Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   high amp alternator? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/high-amp-alternator-150621.html)

DirtyRob 04-01-2012 10:16 PM

high amp alternator?
 
I used my winch on a hard pull tonight, and even though I have a strong 1020ca and 785cca battery, it was hard on my charging system. Yes all the terminals are tight, and clean, new wiring on everything.

The winch has its own terminals as when I got the battery I made sure to get one with top and side posts on it.

I am using a MileMarker sec8000. I have a 90 with the 2.5ltr. I know about MeanGreen, but I was wondering about other options. I am thinking about using a Cherokee one and making a bracket but I was just wondering what others have done

Jeep716 04-01-2012 11:53 PM

There is one from a v6 Dakota that has higher amperage that will fit but I can't remember the year.

year1camaro 04-02-2012 12:39 PM

98 Grand Cherokee has a 136 amp alternator that fits verses the 90 amp that comes in the wrangler. I also wired up a dual battery setup pretty cheap. I turn on the second battery when i winch to lighten the load.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dual...-143559-2.html

Ibuildembig 04-02-2012 12:40 PM

powermaster

jdeere_man 04-02-2012 03:25 PM

Are you using the side or top posts for the winch? The side posts are not designed in most cases to handle as high amperage loads as the top posts.

You can get a bolt on 136 amp alternator for $125 or so. Less if you go to a junk yard i'm sure.

DirtyRob 04-02-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeere_man (Post 2211287)
Are you using the side or top posts for the winch? The side posts are not designed in most cases to handle as high amperage loads as the top posts.

You can get a bolt on 136 amp alternator for $125 or so. Less if you go to a junk yard i'm sure.

I am using the side posts. I don't understand why they would be different though

jdeere_man 04-02-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string (Post 2212568)
I am using the side posts. I don't understand why they would be different though

You didn't specify battery brand, so I'll climb out on a limb and use Optima as an example. They specifically say on their website FAQ that a winch should be connected only to the "automotive posts", meaning the top ones.

I don't design batteries, but I understand the "side posts" are connected internally to the "regular posts" using material that isn't heavy enough gauge to support high amperage loads.

Also I don't know the specifications of your winch, but for instance pulling from Smittybilt 8k winch specs, at full rated load the winch draws 410 amps. I think you'll find that exceeds even the capabilities of 0000 (4/0) wire, which is huge.

year1camaro 04-03-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeere_man (Post 2213097)
You didn't specify battery brand, so I'll climb out on a limb and use Optima as an example. They specifically say on their website FAQ that a winch should be connected only to the "automotive posts", meaning the top ones.

I don't design batteries, but I understand the "side posts" are connected internally to the "regular posts" using material that isn't heavy enough gauge to support high amperage loads.

Also I don't know the specifications of your winch, but for instance pulling from Smittybilt 8k winch specs, at full rated load the winch draws 410 amps. I think you'll find that exceeds even the capabilities of 0000 (4/0) wire, which is huge.

So your saying that the cable included with my XRC8 can even handle the load of it's own product? I believe it's 4GA.

jdeere_man 04-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by year1camaro (Post 2213850)
So your saying that the cable included with my XRC8 can even handle the load of it's own product? I believe it's 4GA.

i'm not saying it won't work. It will work. The winch may get starved for amps and not perform to it's full potential. There will be significant voltage drop at the winch over 4 gauge wire as well. I'm sure they supply that cable because it keeps the price of the product down to make it more attractive. Use a wire size calculator to understand what i'm saying.

spunebil 04-03-2012 05:57 PM

I run a ppwermaster 80/140 amp alternator with an optima battery and milemarker 8000 with no problems while winching :)
Stock alternator os only 78 ( max) for mine (89) ;)

95YamJam 04-03-2012 07:04 PM

I'm looking at the zj 136 alt. Bolt in minus some clearancing a bit. :)

SandyMushYJ 04-03-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YamJam (Post 2215973)
I'm looking at the zj 136 alt. Bolt in minus some clearancing a bit. :)

What do you have to clearance?

DirtyRob 04-03-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeere_man (Post 2213097)
You didn't specify battery brand, so I'll climb out on a limb and use Optima as an example. They specifically say on their website FAQ that a winch should be connected only to the "automotive posts", meaning the top ones.

I don't design batteries, but I understand the "side posts" are connected internally to the "regular posts" using material that isn't heavy enough gauge to support high amperage loads.

Also I don't know the specifications of your winch, but for instance pulling from Smittybilt 8k winch specs, at full rated load the winch draws 410 amps. I think you'll find that exceeds even the capabilities of 0000 (4/0) wire, which is huge.

My battery is for a F-350 Diesel and I got it from Carquest. Optima batteries are good, but I haven't had any gel battery last more than 2 years in the past.
I am a HVAC tech, and have been doing hvac and electrical work for 15 years. I understand about amperage, and wire gauging, but I don't understand why the side posts would be not be the same as the top posts as far as being able to supply the same amount of power and amps. MOst GM cars/trucks only come with side posts.
DC voltage and AC voltage are different as DC voltage pulls more amps than AC for the same amount of h.p. This I understand, but I feel my battery is sufficient in a single battery set-up. I am leaning toward a dual battery system, but I was wondering what other alternatives there are

95YamJam 04-03-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyMushYJ (Post 2216096)
What do you have to clearance?


