Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   can't believe you have hand crank windows!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cant-believe-you-have-hand-crank-windows-150562.html)

dodge 04-01-2012 07:01 PM

can't believe you have hand crank windows!!!

Had a friend ride in my jeep today. He just kept going on about my lack of power windows and locks. I kept insisting I didn't need or want them in a 2 door jeep and he kept calling me cheap. It doesn't really bother me but anyone else had to deal with similiar comments from people? Guess some people just don't get it.

ESP 04-01-2012 07:04 PM

Nope. Having no power anything makes me very happy.

joe002 04-01-2012 07:05 PM

I like power windows. I'm too lazy to lean over and roll down the passenger side.

gohard 04-01-2012 07:07 PM

I just don't have friends like that .....that simple, and the ones I have, they admire my crank windows rather then putting them down.....their comment, if they make one is : "these are the best"
Don't your friends know "sometimes less is more" ??

dodge 04-01-2012 07:08 PM

I have nothing against power windows and locks. I have had them in my last two trucks but I have had issues with both. So I was happy to stay old school with my jeep.

n3qik 04-01-2012 07:10 PM

I went out of my way to get manual windows/door locks.
Plus, when doorless, what benefit does having power windows ???

ESP 04-01-2012 07:11 PM

Opting for AC in this "my second jeep" was as fancy as I went. Everything else is = DIY.

strider_mt2k 04-01-2012 07:13 PM

Good thing he didn't buy your Jeep then. :rolleyes:

offline 04-01-2012 07:13 PM

Hell... how on earth would I roll them down when they are hanging on my garage wall

I don't have power anything in the JK. My F150 on the otherhand has power everything.

Thorshammer7 04-01-2012 07:14 PM

Its more about basics and durability :cool:

ESP 04-01-2012 07:16 PM

Another reason for manual windows is when your stuck in a bog or pit and you've covered the sides of your jeep, you won't half to worry about rolling down the windows to see. They are gonna go up and down regardless of the mud and water that gets in the cracks.

JVDBogart 04-01-2012 07:19 PM

I went WAY out of my way in order to find a Jeep that specificallt did not have power locks or power windows. I ended up driving to a Jeep dealer about a hundred miles away to purchase the Jeep I wanted and without the power locks/windows.

Here's my reasoning: I have owned many vehicles in my lifetime. I have a Chevy Blazer once that had a power window motor that broke and it was a cool $300 to fix.

I had a Firebird once that had the power locks break and it was like $200 or something like that to fix.

I am now a believer in the the theory that the more electronic gizmos you have, then the more likely they are to malfunction and of course, more expensive to repair.

And yes, people that I give rides to think I am nuts and always say "I didn't even think you could buy a vehicle without power windows and doors . . . I could never live without those"

To me, that is just one more sign that as a society how freaking lazy we have become. For some, the effort required to turn a handler to roll down a window or to actually stick a key in a lock and turn it is just simply too much work!

No wonder we are the most obese and out of shape country in the world huh?? My nephews love to roll down my windows. They never saw a vehicle with that until my Jeep, and it was funny and sad at the same time when they couldn't even figure out how to do it. Now they fight and argue over which one gets the honor to roll them down.

So yeah, I let people talk all the crap they want to about my Jeep. It is a 2009 Wrangler X by the way. They think I was just too cheap to pay for those options, when in reality, I went to great extremes to find one lacking those options.

Once thing is certain, I will never have to worry about spending $300 on a new window motor or $200 on a power lock problem. Maybe I am cheap? I dunno, but that is $500 I can spend on some cool mods right?

ESP 04-01-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVDBogart (Post 2207967)
I went WAY out of my way in order to find a Jeep that specificallt did not have power locks or power windows. I ended up driving to a Jeep dealer about a hundred miles away to purchase the Jeep I wanted and without the power locks/windows.

Here's my reasoning: I have owned many vehicles in my lifetime. I have a Chevy Blazer once that had a power window motor that broke and it was a cool $300 to fix.

I had a Firebird once that had the power locks break and it was like $200 or something like that to fix.

I am now a believer in the the theory that the more electronic gizmos you have, then the more likely they are to malfunction and of course, more expensive to repair.

And yes, people that I give rides to think I am nuts and always say "I didn't even think you could buy a vehicle without power windows and doors . . . I could never live without those"

To me, that is just one more sign that as a society how freaking lazy we have become. For some, the effort required to turn a handler to roll down a window or to actually stick a key in a lock and turn it is just simply too much work!

