Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   bump stops (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bump-stops-151136.html)

JAYBICON 04-03-2012 10:28 PM

bump stops

has anyone that has removed there t-case drop, used the skidplate spacers as bump stop extinsions? they seem close to the same size but not sure just asking:whistling:

Wrangler06 04-03-2012 10:55 PM

It all depends on how much bumpstop you need. If they are the same amount you need then sure theyll work

Mortalis5509 04-03-2012 11:07 PM

Sure that will work or hockey pucks as well.

JAYBICON 04-04-2012 07:35 AM

they are about a 1.25" and and with my 2.5 spring lift,1.25b, 1mml and 33 12.5 15 tires reaad i need 1" front 1/1.5 rear so I think they can work any input on the best way to do this with the lift alreay installed?

JAYBICON 04-04-2012 09:04 PM

when I got this jeep it had the 2.5 rc spring lift on it and i dont know if it has the stock bump stops? can someone tell me what the stock lengths are front and rear? this is my first wrangler thanks

UnlimitedLJ04 04-04-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBICON (Post 2220864)
when I got this jeep it had the 2.5 rc spring lift on it and i dont know if it has the stock bump stops? can someone tell me what the stock lengths are front and rear? this is my first wrangler thanks

the length of the jounce bumper won't change....thats the cushion that fully compresses into the cup during suspension travel. to extend the bumpstops you reduce the distance between the cup on the frame side and the axle contact pad...

See my post here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/ome-...ml#post1008786

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1008786)
The bumpstop is made of three main parts - the bumpstop/spring tower, the bumpstop cup and the jounce bumper. Thats the crap in the middle of your spring. You need to extend the bumpstops with larger tires or a lift. Some cheaper companies leave bumpstop extension out...they just assume you won't notice or they plain don't care.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...springtech.jpg

The jounce bumper is the rubber thing in the middle - that cushions the impact of the axle to the spring tower/frame. It is designed to fully compress into the bumpstop cup.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...h/DSC01912.jpg

If you don't have bumpstop extensions you will end up using the shocks as bumpstops....that means you break the shock or the shock mount. I've seen them rip off the axle or shear bar pins. If you run larger tires, you need bumpstop extension because unless you change the distance from the hub center to the fender AT FULL SUSPENSION COMPRESSION, you will damage your fenders. Not the flares, the actual steel body panels.

The primary function of the spring is to keep your bumpstops off the axle pad. Thats it. Lift springs do NOT provide clearance for larger tires...they only keep your bumpstops off the axle. Bumpstops provide clearance for larger tires, and prevent shock damage & overcompression.

Front bumpstop extensions go in the front lower spring pad:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/3Inch-Lift/tj3inch07.jpg

Rear bumpstop extensions go on the rear frame side spring perch:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/3Inch-Lift/tj3inch11.jpg

Otherwise you can end up with this condition:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...25bumpstop.jpg

Which will rip the shock mounts off and cause problems like this:
RC 2.5" spring lift on an 02 TJ (rear driviers side axle view) - YouTube

here's more info:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html
bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - JeepForum.com
Jeep 3 Inch Budget Lift Installation

JAYBICON 04-04-2012 10:07 PM

THANKS LJO4 that is good stuff! this is what I have 2005 rubicon 2 door,2.5 rc spring lift, 1.25 jks bl, 1mml, disco's and just came home to 5 15x8 steely's with 3.75 backspace with 33 12.5 TSL tires that I thought and been reading that they wil fit with out any rubbing while offroad and front disconected BUT you say that is not true?

JAYBICON 04-05-2012 09:24 PM

What year did rc change the shocks 0n the 2.5 spring kit? keep reading the old 2.2 shocks that are to long how old is old?

jrussblues 04-05-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBICON
THANKS LJO4 that is good stuff! this is what I have 2005 rubicon 2 door,2.5 rc spring lift, 1.25 jks bl, 1mml, disco's and just came home to 5 15x8 steely's with 3.75 backspace with 33 12.5 TSL tires that I thought and been reading that they wil fit with out any rubbing while offroad and front disconected BUT you say that is not true?

It all depends on how your kit flexes, the only way to really tell is to flex it out. I stepped up from my 2" ome springs and 1" bl to a 3.5 re with the bl thinking that it would clear the 33's just fine. I was wrong. A lot of factors make that up though.

JAYBICON 04-05-2012 09:43 PM

what is not clearing?

jrussblues 04-05-2012 09:49 PM

The front fenders on the tire, but again, mines a different set up. Best way to figure it out is to test the flex.

JAYBICON 04-05-2012 09:54 PM

May i ask the back space on your steely's? and are you hiting flares or just fender?

jrussblues 04-05-2012 10:03 PM

Absolutely, I run 3.75 bs and the pic shows the tire tucking nicely behind the flare and up to the fender (sorry best pic I have of it). I'm also in an lj an I'm sure that screws with geometry somehow.

