Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Pre-Purchase Opinions on undercarrage rust (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/pre-purchase-opinions-on-undercarrage-rust-151644.html)

BrianJC 04-06-2012 01:23 AM

Pre-Purchase Opinions on undercarrage rust

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings all! Newbe here but have been reading the site for a while. I'm in the hunt for my next Jeep (had a YJ a number of years ago) and am looking at a TJ.

I'm asking for your experienced comments on the condition shown in the next few pics. Is the rust seen something that is worth worrying about? Correctable? If correctable, any pointers?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!!

BrianJC 04-06-2012 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more picture:

Jeeplover1 04-06-2012 01:39 AM

First off welcome to the JEEP addiction.. Second i dont think its that bad need to get it cleaned up and coated with something like rustolium bedliner or undercoating..

yoopone 04-06-2012 06:18 AM

Welcome X2. The underside looks real clean. Surface rust in small spots on your frame. Wire brush, sand and recoat with a good rust converter/ paint and you will be in great shape. Takes a little elbow grease, but that is just a part of the "Pride of Ownership" of a Jeep. I used POR15 on my entire frame, but it was significantly worse that yours. Good luck and have fun!

dabolt55 04-06-2012 06:25 AM

Looks like normal surface rust, nothing on frame to body rust. Like above said, brush off and undercoat spray you'll be fine. And Welcome...:wavey:

BrianJC 04-06-2012 10:56 AM

Wow!! Thanks for the welcome notes!!

I very much appreciate your inputs and hope one day to be able to contribute back to the group!

Your inputs are encouraging on this. I have another concern on this particular jeep - the jeep was reportedly in an accident that resulted in "structural damage". The frame however looks good according to my friend who has previewed it for me (I travel and am out of state currently) and holds a line at 45mph or so (riding on bfg 32") so mo apparent frame bend.

The rust inputs help a lot!

Blackpony04 04-06-2012 02:41 PM

HA! You call THAT rust!!! You could eat off that. Wire brush and coat it and then remember the rest of us living in the Rust Belt that are jealous of your good fortune.

I have to add that I was behind a JK just yesterday and the exposed sections of their undercarriage was completely coated in surface rust and this was on a less than 5 year old Jeep.

I think undercarriage Rust is a factory option!

fourty4magjr 04-06-2012 02:56 PM

Oh man I wish mine was that clean/ rust free. The frame you have there is clean as can be and as for the other stuff it's not bad at all!

bittercritter 04-06-2012 02:56 PM

I had a buddy check out a jeep for me, he said go for it so I gave him the money and bought it sight unseen. Turns out it had a R title do to a collision. I could care less everything is good and it drives staight as an arrow. Haven't had any problems at all

wilrokon 04-06-2012 07:52 PM

Wow, you should see the rust on the 04 tj I just bought....you have nothing to worry about.

Blueliner 04-06-2012 10:06 PM

looks very clean. I just installed some nerf bars for this guy I met on craigs list and I could literally poke my finger through certin spots on his frame....A 98 btw. I told him..." Buddy I get that frame looked at before I worried about these nerf bars"

dmblair 04-06-2012 10:48 PM

Yeah, that looks great. I don't think I've ever seen a drive shaft or exhaust pipe without a little bit of rust. Lookin good!!!!! Wish mine looked that clean!

BrianJC 04-12-2012 10:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Folks - Thanks very much for your inputs! They were part of the information I used to complete a purchase today from a dealer a couple of states away. Here are a couple of pictures - I am so psyched!!

My new Jeep is a 2002 Sport hard top, 6cyl manual with D44 rear, 2" lift, 5 x 32" BFG's and Mickey Thompson wheels.

dmblair 04-13-2012 05:08 AM

Wow, Congrats, she looks awesome!

Muddeprived 04-13-2012 08:34 AM

Holy damn that is one clean jeep. No wait, it's got a ton of rust underneath it. Take it back asap then pm the info where it's at........:D

BrianJC 04-13-2012 01:03 PM

Thanks! Been looking for a while. Great to be a part of the 'family'!!

Looking forward to some upgrades and personal touches in the near future.

Summer time in Virginia beach with the top off (the jeep, though the wife may join in too!) will be great!