Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   6in Long Arm Skyjacker Kit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/6in-long-arm-skyjacker-kit-150930.html)

zacharytyoung 04-03-2012 08:31 AM

6in Long Arm Skyjacker Kit
 
I am about to be stationed back in Virginia, so im planning on getting my jeep from home and putting the Skyjacker 6in long arm on it. Here is the link from where I plan on buying it, Skyjacker 6" Rock Ready I Bent Arm Long Arm Kit with Hydro Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec
I am taking off the body kit it orginially had on it. What else will I need besides this kit if anyone doesnt mind telling me. I would like to know the manditory things and items that will prolong the life of the kit and brakes and what ever else can help. Thank you for any in put.

DevilDogDoc 04-03-2012 09:19 AM

You don't need a long arm kit to enjoy it and you certainly don't want skyjacker. You actually gonna wheel this rig?

blkrubi88 04-03-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 2214069)
You don't need a long arm kit to enjoy it and you certainly don't want skyjacker. You actually gonna wheel this rig?

I have a SkyJacker lift on mine and I wheel the piss out of it with no issues.

DevilDogDoc 04-03-2012 10:26 AM

Having spent some time at Lejune, I recall the soupy mud well. Not what I call wheeling the piss out of anything. This is what I call wheeling the piss out of a rig.
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...un/mama008.jpg

jayson85 04-03-2012 10:27 AM

Go with a rubicon express 5.5inch or 6 inch long arm lift kit a little more on cash side but worth it but with the added height your gonna need a new driveshaft and a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and if you plan on putting 35's on stock dana 35 and wheel it you may consider an axle swap

blkrubi88 04-03-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 2214299)
Having spent some time at Lejune, I recall the soupy mud well. Not what I call wheeling the piss out of anything. This is what I call wheeling the piss out of a rig.
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...un/mama008.jpg

Really, you're comparing a rock buggy to a daily driven Jeep, that's like comparing a fighter jet to a crop duster.

By the way, I only hit the mud if it's on the trail.

MarkNog 04-03-2012 11:46 AM

If I was gonna go with 35s, in my own opinion i think i would do a 4.5 inch lift with a 1 inch body lift for a lower center of gravity but...

Your gonna want...
SYE, cv drive shaft, longer brake lines, new gears, heavy duty tie rod or drag link.

And possibly a new rear axle and if you have some extra money... a locker/stronger shafts/disk brakes but you don't need the extras

If your carrying a spare with you, a tire carrier is always good so you dont ruin you tailgate with that massive piece of rubber hangin off the back.

DevilDogDoc 04-03-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkrubi88 (Post 2214481)
Really, you're comparing a rock buggy to a daily driven Jeep, that's like comparing a fighter jet to a crop duster.

By the way, I only hit the mud if it's on the trail.

You will notice the plate on the back of the green one, I believe it was driven from Colorado to Johnson Valley where that pic was taken. My point is what you call wheeling the piss out of something is not the same as everyone elses.

Imped 04-03-2012 12:57 PM

So far, the brands mentioned in this thread kind of suck.

Keep researching OP.

As for the above picture.....I fully plan on wheeling my DD there one day, all without a trailer. No big deal as long as you've got a well-built rig.

rda616 04-03-2012 01:14 PM

The only long arm lift I would concider is clayton, but really don't think a long arm lift is necessary. I have a 3.5" sl and a 1" bl with 35's and have no problem with the clearance it gives. I'm actually going the other way. Taking lift out and going with highline fenders to keep cog low with actual function .

blkrubi88 04-03-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 2214658)
You will notice the plate on the back of the green one, I believe it was driven from Colorado to Johnson Valley where that pic was taken. My point is what you call wheeling the piss out of something is not the same as everyone elses.

You're still comparing a Corvette to a VW, but it's all good.
Hit me up if you're every back in NC and we'll hit some trails or have a cold one.:thumb:

zacharytyoung 04-03-2012 01:39 PM

For starters,

Im in Virginia. Lejurne is in NC. Second I have researched and owned several jeeps. Not my first rig. I know what I want when it comes to the lift, I just need the extras. I know about the angle changes as you lift it with a suspension lift and that is what is going to happen. I am getting a SYE of course but what else is need is my real question here. and the Rubicon lifts are pricy for what the company gives you. My budys springs have went out twice over a short period of time and he switched to skyjacker and is happy with as is many of my freinds. I want to get away from the body lift, and Im not making a jeep that is going to pull 38's. and for the axle swap, I have had 35's on my jeep for almost 2 years now and it has operated with perfection and on long distance rides over 4000 miles in one week with no problems but I will switch out the axles probably to dana 44's later.

