Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep Front End Clicking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-front-end-clicking-150671.html)

Bassett99TJ 04-02-2012 08:16 AM

Jeep Front End Clicking

Jeep started a clicking noise in the front end this weekend, sounds like it is coming from front passenger side. Here is what I know. Does not click when idle, does not click at low RPM, does not click at normal load. Seems that it only clicks when in drive and mash the gas, or in reverse sometimes, and it seems to be a click, click, click in relation to rpms. Can not tell if it is coming from an accessory (alternator, etc.), drivetrain, etc. Clicking sounds like pen clicking almost. Does it in both 4wd and 2wd. :rolleyes:

Bassett99TJ 04-05-2012 06:51 AM

No takers?

Well damn..looks like I stumped you guys on this one. 87 views and not one reply? U joints possibly? :whistling:

GoldenSahara00 04-05-2012 07:43 AM

Rock in the tire.

s--k 04-05-2012 08:25 AM

The noise is independent of steering wheel position? So you are ruling out steering linkage? The noise is not present when the Jeep isn't moving and you jerk or cycle the steering wheel back and forth? I've just seen alot of noises come from control arms and track bar mounting points so I almost always think those spots first.

I don't think a "spike" in forward or reverse throttle would uncover a ujoint noise. If you suspect a ujoint, first what condition are they in? Have you changed them, are they greasable? You can sometimes tell on an OE ujoint when they are wearing out because of the red rust dust that is present around the caps. You'll often feel a resistance in the steering wheel when you make sharp turns. I suppose it is possible that maybe you cracked a needle bearing inside of an otherwise good ujoint and it is creating some noise, but I'd kind of be surprised.

Do you have a engine mount lift? Have you ever moved the fan shroud? If so, any contact between the fan blade and the shroud?

Have you had somebody outside the vehicle try to isolate where the noise is coming from? Maybe in an empty parking lot with your hood up and a person paying attention to things as you try to recreate the problem from a dead stop?

A rock in the tire you'd hear above any certain speed and it would be consistent with speed (not rpm), but it would exist under normal load, which you say it doesn't.

Bassett99TJ 04-05-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 2222329)
Rock in the tire.

Nope, no rock in the tire. Thank you for playing though.:dance:

GoldenSahara00 04-05-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassett99TJ

Nope, no rock in the tire. Thank you for playing though.:dance:

Welcome :wavey: mine does this too actually. Very noticeable at low speed with no doors. I think mines a rock though because it goes away til I drive in gravel.

RubiCobra 04-05-2012 03:07 PM

Could be the ujoint in your front driveshaft.

KBR97 04-05-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubiCobra (Post 2223770)
Could be the ujoint in your front driveshaft.

That...or a joint in one of the front axles.