Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Fold and tumble front seat? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/fold-and-tumble-front-seat-151585.html)

mjbuck 04-05-2012 08:24 PM

Fold and tumble front seat?
 
I'm looking for a security / storage box for my Wrangler. I like the Bestop Underseat Storage Box... just what I need. It says it will not work with a fold and tumble front seat. I guess "fold and tumble" is pretty self explanatory, but to make sure. My seat has a lever on the lower left to adjust the back of the seat vertically. It has a bar under the front part of the seat which allows you to slide backward or forward. There are no other levers and my seat doesn't fold and tumble, so I guess it's not a fold and tumble seat, no? I want to be sure before I order this item because I don't want to pay return shipping.

Jeeplover1 04-05-2012 08:43 PM

does it have a lever on the back of the seat? just beacuse it doesnt tumble doesnt mean it shouldnt. one of mine has a cable broke and wont allow it to tumble. look under your seat and see if there is a lever around the middle closest to the middle of the seat and near the door

RSelf 04-05-2012 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just installed the Bestop unit in my '03 TJ. It didn't work right out of the box. I used a vise and adjustable wrench to gently alter the mounting tabs. The slightest changed allowed the box to work without binding the seat adjustment hardware. Coincidently, I installed a set of seat risers today. The seat risers were in relation to my recent off road adventures. However, they would also guarantee proper fit of a Bestop unit, in regards to lock boxes.

Attachment 111345

Jeeplover1 04-05-2012 08:53 PM

what did that cost you

RSelf 04-05-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 2225063)
what did that cost you

$54.99 through Quadratec.

Bestop 42641-01 - Bestop® Locking Under Seat Storage Box in Textured Black for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

50Johnbob 04-05-2012 09:45 PM

I can't say for sure about your '04 Rubi, but I would be surprised if a Rubicon didn't come with the fold & tumble option. My '01 Sport did. This is what they look like when folded & tumbled.

Jason1348 04-05-2012 09:48 PM

My 03 Rubicon only fold tumble on pass side

50Johnbob 04-05-2012 09:51 PM

And this is the strap that you pull to make it happen.

50Johnbob 04-05-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1348 (Post 2225343)
My 03 Rubicon only fold tumble on pass side

That's what I thought about mine at first, because the strap on my drivers seat only makes the seat fold forward. Then I found out that each seat has a lever underneath that will make it happen. Reach under & find it & push it down. Under the seat near the middle, not on the door side but close to the console side.

mjbuck 04-05-2012 10:10 PM

You guys are great. Thanks for the time to respond, especially those of you that took the time to post pictures. You truly lover your Jeeps.

LiftedTj 04-06-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50Johnbob (Post 2225400)
That's what I thought about mine at first, because the strap on my drivers seat only makes the seat fold forward. Then I found out that each seat has a lever underneath that will make it happen. Reach under & find it & push it down. Under the seat near the middle, not on the door side but close to the console side.

X2 took a little while to find it. But its there, it should be black and righ next to the seat mounting bracket.

Jeeplover1 04-06-2012 05:35 AM

ya your cable is broke like mine

carveric 08-13-2012 07:39 PM

Underseat spacers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSelf (Post 2225047)
I just installed the Bestop unit in my '03 TJ. It didn't work right out of the box. I used a vise and adjustable wrench to gently alter the mounting tabs. The slightest changed allowed the box to work without binding the seat adjustment hardware. Coincidently, I installed a set of seat risers today. The seat risers were in relation to my recent off road adventures. However, they would also guarantee proper fit of a Bestop unit, in regards to lock boxes.

Attachment 111345

Where did you get those spacers and what are they made out of?

cphilip 08-13-2012 09:46 PM

I think this changed in 03... or for sure by 04. The strap is no more and was replaced by a Plastic lever. And the Tumble feature is only on the Passengers side. Also I note the loss of one seat pocket back there behind the drivers side too. At least in my Sahara there is only one. And in 02 there was one behind both seats.

Neil F. 08-13-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cphilip (Post 2682409)
I think this changed in 03... or for sure by 04. The strap is no more and was replaced by a Plastic lever. And the Tumble feature is only on the Passengers side. Also I note the loss of one seat pocket back there behind the drivers side too. At least in my Sahara there is only one. And in 02 there was one behind both seats.


Yes the strap changed with the higher back seat 03-06.

Drivers side fold and tumble is still a talked about subject and what package it came with but some models do have it past 03 on the drivers side.

There are no seat pockes on my 03

thrill23 08-13-2012 10:22 PM

Nice job on the lock box.

cphilip 08-14-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 2682511)
Yes the strap changed with the higher back seat 03-06.

Drivers side fold and tumble is still a talked about subject and what package it came with but some models do have it past 03 on the drivers side.

There are no seat pockes on my 03

Interesting. My 04 Sahara doesn't have it. Nor does it have a pocket on the Drivers side. Does have one pocket on the fold and tumble passengers side.

Rolf 08-14-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cphilip (Post 2683208)
Interesting. My 04 Sahara doesn't have it. Nor does it have a pocket on the Drivers side. Does have one pocket on the fold and tumble passengers side.

I have an '03 Sahara with fold and tumble on both seats (plastic lever on side, not strap) and pocket only on drivers side. Mine is right hand drive so that probably makes sense - after '03 only pocket on right front seat.

The fold and tumble on both seats was an option and is listed on your build sheet.

homebrwd 08-14-2012 08:02 AM

Look at the mounting bracket setups for both your seats, if they are the same then the driver seat fold and tumbles, if they are different then the driver seat only slides and folds. My 04 X is slide and fold on the driver side. You can can also check to see if you can see the rear mounting bolts, on the fold and tumble seats they have a spring loaded plastic cover on them, on the non F&T seats you can see them plain as day.

Argonaut 08-14-2012 09:33 AM

My '05 LJ has both Driver and Passenger F&T seats.

Ashsworld 08-14-2012 09:46 AM

My '06 has only passenger side F&T. (06, 4.0L, manual, Sport).

tflickner 01-12-2013 08:18 PM

My 06 x has driver side fold and tumble feature. Black plastic release lever on side of seat back. However it's not working now. Trying to figure out why

dylan1991 01-12-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashsworld (Post 2683640)
My '06 has only passenger side F&T. (06, 4.0L, manual, Sport).


My '06 has passenger and driver fold and tumble. 4.0L, Auto, SE.

Seems like they just randomly picked Jeeps and said, "yep lets put them on that one."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.