Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Re-gearing Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/re-gearing-question-151485.html)

ROzynskiA1 04-05-2012 12:32 PM

Re-gearing Question

Hey All,

Quick question : So i have a 4.0L 6-spd TJ and just recently have putt 33's on it. What gearing should i go to?

the great moo 04-05-2012 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You will be fine on the stock gears if you want. The D44 in the rear can handle a 33 but no larger. Decide your gearing by its application what do you do mud sand snow rock so forth? All this and if it is a daily driver will determine what gear set is best for you. I have an 06tj on 33 with an ARB in the rear and do rock crawling. The jeep is a daily driver for at least 80 mile round trips. For me I run stock.

Mo Kirkwood 04-05-2012 01:25 PM

I have a "05" TJ and did a 4" lift on it last summer. I also put 33s on it. Right now it is geared with 3.73s. I asked my local 4WD center about regearing it. They told me to regear to 4.56s for the 33s but if I was planning to put 35s on it go with 4.88s. This should give me plenty of power to do just about anything with my Jeep. Right now with the 3.73s I have no power to pull hills and my fuel milage went down. I have an automatic tranny and drive it with the overdrive off. Of coarse in low range I do OK. Right now I'm lucky to get 15 MPG with it. I was getting more like 18 and I did see 20 once a freeway trip with the stock tires. My TJ also has a Dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear which I plan to change out to Dana 44s both front and rear and regear to 4.88s with lockers. I guess the question is, just about how much money do you want to spend. Have fun.:thumb:

TnDz TJ 04-05-2012 02:39 PM

I went from 3.07's to 4.56's on 33's.... HUGE improvement.... 4.0 5-speed

jeepdude2003 04-05-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Kirkwood
I have a "05" TJ and did a 4" lift on it last summer. I also put 33s on it. Right now it is geared with 3.73s. I asked my local 4WD center about regearing it. They told me to regear to 4.56s for the 33s but if I was planning to put 35s on it go with 4.88s. This should give me plenty of power to do just about anything with my Jeep. Right now with the 3.73s I have no power to pull hills and my fuel milage went down. I have an automatic tranny and drive it with the overdrive off. Of coarse in low range I do OK. Right now I'm lucky to get 15 MPG with it. I was getting more like 18 and I did see 20 once a freeway trip with the stock tires. My TJ also has a Dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear which I plan to change out to Dana 44s both front and rear and regear to 4.88s with lockers. I guess the question is, just about how much money do you want to spend. Have fun.:thumb:

Did you change your speedo gear? That will throw your estimated gas mileage off because your not compensating for the extra tire travel

TnDz TJ 04-05-2012 02:57 PM

I'm picking my 39 tooth speedo gear today.... after the 4.56's and 33's.... lol 65mph on the speedo is 46mph actually ( GPS tracked)

Shop around.... I found some shops RAPE you for like $90 and I got mine from a Driveline Specialty shop for $22....

Here is a link with a chart for speedo gears.....

http://www.higherground4x4.com/Tech_...meter_gear.htm

Lbailey21 04-05-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the great moo
You will be fine on the stock gears if you want. The D44 in the rear can handle a 33 but no larger. Decide your gearing by its application what do you do mud sand snow rock so forth? All this and if it is a daily driver will determine what gear set is best for you. I have an 06tj on 33 with an ARB in the rear and do rock crawling. The jeep is a daily driver for at least 80 mile round trips. For me I run stock.

A D44 is defiantly okay for 35s. now a D35 can't go bigger then 33s.

InvertChaos 04-05-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROzynskiA1
Hey All,

Quick question : So i have a 4.0L 6-spd TJ and just recently have putt 33's on it. What gearing should i go to?

You'll want 4.56 if you plan on staying with 33s

ROzynskiA1 04-06-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the great moo (Post 2223370)

My Jeep will mostly be used for trail riding and for use in the snow. It will also be used somewhat of a daily driver also (when i'm not on my motorcycle).

Did you notice any loss of power or acceleration when you went to your 33's?

Mo Kirkwood 04-06-2012 12:10 PM

You were asking if I changed the speedo gear? No, but I do a 10% add for the bigger tires. If my speedo says 50 I am doing 55.There was one of those speed check boxes the highway patrol puts out to check how fast you're going and I used it to do the math. Every 100 miles on the odometer I add 10 miles when I do my gas milage. I see a gear change in my future. I want to take the drag off the axles in high range. I'm starting to hear a howl in the rear axle since I change to bigger tire too. I only have 57,000 miles on it. I do a lot of low range driving too and the lower gears should make things better all around. (I hope.)

the great moo 04-06-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROzynskiA1

My Jeep will mostly be used for trail riding and for use in the snow. It will also be used somewhat of a daily driver also (when i'm not on my motorcycle).

Did you notice any loss of power or acceleration when you went to your 33's?

I didn't see a power loss but it did throw off the speedo but just like the previous post just add 5 mph to your speed. Find the correct speedo gear though (i think the black one?) The tires will throw off your odomiter too. I found for every mile I drive I need to add 1.75 miles to the odomitor. I have to be honest I don't know if regearing will correct this issue. I'm happy with the gears I have. They may not be stock though. I think I'm running 3:88s