No wonder we are the most obese and out of shape country in the world huh?? My nephews love to roll down my windows. They never saw a vehicle with that until my Jeep, and it was funny and sad at the same time when they couldn't even figure out how to do it. Now they fight and argue over which one gets the honor to roll them down.

So yeah, I let people talk all the crap they want to about my Jeep. It is a 2009 Wrangler X by the way. They think I was just too cheap to pay for those options, when in reality, I went to great extremes to find one lacking those options.

Once thing is certain, I will never have to worry about spending $300 on a new window motor or $200 on a power lock problem. Maybe I am cheap? I dunno, but that is $500 I can spend on some cool mods right?

:popcorn:

joe002 04-01-2012 07:22 PM

I'm too lazy to get out of my Jeep and disconnect the sway bar - I need to push a button.

MTH 04-01-2012 07:24 PM

The only reason I wanted power windows/locks was because I got a 4 door, which I did because of my kids.

When you've got toddlers in carseats in the back, it's a big help to be able to manage their windows and locks from the front. Believe me.

If I'd gotten a 2 door, it would've been hand crank windows and manual locks all the way. :thumb:

dodge 04-01-2012 07:24 PM

Joe002 I appreciate your honesty :)

gohard 04-01-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVDBogart (Post 2207967)

Agree totally, and about obese, OMG I made the mistake going to McDonalds yesterday :eek:....well, on the plus side I lost my appetite.

MarkinOhio 04-01-2012 07:26 PM

I'm with all off you concerning power windows and locks

Just more things to break, and it's a Jeep!

The only thing on my 07 X is AC, and I have never even used it yet. I probably should just to make sure it works, but I'd rather be topless anytime. Also no cruise. Had no cruise or power in my 2000 F-150, either.

I wish I could buy MORE vehicles without the power BS. Have had problems with both windows on my 99 Monte Carlo.

joe002 04-01-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge (Post 2207999)
Joe002 I appreciate your honesty :)

Thanks. :) I'm also too lazy to reach over and lock/unlock the door for someone - I need a button.

Oh yeah, I did get an extended warrantee to fix the gadgets as I know the will break eventually.

ESP 04-01-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2207998)
The only reason I wanted power windows/locks was because I got a 4 door, which I did because of my kids.

When you've got toddlers in carseats in the back, it's a big help to be able to manage their windows and locks from the front. Believe me.

If I'd gotten a 2 door, it would've been hand crank windows and manual locks all the way. :thumb:

And you were doing this when she was new?!?

MTH back in the day..
2010 Jeep JK Mountaineer offroad - YouTube

tjt94 04-01-2012 07:32 PM

Tell him to f off the pretentious bastard! I have crankers because I want them. I won't have to fix the broken parts all the time like with electrics.

Sasquatch 4x4 04-01-2012 07:32 PM

i like not having power anything in my jeep, except now, since i'm still pretty used to having a remote and power everything i am still prone to either leaving my jeep unlocked or locking my keys in the car.

any way my buddies do give me crap from time to time, expecially since one of my buddies has a 1980 bimmer with power everything and my '95 has power nothing so its kinda funny.

dodge 04-01-2012 07:36 PM

Well come to think of it he was always calling me a cheap bast**d for not having fog lights on my 06 tacoma prerunner it just came that way. Jealous maybe?

ESP 04-01-2012 07:37 PM

^ yep he wants a jeep and cries a little when you drop him off.

daggo66 04-01-2012 07:44 PM

When I bought my Jeep my wife though I was goling to regret not having power windows. Once she realized they hang in the garage all summer, she understood.

ESP 04-01-2012 07:45 PM

^ Wish I had a garage for this very reason.

bjc24v 04-01-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge (Post 2208066)
Well come to think of it he was always calling me a cheap bast**d for not having fog lights on my 06 tacoma prerunner it just came that way. Jealous maybe?

Jealous is right!! Take him out on the trails and leave him there!!
:dance:

wmwhitey 04-01-2012 07:58 PM

Who needs power anything just another thing to pay for after the warranty is up. I asked for nothing power the only thing I have is a stock radio and ac and the ac never gets used. plus the doors are never on also best things about living in Hawaii. Here is a pic of a drive out to the beach today.:dance:

Jurhip 04-01-2012 08:03 PM

Love manual windows. But, manual mirrors frankly suck when you have 2 drivers. And since Jeep doesn't allow ala carte power accessories, I got the "convenience" package. Real convenient, huh.

dodge 04-01-2012 08:07 PM

Wmwhitey that's a badass looking jeep.