Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What axles to put with 35" tires? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-axles-to-put-with-35-tires-151159.html)

AUSTIN B 04-04-2012 01:58 AM

What axles to put with 35" tires?
 
I am new to jeeps and not very knowledgeable about axles and gears ... I recently bought a 04 wrangler x it is already lifted and has 35's on it but I keep reading that you should regear or swap axles with 35's ... Im thinking about just swapping axles...So my question is what would be the best axles to buy (front and rear) with lockers and where to buy them from?

RubiCobra 04-04-2012 11:01 AM

There are so many options here. Are you looking for something that is going to bolt right up?

denisbaldwin 04-04-2012 11:04 AM

If you're looking for a bolt on setup, bolt the Rubicon Axles to it. They should bolt right on.

Zombiekiller 04-04-2012 11:43 AM

before you dive into an axle swap or regear, make sure the axles and gears are stock. the PO could have already regeared or gotten new axles so you may want to check

MarkNog 04-04-2012 12:02 PM

If you are interested in stronger axles and not going to go bigger than 35s, i would go with a ford 8.8 or a dana 44.

You can check your local junkyard or eastcoastgearsupply.com which builds it the way you want it but it does come with a hefty pricetag.

Cons_Table 04-04-2012 12:14 PM

The popular swaps are the Ford 8.8 and the D44 for the rear. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The 8.8s are very abundant in junkyards, stronger than a D44, and pretty cheap. The downside is that they require fab skills to install unless you purchase it from ECGs or someone similar. The D44 out of other wranglers is typically a bolt in swap...the downside is that they are damn expensive from the junkyards (at least in my area) and they arent nearly as plentiful as the 8.8.

As far as front axles go, the stock axle is good up to 35s...and if necessary you can swap in chromoly shafts. Some people will swap in a HP30 in front because they are a little stronger than the stock D30. The only time it's really necessary to swap in a D44 up front is if you have to go with deeper gears than 4.88s. Some transmission/engine combos require a deeper gearing to put the jeep back into the stock powerband.

But as mentioned...before going to deep into this project, I would find out what your current set up is.

deucestudios 04-04-2012 02:44 PM

My opinion, just drive it.
If you've never gone 4 wheeling you might not even enjoy it, and that assumption might be wrong, just going off it's your first jeep. If a year or two from now, you've broken some axle shafts, find yourself going on trail rides every other weekend, and you have a good handle on what parts you have and might want, then consider that maybe your axles aren't up to par.
Don't just switch axles because the internet says 35s are going to break your 35. You go break it, then you'll know exactly what it takes. It's worth the same at the scrapyard broken or in 1 piece...

BTW. This sub-forum is "builder's corner" I'm pretty new to this site, but there might be better places to get the answer you're looking for?

Imped 04-04-2012 02:49 PM

A 44 and HP30 are a great set of axles for 35's. Modify them to your heart's content and don't worry about them.

AUSTIN B 04-04-2012 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses guys..
How can I tell if it has been re geared?
Whether it has been or hasn't I probably will roll with it till I break one (I just hope im not to far from home) lol .... I did some research and from what I seen i think I'll eventually put the ford 8.8 rear and Dana 44 front... Does that sound like a good combo? It will be like $9k for both but that's totally built with lockers and everything ... Ready to bolt on I believe...
Thanks again guys

Imped 04-04-2012 04:21 PM

The gear ratio is just telling you how many turns the pinion makes for every one ring gear turn. So 4.88 = 4.88 pinion rotations to 1 ring gear rotation. So jack up the tires off the ground, put the t-case in neutral and count how many rotations the drive shaft makes for one full tire rotation. That's your gear ratio.

AUSTIN B 04-04-2012 06:04 PM

Awesome !! Thanks...

AUSTIN B 05-08-2012 10:41 PM

UPDATE : one tire rotation equals almost 5 axle rotations... So I'm guessing I have 4:88 gears... How do I tell if my axles themselves are stock? And is there a way to tell if I have upgraded axle shafts without taking things apart... Sorry for the delay but I work 1100 miles from home and my jeep...and Thanks for everyone's help it is greatly appreciated!

distortedtj 05-08-2012 10:45 PM

Take pictures of the axles and post...we can tell you what they are.

Axle shafts....pull the wheel off and look at the end of the shaft. What does it say? Most all aftermarket shafts will be labeled with thier name on the end of the shaft.

AUSTIN B 05-09-2012 04:59 AM

Ok cool ... I'm at work now but I'll be home in a week or so and will post pics... Thank y'all so much this forum is awesome!

deucestudios 05-09-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSTIN B (Post 2349211)
UPDATE : one tire rotation equals almost 5 axle rotations... So I'm guessing I have 4:88 gears... How do I tell if my axles themselves are stock? And is there a way to tell if I have upgraded axle shafts without taking things apart... Sorry for the delay but I work 1100 miles from home and my jeep...and Thanks for everyone's help it is greatly appreciated!

Since you've just bought a lifted Jeep, it's pretty safe to say it's been used.
You probably want to change the fluid in the differentials.
It's really not hard to do, but a small hand pump ($7 at walmart) will make it worlds easier.
When you do, take the diff cover off. You will find out a lot more looking inside than guessing.
The ring gear itself will have numbers stamped on it, not sure what they are for 4.88 but 4.10 is 41-10 (ring gear count-pinion gear count)
When you do that, take a pic of the inside.

AUSTIN B 05-09-2012 12:13 PM

Will do!! Thanks

AUSTIN B 05-09-2012 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made my little brother go take pics of my axles.. Lol.... So here they are... What are they?

