Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rear Tail Light Wire Color Code? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rear-tail-light-wire-color-code-150533.html)

20ga 04-01-2012 05:24 PM

Rear Tail Light Wire Color Code?
 
I need to know the wire color code to the rear tail lights on a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon.

Left Stop
Left Signal
Left Running

Right Stop
Right Signal
Right Running

I have the Service Manual but I am having a hard time following the diagram. I do have the Wire Color Code Chart which is in the manual on page 8W-01-5. I also have the Rear Lighting 8W-51 and Turn Signal 8W-52 chapters book marked in the Service Manual.

I want to splice diodes into the tail lights for towing and want to do this after exposing the wires that run along the inside drivers rocker pannel.

Thank you.

IXLR8 04-01-2012 05:37 PM

I have an 01, not sure if it's the same? But on most TJ's the color code is:

Left side:
Tail- black w/yellow tracer
Brake/turn- green w/red tracer
Backup- violet w/black tracer

Right side:
Tail- black w/yellow tracer
Brake/turn- brown w/red tracer
Backup- violet w/black tracer

Good luck.

RUBI 4 MY MRS 04-01-2012 05:51 PM

OK first understand that there are only 2 wires for the 3 functions on the U.S. (non-export) models. Essentially the turn signals blink the brake lights left or right through the m-f switch. The tail lights (running) have white/yellow wires. The stop/left turn is dark green/red & the stop/right turn is brown/red.

On 8W-51-3, H is the running lights, D is left t/s & E is t/s. Follow them down to 8W-51-5. 8W-51-6 is export.

On 8W52-2 you see the same wires for the signals (& stop).

20ga 04-01-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

I have an 01, not sure if it's the same? But on most TJ's the color code is:

Left side:
Tail- black w/yellow tracer
Brake/turn- green w/red tracer
Backup- violet w/black tracer

Right side:
Tail- black w/yellow tracer
Brake/turn- brown w/red tracer
Backup- violet w/black tracer

Good luck.
From my manual the brake light wire colors agree with yours.

However my manual has white w/yellow tracer (WT/YL) for the Tail Lights.

Thanks your help gets me one step closer.

20ga 04-01-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

OK first understand that there are only 2 wires for the 3 functions on the U.S. (non-export) models. Essentially the turn signals blink the brake lights left or right through the m-f switch. The tail lights (running) have white/yellow wires. The stop/left turn is dark green/red & the stop/right turn is brown/red.

On 8W-51-3, H is the running lights, D is left t/s & E is t/s. Follow them down to 8W-51-5. 8W-51-6 is export.

On 8W52-2 you see the same wires for the signals (& stop).
YES! This is the icing on the cake!

THANKS!

RGT 10-16-2015 06:39 PM

just going to wire up a trailer plug in my 2005, why are there two brown/red wires coming out of the harness where it gets exposed by the rear rollbar support?

AMGEEP 02-21-2016 04:19 AM

hello,
sorry to bring this old post up but i just purchased a new set of rear LED lights for my 2002 TJ.

Can someone please guide me, there are 4 wires on the TJ, but only 3 wires on the new LED lights.

I connected the reverse light, blinkers, and driving lights, BUT the brake light wire im not sure where to connect it.. please help.

I tried to connect it to driving lights but when i signal left or right its not working. basicly I think im missing an additional LEDS on these rear tail lights, am i right ? it appears its only got reverse lights, blinkers and driving lights(blinkers use the driving lights but as brighter)

any ideas ???

Water Dog 02-21-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMGEEP (Post 24206273)
hello,
sorry to bring this old post up but i just purchased a new set of rear LED lights for my 2002 TJ.

Can someone please guide me, there are 4 wires on the TJ, but only 3 wires on the new LED lights.

I connected the reverse light, blinkers, and driving lights, BUT the brake light wire im not sure where to connect it.. please help.

I tried to connect it to driving lights but when i signal left or right its not working. basicly I think im missing an additional LEDS on these rear tail lights, am i right ? it appears its only got reverse lights, blinkers and driving lights(blinkers use the driving lights but as brighter)

any ideas ???

There are is no separate brake light/turn signal wires on a TJ. The same wire is used for both brake and turn signal. Black/yellow=tail lights, dark green/red=left turn/brake, brown/red=right turn/brake.

violet/black=back up lights.

Since you only have three wires in your light fixture (and one must be a ground unless it's grounded through it's base) you must not have a reverse light in the fixture.

Knowing what type of light fixture you're using would help.

tonmilv 05-09-2016 09:15 AM

16 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 24208369)
There are is no separate brake light/turn signal wires on a TJ. The same wire is used for both brake and turn signal. Black/yellow=tail lights, dark green/red=left turn/brake, brown/red=right turn/brake.

violet/black=back up lights.

Since you only have three wires in your light fixture (and one must be a ground unless it's grounded through it's base) you must not have a reverse light in the fixture.

Knowing what type of light fixture you're using would help.

Good morning,

I m having the same issue for a 2005 Wrangler. this is the light fixture that I ordered.

dont know how to connect each wire.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.