The bracket. You bolt in the swing bolt and swing it til it hits. Clearence enough to make it fit. IIRC you need to change the plastic protector to the yj one. It's on the back. Should be easy.

SandyMushYJ 04-03-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YamJam (Post 2217210)
The bracket. You bolt in the swing bolt and swing it til it hits. Clearence enough to make it fit. IIRC you need to change the plastic protector to the yj one. It's on the back. Should be easy.

That sounds like me right there. Thanks.

denisbaldwin 04-04-2012 07:07 AM

I just put a mean green 200 amp alternator in mine. There's a guy on eBay who sells them cheap (under $250 shipped). I think their shop name is like Spray It Nitrious or Spraying Nitrious.. something like that. They are a mean green distributor and the best deal I've found.

jdeere_man 04-04-2012 09:33 AM

my post wasn't an endorsement for optima by any means. I have a "die-hard platinum" battery.

If you want an explanation on the side post issue someone else could probably address that better than me. Or you could address that issue to the manufacturer.



Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string (Post 2216716)
My battery is for a F-350 Diesel and I got it from Carquest. Optima batteries are good, but I haven't had any gel battery last more than 2 years in the past.
I am a HVAC tech, and have been doing hvac and electrical work for 15 years. I understand about amperage, and wire gauging, but I don't understand why the side posts would be not be the same as the top posts as far as being able to supply the same amount of power and amps. MOst GM cars/trucks only come with side posts.
DC voltage and AC voltage are different as DC voltage pulls more amps than AC for the same amount of h.p. This I understand, but I feel my battery is sufficient in a single battery set-up. I am leaning toward a dual battery system, but I was wondering what other alternatives there are


spunebil 04-04-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisbaldwin (Post 2218053)
I just put a mean green 200 amp alternator in mine. There's a guy on eBay who sells them cheap (under $250 shipped). I think their shop name is like Spray It Nitrious or Spraying Nitrious.. something like that. They are a mean green distributor and the best deal I've found.

Me 80/140 alt. Actually tested around 90 someghing at idle and 168 at only 3000 rpm! :)
hard to beat that at only $150 or so bucks ;)
Whats important is.....




It works and I be happy! Lol

denisbaldwin 04-05-2012 05:35 AM

That is the most important thing! I know I'm gonna be hard on this Jeep's electrical system with the winch and lights. Made sense to spend the extra cash and get the biggest alternator I could fit.

year1camaro 04-05-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisbaldwin (Post 2222104)
That is the most important thing! I know I'm gonna be hard on this Jeep's electrical system with the winch and lights. Made sense to spend the extra cash and get the biggest alternator I could fit.

Just curious, but what does your volt gage read when you winch yourself out? With my stock alt. it dropped to nearly 9 volts.

denisbaldwin 04-05-2012 07:33 AM

Not sure, both because my volt gauge is broken and because I haven't had a chance to winch myself out of anything good yet.

year1camaro 04-05-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisbaldwin (Post 2222306)
Not sure, both because my volt gauge is broken and because I haven't had a chance to winch myself out of anything good yet.

Gotcha. Anyone else with a higher output alternator have a volt reading?

Peepers 04-05-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeere_man (Post 2213097)
They specifically say on their website FAQ that a winch should be connected only to the "automotive posts", meaning the top ones.

I don't design batteries, but I understand the "side posts" are connected internally to the "regular posts" using material that isn't heavy enough gauge to support high amperage loads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string (Post 2216716)
I am a HVAC tech, and have been doing hvac and electrical work for 15 years. I understand about amperage, and wire gauging, but I don't understand why the side posts would be not be the same as the top posts as far as being able to supply the same amount of power and amps. MOst GM cars/trucks only come with side posts.
DC voltage and AC voltage are different as DC voltage pulls more amps than AC for the same amount of h.p. This I understand, but I feel my battery is sufficient in a single battery set-up. I am leaning toward a dual battery system, but I was wondering what other alternatives there are

If a battery only has side terminals, then those are made to be used for all the power your vehicle or accessories need. Batteries with top and side connections will have one set designated as the "automotive posts" as these are designed for the high amperage load of starting the vehicle or other uses. The side posts are there to help "declutter" the top posts. I have a lot of little 12v accessories running all over my jeep and my positive terminal used to look like a squirels nest of wires until I installed an aux fuse panel to attach all my accessories to.

Or at least this is my understanding of dual post batteries...

DirtyRob 04-10-2012 10:04 PM

I was not aware of that. I dod, however ask today at the auto parts store where I bought the battery, and they told me that the battery I bought was designed to work on both types of set-ups, and that is why it has both posts. I will try what you all are suggesting, and will report back as soon as I get a chance.

AV8R 02-19-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string (Post 2243977)
I was not aware of that. I dod, however ask today at the auto parts store where I bought the battery, and they told me that the battery I bought was designed to work on both types of set-ups, and that is why it has both posts. I will try what you all are suggesting, and will report back as soon as I get a chance.

I'm about to install my winch and am considering hooking it up to the battery side post. My battery (from the PO) is an Exide 75DT-65.

I wonder if it will handle the winch from the side posts? I'm also wondering if I can run a straight cable from the alternator output to the side post.

DirtyRob 02-19-2013 03:01 PM

I have been running my MileMarker SEC8 from the side post since I got it. No problems. I still have the stock alternator. When I decide to get another it will be a Powermaster


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.