Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Petty or not (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/petty-or-not-150802.html)

JeepgirlNY 04-02-2012 05:58 PM

Petty or not

I washed the jeep for the first time today - had it since Saturday. I noticed a ding that has been hit with some touch up paint on the hardtop. Should I say something to the dealer - it shouldn't bother anything as far as the integrity of the top but still was a little irritated on a brand new jeep - thoughts?

kbwwolf 04-02-2012 06:00 PM

If you didn't see it when you inspected the Jeep before you took delivery, they could always just say it wasn't there initially.

Some dealers are cool w/stuff like that. Some aren't. Can't hurt to mention it...you may get a free fix out of it. On the other hand, they may just claim it's on you.

Did they touch it up, or did you?

Up Hill Bill 04-02-2012 06:00 PM

If it bothers you, tell them that the touch up job is unsatisfactory and you want a better job done. They should cooperate.

JackdUp 04-02-2012 06:01 PM

If you are posting here about what to do, I'd say something. It's your brand new ride, and if anyone is to put a ding in a brand new Jeep, it should be YOU.

Congrats on the new ride too.

ESP 04-02-2012 06:01 PM

Don't waste a second caring about it. My advice is to take your jeep wheeling at least 3x more times before the end of the month through mud, dirt, rocks, water, and tight bushes. You'll care even less because the new factor will wear off quickly. Then you can get back to enjoying your dirty jeep.

JeepgirlNY 04-02-2012 06:02 PM

Dealer

I never would have noticed upon delivery unless i got out a ladder - was not easy to see until I had a ladder to wash top - had couple scuffs as well hit with black touch up.

Up Hill Bill 04-02-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2211764)
If you didn't see it when you inspected the Jeep before you took delivery, they could always just say it wasn't there initially.

Some dealers are cool w/stuff like that. Some aren't. Can't hurt to mention it...you may get a free fix out of it. On the other hand, they may just claim it's on you.

And, then you'll know what kind of dealer service you're going to get from them in the future. Might as well find out now. If they don't treat you right, you can get warranty work done at any Chrysler dealer, and regular service at any qualified shop.

ESP 04-02-2012 06:03 PM

Sell the hardtop pronto and get a softy, then do as instructed in previous reply. :D

KBR97 04-02-2012 06:04 PM

If its on top you'll rarely see it. I wouldn't bother.

4Jeepn 04-02-2012 06:04 PM

You can call and ask if they can retouch it... From what a recall a few years back BMW was repainting entire cars as they came in to certain dealers... caused a major uproar.. but in the end it was within their right to do it and not much the customer could do.

wrangler0 04-02-2012 06:07 PM

Is it a hard top that's painted to match the body color or just the regular ol black hardtop that's got that textured paint on it?

If its the textured paint. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
When/if you go off road, tree branches will scuff it up even more!

**edit: I just saw a pic of your jeep in your other thread and see that you have a regular ol black hard top Don't worry about that touch up at all. Not worth it in my opinion.....so yes, petty :) **

Casotakar1229 04-02-2012 06:14 PM

wouldn't be petty in my mind. of course, dealers want you to be happy as possible in the first couple weeks so now is your best shot.

strider_mt2k 04-02-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2211769)
Don't waste a second caring about it. My advice is to take your jeep wheeling at least 3x more times before the end of the month through mud, dirt, rocks, water, and tight bushes. You'll care even less because the new factor will wear off quickly. Then you can get back to enjoying your dirty jeep.

X2

The sooner I had some custom "pinestriping" applied, the sooner I relaxed and didn't worry about it anymore.

jp2611 04-02-2012 06:24 PM

I am of the other side.....I am "anal" about that type of thing. I would be having them fix it, it's a brand new Jeep! Granted you may dint ding and scratch it up but that is your option. I took my '94 YJ back in for the same thing...initially said they couldn't fix it without painting the whole top. My response was so paint the whole top..they argued a little but agreed to do it if the top was off the Jeep. I took my bikini top with me pulled the screws and bolts in the parking lot and drove into the shop. They lifted it off, and I picked it up a couple days later.