Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Best lift for the YJs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/best-lift-for-the-yjs-151142.html)

Ianbeaulieu 04-03-2012 11:46 PM

Best lift for the YJs

I own a 1987 YJ and im ready for the lift lol what are the good and bad lifts? I am thinking about a 3.5 inch Suspension and .5 inch body

87YJnTX 04-04-2012 07:14 AM

cancel body lift........look into doing a spring over conversion. Its easy.......there is a lil welding involved, new shock mounts and spring perches i also did a 8.8 swap at the same time, i did not have to lengthen brake lines........not building mine for muddin or rock climbing either so.......it will get you 4 to 5 inches of lift.

87YJnTX 04-04-2012 07:15 AM

plenty of build threads on here you can look at

Beachcruiser 04-04-2012 10:49 AM

Tires size, daily driver status, presence of heavy accessories(winch/bumpers) & intended use play a big part in "best"...as does your budget.

Realistically figure out exactly how you want to use your rig & it will point you in the right direction.

What's best on a light daily driver w/ weekend trail trips is much different from a dedicated offroad rig w/ a bunch of heavy gear & harsh useage.

What are your goals, as far as the items in the first sentence are concerned?

Ianbeaulieu 04-04-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87YJnTX (Post 2217952)
cancel body lift........look into doing a spring over conversion. Its easy.......there is a lil welding involved, new shock mounts and spring perches i also did a 8.8 swap at the same time, i did not have to lengthen brake lines........not building mine for muddin or rock climbing either so.......it will get you 4 to 5 inches of lift.

What is that? is it where i get rid of the leaf springs for coils springs or?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcruiser (Post 2218526)
Tires size, daily driver status, presence of heavy accessories(winch/bumpers) & intended use play a big part in "best"...as does your budget.

Realistically figure out exactly how you want to use your rig & it will point you in the right direction.

What's best on a light daily driver w/ weekend trail trips is much different from a dedicated offroad rig w/ a bunch of heavy gear & harsh useage.

What are your goals, as far as the items in the first sentence are concerned?

It is My daily driver, and will most likely stay that way, I plan on doing more trailing and rock climbing than mudding, and like my friend has a rough counrty 2.5 inch suspension lift, and hes had it on for about 3 months and its starting to sag in the front

Ibuildembig 04-04-2012 12:44 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/95-y...tep-77184.html

Beachcruiser 04-04-2012 01:01 PM

For that use & running 33s (which will need a regear of your axles) the 'best' is probably BDS....no hassle lifetime warranty.

For smaller tires, many folks praise the Old Man Emu stuff. Very nice ride & tough, too.

DirtyRob 04-04-2012 08:23 PM

I wouldn't waste my time on a 1/2" body lift unless you plan on replaceing your body mount bolt or something like that. I have a 3" body lift, and there are some things to relocate that some may have trouble doing, If you want the easiest lift, get the 4" RoughCountry. They come with everything. I myself am having a hard time deciding between the Spring over axle, or the RoughCountry Spring under

Ianbeaulieu 04-04-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string (Post 2220341)
I wouldn't waste my time on a 1/2" body lift unless you plan on replaceing your body mount bolt or something like that. I have a 3" body lift, and there are some things to relocate that some may have trouble doing, If you want the easiest lift, get the 4" RoughCountry. They come with everything. I myself am having a hard time deciding between the Spring over axle, or the RoughCountry Spring under

I am thinking about getting a 4 inch Zone lift, My friend has a 3 inch rough country and hes had nothing but trouble with it, its starting to sag after 5 months

MYKIDS95YJ 04-05-2012 11:31 PM

check out our OME lift we got about 4" with the big bumpers, rides great

staud11 04-05-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu (Post 2221102)
I am thinking about getting a 4 inch Zone lift, My friend has a 3 inch rough country and hes had nothing but trouble with it, its starting to sag after 5 months

well the lift I have is the 2.5 suspension lift with the 1.25 bl rough country....for it being my first lift and me being in high school and not able to through money around..I really love it.....:)

Ianbeaulieu 04-06-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staud11 (Post 2225579)
well the lift I have is the 2.5 suspension lift with the 1.25 bl rough country....for it being my first lift and me being in high school and not able to through money around..I really love it.....:)

it did lift it really high lol are we still putting on the Leveling kit?

staud11 04-06-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu

it did lift it really high lol are we still putting on the Leveling kit?

Yea I'm putting those coil spacers to level it out till I can get a better lift