bumper to the frame. I have these. JcrOffroad, Inc. Wrangler Rear Bumper Frame Tie-in (TJ YJ CJ)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.