Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Front Driveshaft Rubbing Skid Plate (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/front-driveshaft-rubbing-skid-plate-151229.html)

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 12:45 PM

Front Driveshaft Rubbing Skid Plate

My Front DS Rubs on the Skid Plate with very Little Flex at all. If I make a Left Turn Sharp enough, it'll Rub.

Can I just take the Skid Plate Off, Permanently, or does it act as a Support like the Plate for the Trans?

I don't Wheel Hard at all, On-Road and Beach Driving only. But with a little Flex, like I said, it Rubs.

91badass 04-04-2012 01:39 PM

cut a notch in it.

91badass 04-04-2012 01:40 PM

and ya it holds the transfercase up.

schnutzy 04-04-2012 02:03 PM

perhaps it would be a good idea to find out what is causing the driveshaft to rub so often on the skid plate before you go and cut out a notch in your skid...

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnutzy (Post 2219314)
perhaps it would be a good idea to find out what is causing the driveshaft to rub so often on the skid plate before you go and cut out a notch in your skid...

It's Lifted 3" and the Driveshaft is on too much of an Angle.

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91badass (Post 2219227)
and ya it holds the transfercase up.

It's not Hitting that Skid, it's Hitting the one Infront of it.

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 02:52 PM

Supposedly this Skid is only on Automatic Jeeps. The Manuals don't have it.

So that would Lead me to Believe it is ONLY a Skid Plate, and not a Support Plate as well.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-04-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duramaxxed (Post 2219034)
My Front DS Rubs on the Skid Plate with very Little Flex at all. If I make a Left Turn Sharp enough, it'll Rub.

Can I just take the Skid Plate Off, Permanently, or does it act as a Support like the Plate for the Trans?

I don't Wheel Hard at all, On-Road and Beach Driving only. But with a little Flex, like I said, it Rubs.

the front skid only came on autos. It must be removed when a lift is installed because the driveshaft obviously hits it.

Replace it with an aftermarket full length engine skid, like UnderCoverFab.

www.undercoverfab.com

Alternatively, some people cut off the drivers side of the skid mounting arm...but this leaves the skid pretty much weak for support. If you did hit it hard enough, it will bend into the tranny pan, destroying the pan.

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 2219548)
the front skid only came on autos. It must be removed when a lift is installed because the driveshaft obviously hits it.

Replace it with an aftermarket full length engine skid, like UnderCoverFab.

www.undercoverfab.com

Alternatively, some people cut off the drivers side of the skid mounting arm...but this leaves the skid pretty much weak for support. If you did hit it hard enough, it will bend into the tranny pan, destroying the pan.

Yep, I just took it off.

It'll stay Off until I can get a Good Aftermarket Skid. :thumb:

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 04:24 PM

I'm running 3+ inches of lift and don't rub on mine, I have light brushed it a handful of times when full drooped on drivers front but. Not enough to worry. I wonder why yours rubs so much.

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 2219711)
I'm running 3+ inches of lift and don't rub on mine, I have light brushed it a handful of times when full drooped on drivers front but. Not enough to worry. I wonder why yours rubs so much.

I dunno? I got a nice Shiny Ring around the Driveshaft right where it Rubs. It's not a Gash or Deep at all, just a Fresh Rub Spot.

It really Surprised me Today when I Scraped just making a Left Turn and giving it Gas. Sounded like my Trans was Grinding Gears.

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 04:41 PM

Are you running stock control arms. And is this a Tj or LJ?

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 2219769)

Stock Control Arms and it's a TJ.

jrussblues 04-04-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00

Tj/lj makes no difference. They are the same from the front bumper to the rear transfer case yoke.

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues

Tj/lj makes no difference. They are the same from the front bumper to the rear transfer case yoke.

Yes and no. They are the same but spring rates and a few other things are different including overall length that could account for a change in weight distribution due to the wheel base. I'm trying to find every difference between him and me and then figure out what difference is the cause. You can't just assume right off the bat that something doesn't matter because it appears so on the surface.

I was thinking if it's an LJ and it's sagging more in the rear than a Tj would because it's longer then the angle of the body would be up, meaning the angle of the front driveshaft would be larger in relation to the body and due to that, the skid plate.

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duramaxxed

Stock Control Arms and it's a TJ.

And axle is centered front to back and side to side as it should be. No bends in control arms.

jrussblues 04-04-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00

Yes and no. They are the same but spring rates and a few other things are different including overall length that could account for a change in weight distribution due to the wheel base. I'm trying to find every difference between him and me and then figure out what difference is the cause. You can't just assume right off the bat that something doesn't matter because it appears so on the surface.