But back to my real question, besides the SYE what else would I need?

and yes I do some off roading but I am not trying to climb over the biggest rock I can find.

schnutzy 04-03-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacharytyoung (Post 2214866)
For starters,

Im in Virginia. Lejurne is in NC. Second I have researched and owned several jeeps. Not my first rig. I know what I want when it comes to the lift, I just need the extras. I know about the angle changes as you lift it with a suspension lift and that is what is going to happen. I am getting a SYE of course but what else is need is my real question here. and the Rubicon lifts are pricy for what the company gives you. My budys springs have went out twice over a short period of time and he switched to skyjacker and is happy with as is many of my freinds. I want to get away from the body lift, and Im not making a jeep that is going to pull 38's. and for the axle swap, I have had 35's on my jeep for almost 2 years now and it has operated with perfection and on long distance rides over 4000 miles in one week with no problems but I will switch out the axles probably to dana 44's later.

But back to my real question, besides the SYE what else would I need?

and yes I do some off roading but I am not trying to climb over the biggest rock I can find.

you will also need rear upper adjustable control arms.
it might be worth it to look for a kit that replaces all 8 control arms.

Imped 04-03-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacharytyoung (Post 2214866)
Second I have researched and owned several jeeps. Not my first rig.

Then by now you should have a decent foundation of knowledge when it comes to how to properly design and execute a high quality, durable, predictable link suspension, let alone what other parts you need. That leads me to wonder why you would ever consider one of the worst choices out there.

DevilDogDoc 04-03-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacharytyoung (Post 2214866)
For starters,

Im in Virginia. Lejurne is in NC. Second I have researched and owned several jeeps. Not my first rig. I know what I want when it comes to the lift, I just need the extras. I know about the angle changes as you lift it with a suspension lift and that is what is going to happen. I am getting a SYE of course but what else is need is my real question here. and the Rubicon lifts are pricy for what the company gives you. My budys springs have went out twice over a short period of time and he switched to skyjacker and is happy with as is many of my freinds. I want to get away from the body lift, and Im not making a jeep that is going to pull 38's. and for the axle swap, I have had 35's on my jeep for almost 2 years now and it has operated with perfection and on long distance rides over 4000 miles in one week with no problems but I will switch out the axles probably to dana 44's later.

But back to my real question, besides the SYE what else would I need?

and yes I do some off roading but I am not trying to climb over the biggest rock I can find.

For starters the Lejuene comment was toward Blkrubi not you. I don't have reading comprehension issues. If skyjackers products fit your needs than do it. I wouldn't run it but that's me. Since you seem to know what your doing by your own admission then my input is no longer needed. Rubi, if I'm ever out that way, I'll take you up on your offer. Imped from what I have seen of your rig you would make the run out here and back in comfort.

rda616 04-03-2012 02:29 PM

I agree! If I were looking at a lift for a 78 bronco, or a 2" budget boost then skyjacker would be something I would have at the top of my list. But for a spring lift on a tj, well they would be somewhere near the bottom of the list right next to rancho .

zacharytyoung 04-03-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 2215038)
For starters the Lejuene comment was toward Blkrubi not you. I don't have reading comprehension issues. If skyjackers products fit your needs than do it. I wouldn't run it but that's me. Since you seem to know what your doing by your own admission then my input is no longer needed. Rubi, if I'm ever out that way, I'll take you up on your offer. Imped from what I have seen of your rig you would make the run out here and back in comfort.

my bad, I was just scanning through.

zacharytyoung 04-03-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 2214886)
Then by now you should have a decent foundation of knowledge when it comes to how to properly design and execute a high quality, durable, predictable link suspension, let alone what other parts you need. That leads me to wonder why you would ever consider one of the worst choices out there.

This is my first rig that im putting a good bit of money into and I dont want to mess up. In your experience why would you not get skyjacker, over what you could buy?

rda616 04-03-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacharytyoung

This is my first rig that im putting a good bit of money into and I dont want to mess up. In your experience why would you not get skyjacker, over what you could buy?

Skyjacker was the bees knees a decade ago. The same could be said for my rubicon express lift a few years back. The thing is technology gets better. And unfortunately skyjacker failed to keep up with newer, better designs. Using skyjacker would be something like using a 1983 gm 350 making 160 hp and 200 ft# tq getting 8 mpg in an engine swap when you could have a ls motor getting 23 mpg, with 300 hp and 345 ft# tq. It just doesn't make much sense to pay that much for something that is ok at best by todays standard.

