Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Driving OffRoad Question- Rubicon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/driving-offroad-question-rubicon-150691.html)

mxman122 04-02-2012 11:28 AM

Driving OffRoad Question- Rubicon
 
Guys,

I'm going to take the Jeep offroad for the 1st time this weekend. I'm a motocross guy and haven't doen it 4 wheels yet. I've watched the Video in the "sticky" section but have some questions and looking for any advice.

As soon as I hit dirt I understand moving to 4H, when slower area's I go to 4L. As soon as I hit dirt do I hit the locker and sway bar buttons ?? Or wait for certain situations ?? If I wait for certain situations what would they be ??

The link below is where i'm heading. It's the closest to where I live.

Down South Offroad Park

daggo66 04-02-2012 11:34 AM

Sway bar disconnects are for off camber situations. You don't need to use 4wd until you need it. I would experiment with the options in a safe area so that you know what you're doing when you need them. It sounds like you should be going with an experienced co-pilot.

Casotakar1229 04-02-2012 11:45 AM

looks like they care more about atvs, dirt bikes, mules and machines of that sort than jeeps or 4x4s (trucks or what have you). good luck with the rubi!

Wharfrat 04-02-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2210359)
Sway bar disconnects are for off camber situations.

What are you talking about? Extreme off camber situations are when I would want to RECONNECT the swaybar.

sneck 04-02-2012 11:55 AM

swap to 4lo or high to gain more traction. if you attempt an obstacle and cant get over it in 2w, swap to 4w. lo is for going slow, more traction, high is for higher speed, but still needing 4w traction (aka on sand). disco the swaybar generally the same time you air down, and reconnect when youre done. in a rubi its easier, but just disco before you start wheeling. it always the front end to flex easier. if you're in a situation where you would be off camber and wanting a swaybar to make things safer, its already unsafe anyways!

mud_puppy 04-02-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat (Post 2210409)
What are you talking about? Extreme off camber situations are when I would want to RECONNECT the swaybar.

I'm a complete newb to offroading, and even I don't understand this. Doesn't disconnecting the swaybar allow for greater articulation? Wouldn't that be exactly what you want in an off-camber situation?

daggo66 04-02-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat

What are you talking about? Extreme off camber situations are when I would want to RECONNECT the swaybar.

No, you want both tires on the ground, not one in the air. By off camber I mean obstacles that will make one wheel higher than another.

daggo66 04-02-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud_puppy

I'm a complete newb to offroading, and even I don't understand this. Doesn't disconnecting the swaybar allow for greater articulation? Wouldn't that be exactly what you want in an off-camber situation?

Yes it is.

Duffyc04 04-02-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat

What are you talking about? Extreme off camber situations are when I would want to RECONNECT the swaybar.

Guess again...

If you're extremely off camber you want maximum suspension travel/flex, which disconnected swaybars allows for, so the body of the car doesn't sway laterally when the tires are pushed up into the wheel wells when climbing rocks, going over logs, etc...

snikt 04-02-2012 12:01 PM

Now I'm confused, someone just post pictures of when you should or shouldn't

sneck 04-02-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snikt (Post 2210442)
Now I'm confused, someone just post pictures of when you should or shouldn't

what? pictures of when to disco the sway bar? when you offroad, the sway bar should be disco'd for maximum articulation. if you keep the sway bar connected, thats up to you, you should never be a situation where a swaybar will cause a crash, because if you're climbing something that hard, someone (mostly yourself) should understand how suspension works.

the quick and easy is, the sway bar helps reduce body roll, specifically during high speed/g movement (aka road travel). disco for offroad, connect for on road

and before anyone says "what about high speed offroading" theres a reason companies make dual rate sway bars, or even just ultra flexy sway bars, so that you can keep it connected and still get increased flex

WatchThis! 04-02-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat

What are you talking about? Extreme off camber situations are when I would want to RECONNECT the swaybar.

Like Daggo said you want to be discoed when off camber. The whole idea is for your jeep to flex. If you are conected and on uneven ground you will cause the body of the jeep to move more then it should and can cause a flop. Its not like your going to be going 50mph and need to keep body sway under check... Becouse thats all a "sway" bar does

snikt 04-02-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 2210456)
what? pictures of when to disco the sway bar? when you offroad, the sway bar should be disco'd for maximum articulation. if you keep the sway bar connected, thats up to you, you should never be a situation where a swaybar will cause a crash, because if you're climbing something that hard, someone (mostly yourself) should understand how suspension works.

the quick and easy is, the sway bar helps reduce body roll, specifically during high speed/g movement (aka road travel). disco for offroad, connect for on road

and before anyone says "what about high speed offroading" theres a reason companies make dual rate sway bars, or even just ultra flexy sway bars, so that you can keep it connected and still get increased flex

Well I'm only saying because people seem to be contradicting each other in this thread on when to

sneck 04-02-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snikt (Post 2210463)
Well I'm only saying because people seem to be contradicting each other in this thread on when to

when in doubt, google the answer, dont just assume folks on a forum know whats best for your offroading. facts about suspension systems and 4x4ing are pretty rock solid

Nanook 04-02-2012 12:11 PM

Unless u have modded ur Rubicon, lockers only work in 4lo. Generally, I stay in 4lo on most trails, I dont like to keep shifting and or using my brakes.

