Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What do you guys think about cjs or trading for one (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-do-you-guys-think-about-cjs-or-trading-for-one-150541.html)

TjWranglerMan 04-01-2012 06:00 PM

What do you guys think about cjs or trading for one
 
I have a 97tj and I have a guy wanting to trade me a 82 cj and throw a lot of cash my way on top I was gonna sell my tj and buy another jeep(more stock) and save some of the money I got for for another project I have going

So it works for me a stay In a jeep and I get the extra cash what you guys think

Here r some pics
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/9173f3d9.jpghttp://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/cec0a7fa.jpghttp://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/976e0b23.jpghttp://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/b1806908.jpghttp://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/1df63c35.jpg

And here's mine
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/7d1a7bdb.jpghttp://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...a/e3901091.jpg

TjWranglerMan 04-01-2012 06:05 PM

(Cj)The jeep has a 4 inch suspension lift with brand new 35" dick C peck tiresAll new interior (carpet kit, seats, shift knobs)New front and rear bumpers starter, alternator, and battery

Joker_114th 04-01-2012 06:32 PM

Looks like my Ole CJ-7"Had an 81",Be Prepared for a Whole Different Ride,Mine had Leak Issues"Constantly"Mostly from the The Tops Leaking,No Emmisions Crap to Worry about,Simple Technology,Plenty of Parts for The CJ's Now....No Internet when i Had Mine,Parts were a Pain in the @ss to Find,Also the CJ is 30 Years Old,an Antique,I dunno About the Engine/Tranny/Front and Rear Ends/Frame/Body/Glass,also Antiques,your choice,but I'm Pickin up my TJ on Friday,Dunno if I'd ever go Back to a CJ,Liked it at the Time,But hey I don't Really want to Spend 10 hours a Day just to Drive it,I Just wanna Drive Now,But not all CJ's were Problem Child's,I Love Ole Jeep's but Hey Technology is Definetly Much Better,Your Choice is Kinda Like Dating a 45 year old Woman,Or a 20 Year old,You're Choice......

TjWranglerMan 04-01-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker_114th
Looks like my Ole CJ-7"Had an 81",Be Prepared for a Whole Different Ride,Mine had Leak Issues"Constantly"Mostly from the The Tops Leaking,No Emmisions Crap to Worry about,Simple Technology,Plenty of Parts for The CJ's Now....No Internet when i Had Mine,Parts were a Pain in the @ss to Find,Also the CJ is 30 Years Old,an Antique,I dunno About the Engine/Tranny/Front and Rear Ends/Frame/Body/Glass,also Antiques,your choice,but I'm Pickin up my TJ on Friday,Dunno if I'd ever go Back to a CJ,Liked it at the Time,But hey I don't Really want to Spend 10 hours a Day just to Drive it,I Just wanna Drive Now,But not all CJ's were Problem Child's,I Love Ole Jeep's but Hey Technology is Definetly Much Better,Your Choice is Kinda Like Dating a 45 year old Woman,Or a 20 Year old,You're Choice......

I c wht ur saying but from wht I can see and wht in told its rebuilt and runs great and he's throwing 3k ontop wht should I look for if I trade or before if I do trade

Sherpa 04-01-2012 10:48 PM

Having lived with TJs for quite a while, I personally could never be satisfied with a CJ. Coil springs ride so much nicer than leaf springs, plus the TJ has a climate control system that actually functions, multi-point fuel injection works well during extreme angles (such as steep climbs), and on and on and on.

TjWranglerMan 04-01-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa
Having lived with TJs for quite a while, I personally could never be satisfied with a CJ. Coil springs ride so much nicer than leaf springs, plus the TJ has a climate control system that actually functions, multi-point fuel injection works well during extreme angles (such as steep climbs), and on and on and on.

Yea I know the ride wouldn't b the same and some of the cj guy r telling me the same thing I think I'm going to stick wit my tj

LiftedTj 04-02-2012 05:24 AM

The only reason i'd trade my Tj for a Cj would be for the dash configuration, but i imagine i could convert my dash if i really wanted. just my $.02

Remus_Redbone 04-02-2012 08:43 AM

You need to think about why the current CJ owner wants to give you the CJ and $3k for your 15 year old TJ. It's probably not because he wants you to get a great deal......

jrussblues 04-02-2012 08:50 AM

Cj's are sweet. I would love to get a 5 but my 6'4" body doesn't really fit behind the wheel.
Pro's - less stuff to break that is typically cheaper to replace. Narrower with better breakover angles.
Con's - efi does make a world of difference when on steep grades. Ride is not as smooth. Hidden rust.

cubalz 04-02-2012 09:14 AM

No way would I trade. CJ's are cool looking but ride God awful. Not to mention rust. I bet anything that there is rust behind that diamond plate.

jrussblues 04-02-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues
Cj's are sweet. I would love to get a 5 but my 6'4" body doesn't really fit behind the wheel.
Pro's - less stuff to break that is typically cheaper to replace. Narrower with better breakover angles.
Con's - efi does make a world of difference when on steep grades. Ride is not as smooth. Hidden rust.

Also, I should mention that I wouldn't replace or trade my lj, my goal is to add a cj to the stable.