I was thinking if it's an LJ and it's sagging more in the rear than a Tj would because it's longer then the angle of the body would be up, meaning the angle of the front driveshaft would be larger in relation to the body and due to that, the skid plate.

I gotcha, the problem is that the skid design changed in 03 to accommodate the rubicon 241 and air pump. They new design becomes problematic over 2" of lift. There are a couple of companies that make a skid that will mount right up to the factory design. I'm just trying to keep the op from getting confused and I didn't want to repeat some of the stuff said before. Not meant to be short, just trying to help.

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

I gotcha, the problem is that the skid design changed in 03 to accommodate the rubicon 241 and air pump. They new design becomes problematic over 2" of lift. There are a couple of companies that make a skid that will mount right up to the factory design. I'm just trying to keep the op from getting confused and I didn't want to repeat some of the stuff said before. Not meant to be short, just trying to help.

Alright. I didn't know about the redesign because it hadn't been mentioned and I didn't remember seeing the year of the jeep either. I had no way of knowing if it was an older Tj or a newer Tj or LJ.

jrussblues 04-04-2012 05:31 PM

Yeah, I looked at his profile. 05'. There are a bunch of nick knacky (expensive to address) changes through the 03-06 years.

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I looked at his profile. 05'. There are a bunch of nick knacky (expensive to address) changes through the 03-06 years.

Look at you goin the extra mile :thumb: :rofl:
so i have heard, which is why I'm glad I have a 00.

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 2219844)
And axle is centered front to back and side to side as it should be. No bends in control arms.

Yep, everything is Straight / Centered and not Bent.

darkproximity 04-04-2012 06:02 PM

Could look into getting a high pinion d30 from an xj, bolts right in.. They're 97 bucks at the junk yards here.. Just get a matching gear ratio. Not only are you solving your problem you're also getting a stronger axle

GoldenSahara00 04-04-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duramaxxed

Yep, everything is Straight / Centered and not Bent.

Apparently they changed the skids in 03 and that's why yours did it. Sorry man. Thank jruss. And dark had a good suggestion.

Duramaxxed 04-04-2012 06:22 PM

It's all Good. The Problem is Fixed now, and you Learn as you Go. :)

LJMJ 04-16-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duramaxxed (Post 2220108)
It's all Good. The Problem is Fixed now, and you Learn as you Go. :)

I just discovered that my 06 LJ front drive shaft is rubbing the skid plate (2-1/2" lift) at full drop.
What was your solution?

Duramaxxed 04-16-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJMJ (Post 2266698)
I just discovered that my 06 LJ front drive shaft is rubbing the skid plate (2-1/2" lift) at full drop.
What was your solution?

I Removed the Skid Plate for the Transmission.

I have an Auto 42RLE. It's only a Skid Plate, not a Support, so for me, it's not an Issue to Drive without it since my Jeep is Used for On-Road & Beach Driving only. Not too many things I need to Worry about Smashing the Trans Pan.

But if you Wheel your Jeep Off-Road, I would def. try to Find a Skid Plate that Works with Lifted Jeeps with an Auto Transmission.

LJMJ 04-16-2012 07:45 PM

Thanks, I definitely want to keep a skid (it's an auto, and I do go wheeling occasionally). I've put some replacement skids on my "list" (it just seems to get longer everyday :) ).
For the time being, I'm working on a design to cut and reinforce the stock one.

jeepers29 05-13-2013 09:24 AM

Hey y'all, just finished a 4 in currie lift on my 98 TJ w/ manual trans. My front driveshaft only has 2 inches of clearance sitting on level ground, so will be rubbing big time at droop. Has anyone else had this issue and did you notch the trans skid? If so, how much? Does notching the shod weaken it enough to be worried? Thanks!

jeepers29 05-14-2013 07:49 AM

Anyone had this issue?

LJMJ 05-14-2013 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To my knowledge, the '98 w/manual trans didn't have a skid plate under the trans just the transfer case skid/support, which won't really affect your front drive shaft at all. Do you have an after-market skid on there? Maybe a pic. of it would help.
On my LJ w/auto trans, I cut off the left front support (where it went under the drive shaft) and welded in a loop up over the top of it. Not quite as strong as the original, but I have balance the weight of the Jeep on it and it didn't crush into my trans pan.