Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Looking for a different third row seat option (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/looking-for-a-different-third-row-seat-option-151166.html)

CRNA 04-04-2012 04:34 AM

Looking for a different third row seat option

Please....no safety stuff here, I've read it all.

I am looking to add a third row seat to my 2011 JKU. I have 6 boys 9 years old and under and am in need of additional seating. But, I don't want to spend the amount of money the Littlepassenger seats cost.

Also, by the time you buy a 2011 rear seat from a 2 dr and add the cost of the Teraflex brackets, you're over $500 anyway.

What I am wanting to know is: has anyone tried to fit an aftermarket rear seat from say an older CJ for this purpose? I have looked at the Corbeau, Bestop, Smittybilt models. The narrow CJ ones I think will fit, even with the stock subwoofer. However I am worried about the rear bracket on the flip and fold models being right over the rear storage cover (I want the seat to be forward facing).

Anyone have any additional thoughts/ideas or done this before? I really would like to have the flip and fold option for the storage when the seat is not being used.

OH9JK 04-04-2012 07:31 AM

If you have the ability to cut, drill and fabricate then anything is possible. If you are looking for an off the shelf solution then the products you already mentioned are your choices.

paulwgreg 06-20-2012 01:05 PM

2011 - Jk Third Row seat

Hello,
I have a 2011 4DR jeep wrangler. I used a bench seat from a 2003-2004 jeep two door. I got the OEM seat and floor brackets from a e-bay from a place in Texas. I just search Jeep OEM seats. I put the seat in as well as seat belts over the storage compartment. In order to get the storage compartment back together, I will have to do some cutting for seat belts. The seat cost me $600 with brackets, seat & shipping to PA. My friend and I installed in by bolting it through the floor. The front is really tight if you bolt it. I did not like using the nutserts. The top metal just did not seem sturdy enough for my liking. The seat is face forward facing and is removable. The one item I over looked was with the soft top down the frame sits on top of the seat. My 9 and 6 yr old can still sit without there heads hitting. I should have moved the seat another inch forward. Other consideration is I am going to add a center add-in roll tom). Still working on fabrication.
Paul

CRNA 06-21-2012 04:29 AM

Pics please

Saintjeep 06-21-2012 10:32 AM

Good luck with your install from a fellow gas passer.

1manWolfpack 06-21-2012 01:08 PM

Here is a thread from another site (mods I assume it's okay to link?) that has photos.

Third row seating for the JK

Not sure how I feel about this one. There is a reason my wife has an suv that can seat 8 (although the 3rd row currently belongs to our labs to keep them from licking the little one going down the road :thumb:)

2012-Rubicon 06-21-2012 01:34 PM

Good luck hope you find something cheap enough for your liking

BlackOpsJeep 06-21-2012 10:25 PM

I bought a rear seat from a 2DR 2011 JK because it matched my interior and fit perfect. However, the space between the 2nd and third row is best suited for those with smaller feet. I removed the headrests also from those. The seat cost me $80. Now I'm just looking for seat belts and a local welder to make the brackets unless anyone here knows where I can get some already made. It's really just solid steel "D-rings" welded upside down so the seat will latch in. I don't need to weld in the others to make it tumble since that isn't anything that will happen given space in that area. I can just remove the seat or fold it down though. Like paulwgreg says, I am going to add a welded roll bar to protect those in that seat too. I will post pix as I get this done.

CRNA 06-22-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintjeep (Post 2498314)
Good luck with your install from a fellow gas passer.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

BlackOpsJeep 06-23-2012 12:12 AM

So I got lined up with a welder today for Monday. I will post pics and a write up about the install shortly after. He is quoting me $55/hr and averaing about 3 hrs for the work. Awesome.

wizzle 06-05-2013 07:33 AM

Late reply, but would love to see follow up pics. I'm in a similar situation and doing my research now.

it_felt_so_good 07-14-2013 03:42 AM

Installed mine today:

http://imgur.com/NOGQKy6.jpg

2013 JKU. Rear seat from a 2010 JK w/Teraflex's third row brackets. Didn't use their nutserts. Just used Grade 8 bolts, lock washers, flat washers, & nuts then I went crazy with the silicone.

Took like 6 - 7 hours by myself so it wasn't that bad. I'm so glad I can cross this mod off my to-do list, :D.