JAYBICON 04-05-2012 10:13 PM

how about bump stops?

jrussblues 04-05-2012 10:24 PM

2" extensions all the way around (uf memory serves) that came with the kit.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-06-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 2225351)
Best way to figure it out is test the clearances at full bump and full flex with the springs removed.

fixed it for you :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBICON (Post 2221278)
2.5 rc spring lift, 1.25 jks bl, 1mml, disco's and just came home to 5 15x8 steely's with 3.75 backspace with 33 12.5 TSL tires that I thought and been reading that they wil fit with out any rubbing while offroad and front disconected BUT you say that is not true?

I run 33's on ~2.5" SL/1.25" BL...but I've also carefully determined my bumpstop extension requirement & control arm lengths by pushing the axle to full bump and full flex with the springs removed (track bars & shocks connected).

jrussblues 04-06-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04

fixed it for you :thumb:

I run 33's on ~2.5" SL/1.25" BL...but I've also carefully determined my bumpstop extension requirement & control arm lengths by pushing the axle to full bump and full flex with the springs removed (track bars & shocks connected).

Agreed

JAYBICON 04-06-2012 07:40 PM

Will things change with the front disconnected? Seems if you set bump stops with the bar conneted, when you do disconnect the bump stops defeat the purpose of disconneting in the first place? or is there something I'm missing?

UnlimitedLJ04 04-06-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBICON (Post 2228520)
Will things change with the front disconnected? Seems if you set bump stops with the bar conneted, when you do disconnect the bump stops defeat the purpose of disconneting in the first place? or is there something I'm missing?

with stock sway bars, you only disconnect the front, not the rear. if you have a Currie Anti-Rock, you don't disconnect it at all.

JAYBICON 04-06-2012 08:18 PM

SO? you must not disconnect then and if so? I just installed jks disco's do I need to disconnect the see what bump stops i need?

jrussblues 04-06-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBICON
SO? you must not disconnect then and if so? I just installed jks disco's do I need to disconnect the see what bump stops i need?

Yes, check the bumpstops when disconnected.

LJMJ 04-06-2012 08:49 PM

UnlimitedLJ04, you indicate that the front bump stops go on the axle spring pad, but I often see pics of extensions being added above the jounce bumper. Is that passable at all? Or does that cause some other problems? (weird angle or just not really strong enough?)

JAYBICON 04-06-2012 08:55 PM

Thank you

Irongrave 04-06-2012 09:11 PM

We went a little different route as the PO messed up out front bump stops. one side he cut the can for it off and the other rotted away to nothing.

Took a 2 1/2 hole saw to the top of the coil bucket then welded in a pair of bump stop cans then added a pair of SAW 4in travel air bumps. Took a little time to set up and make sure the spring wouldn't contact the air bump during its cycle but so far very happy with them.
http://stillwater-photoworks.smugmug.../IMG6772-M.jpg

UnlimitedLJ04 04-07-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJMJ (Post 2228803)
UnlimitedLJ04, you indicate that the front bump stops go on the axle spring pad, but I often see pics of extensions being added above the jounce bumper. Is that passable at all? Or does that cause some other problems? (weird angle or just not really strong enough?)

Yes, you can add front bumpstops on the frame side, but its not great. The way the axle pad hits the bumpstop tower, you can end up bending the tower or worse yet destroying the threaded section inside the tower. The longer the extension, the worse it gets.

I used to have the link to a thread from JF w/ pictures of such a problem, but I've since lost it.

In the rear, you really have no other choice but to put them on the frame side. The pinion angle rotation really makes things problematic. In the rear, once you get a lift and CV shaft, the bumpstops and rear spring don't line up well at all. That's why you see people doing the spring perch relocation mod. But not many people are willing to drop the gas tank and pull the axle out, cut their rear spring perch off and relocate it. Crapload of work...so 99% seem to ignore this problem...

IMO, there's a few things that are not easy for average people to fix when lifting a TJ. The rear spring perch alignment, the rear track bar bracket, and the cast single shear front track bar bracket. There's no good way to address any of those without welding & fabrication, so you end up with compromises.

LJMJ 04-07-2012 01:57 PM

Thank you very much, I value your knowledge and experience. I'll put it to good use when doing mine!

JAYBICON 04-15-2012 11:19 PM

Ok this is what I think I will do with what I got. found some hocky pucks going to slip one in the front, install the 33's disconnect the sway bar, leave the springs and shocks connected, and start jacking one side off the axle up and see what happens. If I still need more bump I will install my bushings from the t-case drop I removed and cut them down as needed. In the rear I will just add one of the bushings on the frame side and see what happens. Will this work? Can get full flex with just jacking one side of the axle up at one time?