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 09:43 AM

I hear all of you from wht he says there is not rust the undercarage is completely rust free and he gonna send more pics today well c wht happens my wife is kinda of against it she loves my tj and she would rather me build my tj the finish me project

Ratfink2u 04-02-2012 09:55 AM

do you live in a smog required zone of CA? My 78 had a heck of a time passing when I lived in Kalifornia. My CJ5 had some minor rust in the body area but the frame was virgin, which is rare. Had 33's on it and the guy who lifted it didn't do a reverse shackle kit and it had death wobble aboove 55mph. Plus it got about 9 MPG but would climb rocks with a detroit locker and short gears. It is a bit tight behind the wheel compared to my TJ. This 82 looks clean and would be a hoot!

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratfink2u
do you live in a smog required zone of CA? My 78 had a heck of a time passing when I lived in Kalifornia. My CJ5 had some minor rust in the body area but the frame was virgin, which is rare. Had 33's on it and the guy who lifted it didn't do a reverse shackle kit and it had death wobble aboove 55mph. Plus it got about 9 MPG but would climb rocks with a detroit locker and short gears. It is a bit tight behind the wheel compared to my TJ. This 82 looks clean and would be a hoot!

We do have smog requirements so he would def have to smog and pass and I'm going to drive it above 55 to see wht I feels like as for the rust I'm going to look through everything the only thing that sucks is the previous owner did all the work so he know much about it jut the basics so I'm trying to get all the things I should look at but who knows I might not trade

Hammerdown 04-02-2012 11:13 AM

Purely in the looks department CJ wins hands down. It is the real Jeep. As years go on the Jeeps have become more like SUVs. Since the Jeep is a purely recreational vehicle for me, ride and climate control won't matter.

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Purely in the looks department CJ wins hands down. It is the real Jeep. As years go on the Jeeps have become more like SUVs. Since the Jeep is a purely recreational vehicle for me, ride and climate control won't matter.

I would have to agree it does look nice and as for it's use it would b a mostly weekend and some back and forth to work so idk I'll know wen I actually see it

toms01TJ 04-02-2012 11:52 AM

Had a couple CJ's in the past. Pretty much everything said so far has proven true for me.

Key here is why he's so anxious to trade. Something's not right. While classic CJ prices have fallen some in the past couple years (all CJ'S are considered classics by most folks), a jeep like that in Wisconsin would be on C-list at 6-7k dollars...

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms01TJ
Had a couple CJ's in the past. Pretty much everything said so far has proven true for me.

Key here is why he's so anxious to trade. Something's not right. While classic CJ prices have fallen some in the past couple years (all CJ'S are considered classics by most folks), a jeep like that in Wisconsin would be on C-list at 6-7k dollars...

I'm not anxious I just wanted to kno wht all of thought about cjs it's a jeep so it's good for me and I like the style just wanted to kno some stuff about em this guy came to me he saw my jeep and asked so I was just entertaining the offer

Ibuildembig 04-02-2012 12:15 PM

Check behind the diamond tread, and the front fenders look like fiberglass to me

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
Check behind the diamond tread, and the front fenders look like fiberglass to me

He did say he replaced one of the front fenders so my b fiberglass

coops98TJ 04-02-2012 06:55 PM

While I agree the TJ does have better ride quality, a CJ does not really ride all that bad. Having owned several CJ's (from a 47 flattie to a 84 CJ8) i have never had one have "death wobble" with or with out the reverse shackle job if the bushings were replaced when the lift was added. Check for rust and even if the front fender is fiber glass you can get a replacement steel one if you want.

the ultimate decision is yours ...... Do what makes you happy!!

Joker_114th 04-02-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coops98TJ (Post 2211963)
While I agree the TJ does have better ride quality, a CJ does not really ride all that bad. Having owned several CJ's (from a 47 flattie to a 84 CJ8) i have never had one have "death wobble" with or with out the reverse shackle job if the bushings were replaced when the lift was added. Check for rust and even if the front fender is fiber glass you can get a replacement steel one if you want.

the ultimate decision is yours ...... Do what makes you happy!!

I also Never Had the Death Wobble,But Mine was a Cancer Riddled Victim,Tried to put in Remmision,But Age is a Tough Thing to Overcome,Also Mine Did Ride like A big Heavy Truck,Suprised i got no Spine Issues:facepalm:

fourty4magjr 04-02-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 2209133)
Having lived with TJs for quite a while, I personally could never be satisfied with a CJ. Coil springs ride so much nicer than leaf springs, plus the TJ has a climate control system that actually functions, multi-point fuel injection works well during extreme angles (such as steep climbs), and on and on and on.

I'm with him
I would never trade my tj for a cj. They are awesome and all but I wouldn't trade for one. But buy one to have along side my tj that's a whole different story!! :D

Ibuildembig 04-02-2012 07:35 PM

The only way you will have death wobble in a cj or yj for that matter is to coil spring it and add 15000 suspension joints like a TJ :D

MVintherTJ 04-02-2012 07:41 PM

Keep your TJ. You won't regret it

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVintherTJ
Keep your TJ. You won't regret it

I like my tj I was just seeing wht everyone thought seems like its 60/40 lol

Ibuildembig 04-02-2012 07:47 PM

You never said what the CJ has for a mill :)

Jerry Bransford 04-02-2012 07:56 PM

LOVE CJs... I would give my left lugnut for a '73 or so CJ-5 with the AMC 304 V8. A friend has one and while it's not as good on the trail as my TJ is, I'd still love to have a CJ as a second Jeep.

To me, there's nothing like a CJ... pure Jeep at its best.

TjWranglerMan 04-02-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
You never said what the CJ has for a mill :)

Wht do you mean mill?

Jerry Bransford 04-02-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjWranglerMan (Post 2212279)
Wht do you mean mill?

Mill is old hotrod-speak for engine. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.