CMA_Rider 05-09-2012 01:30 PM

dana 30 front
dana 35 rear
if the PO didnt up grade the 35 to a super 35 (chromoly axle shafts) then you are sitting on a timebomb the 35 is notorious for breaking on stock wheels and tires

tcate23-WRANGLER 05-09-2012 01:33 PM

definitely a dana 30 front, stock.

EDIT: ^^^beat me to it.

C.L. 05-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider (Post 2351279)
dana 30 front
dana 35 rear
if the PO didnt up grade the 35 to a super 35 (chromoly axle shafts) then you are sitting on a timebomb the 35 is notorious for breaking on stock wheels and tires

ESPECIALLY if you really do have 4.88 gears. That puts a hell of alot of torque on a thin C-Clip axle. Take it easy on the skinny pedal until you find out what shafts are in there.

GoldenSahara00 05-09-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L. (Post 2351302)
ESPECIALLY if you really do have 4.88 gears. That puts a hell of alot of torque on a thin C-Clip axle. Take it easy on the skinny pedal until you find out what shafts are in there.


x2

at this point he would be good to put the super kit/shafts in and maybe a locker depending on his style of driving. Then he would be set to wheel with the 35s IMO. gears would be right, axles would be strong enough, and a rear locker would get him almost anywhere.

AUSTIN B 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

Ok so basically I need to check my shafts and if they aren't upgraded I should do so... Got it....

deucestudios 05-09-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSTIN B (Post 2351345)
Ok so basically I need to check my shafts and if they aren't upgraded I should do so... Got it....

"Need to" and "$300 d35 shafts" don't really go together in my opinion.
Especially down south where I bet you don't play in many rock gardens.
I don't see anything hangin off of that diff that would make me think it's locked, an open 35 is gonna last a bit longer than a locked one.

I still say take it out and beat it till it brakes and go from there.
But you might be the type of guy that likes throwin coin around, and hey, it's your jeep...

GoldenSahara00 05-09-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deucestudios

"Need to" and "$300 d35 shafts" don't really go together in my opinion.
Especially down south where I bet you don't play in many rock gardens.
I don't see anything hangin off of that diff that would make me think it's locked, an open 35 is gonna last a bit longer than a locked one.

I still say take it out and beat it till it brakes and go from there.
But you might be the type of guy that likes throwin coin around, and hey, it's your jeep...

Or maybe he's the kind of guy who likes having a vehicle to drive around, not one broke out in the woods? Better safe than sorry. I'd rather pay a little than not have a vehicle to go to work etc for a few days.

There are guys who break d35s on 31s. Unlocked. On road.

The op stated he wants a locked rig. So for pretty cheap he can throw an auto locker and shafts in there. If he doesn't want to upgrade shafts he should at least carry a set of spare shafts. In the end it's his jeep though.

deucestudios 05-09-2012 03:39 PM

I don't see a lunchbox and shafts being pretty cheap, and, end of the day it's still a 35.
I also wouldn't tell anyone new to Jeeps that they should put a lunchbox in the rear, when they're probably gonna use it on the road mostly.
Again, that's just my opinion though.

GoldenSahara00 05-09-2012 03:43 PM

Compared to the 9k he mentioned spending earlier? :rofl:

Modding isn't cheap. If he doesn't plan on wheeling then he won't need a locked 88/ locked 44 front either. I'm saying if he does want to wheel a bit the cheapest thing he could do, while still being safe for his axles, is what I said.

AUSTIN B 05-09-2012 05:49 PM

Well I'm the kind of guy that would rather not break down and have to tow my jeep home or fix it in the woods.. I have 2 vehicles but my truck stays in west virginia for work and my jeep is in Louisiana at home..( I fly back and forth ) so both are kind of daily drivers .... So basically my plan is If the shafts are upgraded I'll leave it alone but if not should I change shafts and put money into the 35 or just do a rear axle swap all together?

LilYeller 05-09-2012 06:17 PM

I just went through this with my rig, 2000 sport with 35's on it. I needed to regear since it has 3.07 stock and figured my d35 wouldnt handle the 4.56's very long since I love my skinny pedal lol. I ended up going with a 31 spline 8.8 rear with posi out of an explorer, it also upgrades you to rear disc brakes. Cant beat it IMHO. The d30 should be ok with 35's and if I break something then shafts arent too expensive to upgrade.

AUSTIN B 05-09-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilYeller
I just went through this with my rig, 2000 sport with 35's on it. I needed to regear since it has 3.07 stock and figured my d35 wouldnt handle the 4.56's very long since I love my skinny pedal lol. I ended up going with a 31 spline 8.8 rear with posi out of an explorer, it also upgrades you to rear disc brakes. Cant beat it IMHO. The d30 should be ok with 35's and if I break something then shafts arent too expensive to upgrade.

Ok I've been thinking about the 8.8 but isn't it shorter? Does it matter? I've been looking at some on ecgs and they run about $4,500 with lockers chromolly shafts and everything ( this price everything new and ready to bolt in to a tj ) it says on the site that they are factory width but idk if it's ford factory width or jeep width... Money isn't a problem ... Sorry for all the crazy kindergarten questions but I want to do it right the first time...

GoldenSahara00 05-09-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSTIN B

Ok I've been thinking about the 8.8 but isn't it shorter? Does it matter? I've been looking at some on ecgs and they run about $4,500 with lockers chromolly shafts and everything ( this price everything new and ready to bolt in to a tj ) it says on the site that they are factory width but idk if it's ford factory width or jeep width... Money isn't a problem ... Sorry for all the crazy kindergarten questions but I want to do it right the first time...

They are like .75 inch shorter per side. Not enough to matter. It is a great upgrade. If money is no object then I would get an 8.8. If you want to keep costs down I could do the shafts since your already regeared


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.