Imped 04-04-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rda616 (Post 2216483)
Skyjacker was the bees knees a decade ago. The same could be said for my rubicon express lift a few years back. The thing is technology gets better. And unfortunately skyjacker failed to keep up with newer, better designs. Using skyjacker would be something like using a 1983 gm 350 making 160 hp and 200 ft# tq getting 8 mpg in an engine swap when you could have a ls motor getting 23 mpg, with 300 hp and 345 ft# tq. It just doesn't make much sense to pay that much for something that is ok at best by todays standard.

Not trying to be a jerk, but not really. Skyjacker or RE was only considered good because the population's general knowledge of link suspension wasn't sufficient enough for them to make up their own mind on what's good or bad. Neither company has never done things 'right' in my opinion. That knowledge base has expanded exponentially and people are now capable of making better, more-informed decisions--not all, but more than a decade ago.....if you can sort out the misleading, exploitative advertising from the facts then you'll end up with better parts. The funny thing is, companies like Currie have been doing it right and building great parts for the TJ market for over a decade....they just never advertised their shiny products as much, nor did they make all kinds of false promises. Now look what's happening--they still don't advertise much but they are well-regarded as one of the top names when it comes to suspension and drivetrain, for good reason, all while companies like RE, SJ and the other cookie-cutter crap is tarnished, for good reason.

The OP is looking at that junky kit thinking that it comes with everything he needs and he'll be set. What you're not realizing is that yeah, it has a good number of parts--unfortunately, none of them use good components and they aren't designed to work well. I see poly bushings and cheap knock off joints on the control arms. That's the wrong way to do it. I see link mount rails that stack between the frame and t-case skid, with not enough vertical separation at that. Wrong way to do it. I see a front track bar that won't clear the diff cover, along with a DPA and drop track bar bracket that will only make your life irritating. If all you're looking to do is the bare minimum to have some tall, street-queen Jeep that looks like it came straight from the Qtec catalog, then go for it. To make such a tall setup work OK for daily use, you'll need a SYE and proper-length double cardan drive shaft. If you want something that will actually perform well on AND off the road and hold up for years, I highly recommend you never consider SJ for anything.

rda616 04-04-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped

Not trying to be a jerk, but not really. Skyjacker or RE was only considered good because the population's general knowledge of link suspension wasn't sufficient enough for them to make up their own mind on what's good or bad. Neither company has never done things 'right' in my opinion. That knowledge base has expanded exponentially and people are now capable of making better, more-informed decisions--not all, but more than a decade ago.....if you can sort out the misleading, exploitative advertising from the facts then you'll end up with better parts. The funny thing is, companies like Currie have been doing it right and building great parts for the TJ market for over a decade....they just never advertised their shiny products as much, nor did they make all kinds of false promises. Now look what's happening--they still don't advertise much but they are well-regarded as one of the top names when it comes to suspension and drivetrain, for good reason, all while companies like RE, SJ and the other cookie-cutter crap is tarnished, for good reason.

The OP is looking at that junky kit thinking that it comes with everything he needs and he'll be set. What you're not realizing is that yeah, it has a good number of parts--unfortunately, none of them use good components and they aren't designed to work well. I see poly bushings and cheap knock off joints on the control arms. That's the wrong way to do it. I see link mount rails that stack between the frame and t-case skid, with not enough vertical separation at that. Wrong way to do it. I see a front track bar that won't clear the diff cover, along with a DPA and drop track bar bracket that will only make your life irritating. If all you're looking to do is the bare minimum to have some tall, street-queen Jeep that looks like it came straight from the Qtec catalog, then go for it. To make such a tall setup work OK for daily use, you'll need a SYE and proper-length double cardan drive shaft. If you want something that will actually perform well on AND off the road and hold up for years, I highly recommend you never consider SJ for anything.

Yes but my point was company like currie continue to improve upon their products. Even currie has had flawed designs in the past. The difference is they chose to use their resources to improve their designs. Unfortunately the others did not, which is why they are at the bottom of the heap. And to perfectly fair no one make a mass production track bar that will clear a thick diff cover and steering. You even with currie, or jks you still need bump stop extension.

Imped 04-04-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rda616 (Post 2218470)
Yes but my point was company like currie continue to improve upon their products. Even currie has had flawed designs in the past. The difference is they chose to use their resources to improve their designs. Unfortunately the others did not, which is why they are at the bottom of the heap.

Very good point.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-04-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rda616 (Post 2218470)
Yes but my point was company like currie continue to improve upon their products. Even currie has had flawed designs in the past. The difference is they chose to use their resources to improve their designs. Unfortunately the others did not, which is why they are at the bottom of the heap. And to perfectly fair no one make a mass production track bar that will clear a thick diff cover and steering. Even with currie, or jks you still need 2"+ bump stop extension.

x2. all true...just updated the last wording a little for clarity. :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.