Wharfrat 04-02-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2210423)
No, you want both tires on the ground, not one in the air. By off camber I mean obstacles that will make one wheel higher than another.

Off camber is a "sidehill". What you are talking about is simply when articulation is necessary. And yes, of course you want to be disconnected when you need articulation. When on an extreme sidehill though (AKA offcamber) a swaybar helps with the body lean. Now if you need max articulation while also on a sidehill, that's a different story entirely.

Looking at the replies in the thread I can't believe you are all misusing this term. Big facepalm over here.

positrak 04-02-2012 12:13 PM

http://i.imgur.com/QdZoU.jpg

daggo66 04-02-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat

Off camber is a sidehill. What you are talking about is simply when articulation is necessary.

It's a common term that people who actually off road completely understand. I realized you were thinking of something else and that's why I added the explanation.

daggo66 04-02-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snikt

Well I'm only saying because people seem to be contradicting each other in this thread on when to

Only one person made a contradiction.

Wharfrat 04-02-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2210486)
It's a common term that people who actually off road completely understand. I realized you were thinking of something else and that's why I added the explanation.

I've been wheeling for 18 years. Stuff where you get extreme body damage, broken glass, and rollovers. It's you who were misusing the term. Don't tell me that "people who actually wheel" understand the term the way you used it, because we don't, n00btits.

WatchThis! 04-02-2012 12:25 PM

Even if you are driving on a side hill thats got anykind of grade to it at all you still want to be discoed becouse if you dont your sway bar will be pushing you body down hill... Got to let them axels move as free as they can to keep the body lean under check.

daggo66 04-02-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat

I've been wheeling for 18 years. Stuff where you get extreme body damage, broken glass, and rollovers. It's you who were misusing the term. Don't tell me that "people who actually wheel" understand the term the way you used it, because we don't, n00btits.

Whatever, everyone else but you understood.

Dr Gonzo 04-02-2012 12:32 PM

There is no difference in traction between 4hi and 4lo. 4lo is for greater torque and, in the case of the Rubicon, incredibly low crawl speed in first gear. 4lo does automatically shut off your traction control, but you can shut that off manually in any drive setting.

If you engage your lockers, you will effectively more than double your traction on each axle - even if a wheel is in the air the other one will drive, and all of your power will be directed forward with both wheels on the ground, unless you manage to break them both loose. Do that with both axles, and you almost have a tank.

However, locking axles increases your traction and decreases your handling/maneuverability. Turning in sand isn't such a big deal with the rear locked, but on rocks it could cause some serious problems. Even hard packed dirt can do goofy things. And go ahead and forget about turning the steering wheel if the front is locked.

zmotorsports 04-02-2012 12:47 PM

To get a feel for what you will need will have to be experimented with. This becomes more of a "feel" for each individual than to say when it is "this" do this or that.

I generally don't lock it into 4wd until I either need the extra traction, such as soft sand or I need lower gearing for more power/RPM, then I will select 4lo.

As far as lockers we did Hell's Revenge in Moab a few weeks ago and there were only two obstacles that I locked the axles on. One in hindsight I probably didn't need to.

If it appears that a wheel will be lifted or at least unloaded I will lock the axles to minimize unneccessary wheel spin. Other than that one wheel driving on front and one rear in 4lo is generally adequate, but then again do some experimenting to get a "feel" for it.

I know some who will select 4wd as soon as they leave pavement even though it is not necessary until traction or gearing dictates.

Mike.

OH9JK 04-02-2012 12:56 PM

How about taking an off-roading class or riding with someone more experienced?

Information on these forums can be good but can't replace real world driving experience. You need to learn about and how to operate all of the features your Rubicon has before you hit the trail.


:cool:

jeepkingtn 04-02-2012 01:14 PM

Send for a free copy of Mark Smith's guide to offroading and check out a Jeep Jamboree.

http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/guide-to-...-road-driving/

WatchThis! 04-02-2012 01:27 PM

Comment deleated becouse I got my people mixed up... Sorry bout that

ranjr 04-02-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepkingtn
Send for a free copy of Mark Smith's guide to offroading and check out a Jeep Jamboree.

http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/guide-to-...-road-driving/

Attending a Jeep Jamboree is a great way to learn what you and your Jeep are capable of. They generally will have you put it in 4 low for the entire day though. Even in 4 low with my Rubi's 4:1 transfer case and 5 speed auto, I was able to drive through all 5 forward speeds and got around the park fine. I wouldn't drive more than about 20 mph as it will start racing the RPMs.

zmotorsports 04-02-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 2210645)
How about taking an off-roading class or riding with someone more experienced?

Information on these forums can be good but can't replace real world driving experience. You need to learn about and how to operate all of the features your Rubicon has before you hit the trail.


:cool:

This can be the best way to learn rather than reading on a forum. Although I would recommend finding people to communicate and wheel with in your local area before I would pay someone to teach but that is just my opinion.

Wheeling with experienced off-roaders is a great way to learn and just to get out and meet new people with common interests.

Post a thread on the section for your area on the forum and see if you can get a group together for an outing.

I am trying to do just that on the Utah section right now. Just trying to get a group of locals to start getting together on a regular basis.

Mike.

CapnRich22 04-02-2012 01:43 PM

i always say.. go as far as you can in 2wd... you will know when you will need 4wd... and 4lo doesn't happen often unless you are in some serious stuff.... anyways go out and try it on some easy stuff, get use to your machine


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.