Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Plasti dip question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/plasti-dip-question-151692.html)

they call me nasty 04-06-2012 09:45 AM

Plasti dip question

How durable is it after it dries?
it seems to be fairly easy to peel off so would it be easy to scratch and stuff?

Kevbz 04-06-2012 09:50 AM

I used it on my Hurst shifter handle and my hella light covers.

The shifter started to peel in a week from my hand.

The hella's are wearing from road grime, not as bad, but wearing none the less. Cool idea IMO, just not practical to have to touch up constantly though.

they call me nasty 04-06-2012 10:09 AM

That sucks
So would you recommend it for my grille and hood and mirrors etc.?

bcpaddler 04-06-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by they call me nasty (Post 2226794)
That sucks
So would you recommend it for my grille and hood and mirrors etc.?

I put plastidip on my polished alum. wheels, and it's held up just fine. I wheel just about every weekend and even with a few bumps and scratches, they're holding up fine...

For the grille, hood and mirrors - I would recommend the Rust Oluem truck bed liner. I put it on my mirrors, flares, light bezel's, and a few other things - holds up great, and is easy to apply.

Good luck - post pics when you're done.:wavey:

they call me nasty 04-06-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpaddler

I put plastidip on my polished alum. wheels, and it's held up just fine. I wheel just about every weekend and even with a few bumps and scratches, they're holding up fine...

For the grille, hood and mirrors - I would recommend the Rust Oluem truck bed liner. I put it on my mirrors, flares, light bezel's, and a few other things - holds up great, and is easy to apply.

Good luck - post pics when you're done.:wavey:

Ok sweet
I've been debating between the rustoleum and the plasti dip
I'll post pics as soon as I get everything finished

2003x 04-06-2012 10:09 PM

I did my grill, 1/2 fenders, head light rings, guards, trail rated badges and it has come out better then I expected. I highly recommend Plast Dip. All this with one can and multiple coats on each piece, 8 alone on the grill. The thicker I sprayed it, the tougher it got I feel. I am doing my flares, rims, mirrors when the weather breaks. The one tip I can give you is do not let it fully dry with the tape on. It will pull the plasti dip off with it when you peel the tape off. After your last coat and you know your done, pull the masking tape off for a clean edge. If it does start to stick to the tape, just take a blade and score along it.
More pics here (pages 55/56)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...8/index55.html
http://cdn.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...d-img_1347.jpghttp://cdn.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...d-img_1346.jpg

mrpowerz13 04-07-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003x
I did my grill, 1/2 fenders, head light rings, guards, trail rated badges and it has come out better then I expected. I highly recommend Plast Dip. All this with one can and multiple coats on each piece, 8 alone on the grill. The thicker I sprayed it, the tougher it got I feel. I am doing my flares, rims, mirrors when the weather breaks. The one tip I can give you is do not let it fully dry with the tape on. It will pull the plasti dip off with it when you peel the tape off. After your last coat and you know your done, pull the masking tape off for a clean edge. If it does start to stick to the tape, just take a blade and score along it.
More pics here (pages 55/56)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...8/index55.html

Does the front grill come completely off, or did you spray it while it was still on your rig?

Jerry Bransford 04-07-2012 11:41 AM

While I use Plasti-Dip on my tool handles, I don't get why anyone would want to use it on their Jeep. I sure wouldn't myself.

2003x 04-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpowerz13

Does the front grill come completely off, or did you spray it while it was still on your rig?

I did it while it was still on. No over spray.

s14sh3r 04-07-2012 01:38 PM

Every time I see a plasti dipped trail rated badge, I'm reminded of Oreos. :D

Jerry Bransford 04-07-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 2230685)

My Trail Rated badge was gone the day I got the Jeep home.

Blackpony04 04-07-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 2230685)

Funny, they remind me of the bottom side of Fudge Stripe cookies! :thumb:

I think the one appeal of Plasti-Dip is the ability to peel it off if you don't like it but I'd much rather use Rusto Bedliner for durability purposes alone.

2003x 04-07-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 2230816)
Funny, they remind me of the bottom side of Fudge Stripe cookies! :thumb:

I think the one appeal of Plasti-Dip is the ability to peel it off if you don't like it but I'd much rather use Rusto Bedliner for durability purposes alone.

I like the ability of being able to peel it off if I didn't like it.

they call me nasty 04-07-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003x

I like the ability of being able to peel it off if I didn't like it.

Could I use plasti dip to see if I like how it looks then just put rustoleum on

Breezy58 04-09-2012 12:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by they call me nasty (Post 2231595)

I hope someone answers this because I like the idea of putting the Plasti dip on my wheels and if I don't like it peel it off. I have stock wheels that I think would look better black. The only thing I have used the Plasti dip on is my head light bezels. I put Rustoleum bed liner on my side view mirrors they came out really good.
Date of my pic is in the future ......gotta fix that...LOL

99 TJ DK Green (Gator):wavey:
009.jpgIMG_1171.jpg

3025826 04-09-2012 10:30 AM

What is anyone's thoughts on plasti-dipping my coil springs? They have a few chips and I dont like their Greyish blue color. Do you think it would hold up and be able to handle flexing a little, or should I try to look for something else?

2003x 04-09-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by they call me nasty (Post 2231595)

That I don't know. Its got a texture to it so you may be able to.

Robin in VA 04-09-2012 01:14 PM

I've wondered about plasti dip because I see where people have use it often on here... so does it cover like spray paint, but peel off easily? nothing special required to take it off?

they call me nasty 04-09-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin in VA
I've wondered about plasti dip because I see where people have use it often on here... so does it cover like spray paint, but peel off easily? nothing special required to take it off?

supposedly it just peels right off with no problem
I've never used it myself but have seen and heard many examples

Robin in VA 04-09-2012 01:46 PM

I'd just be so scared to paint my m/t wheels.... :/

Bsbillings 04-09-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by they call me nasty

When I bought my wrangler, the previous owner had used the bed-liner to do the flares. I believe he said the job was nearly a year old and it was cracking and peeling off. It looks very dull. I'm going to remove it (any advice for removing it clean would be appreciated) and try the plasti-dip.

nmtj 04-09-2012 06:04 PM

IMO the only reason you use plasti dip is because it is removeable. I used to own a mkv GTI and everyone on the forums goes crazy for the stuff. I have used it a bunch and it holds up very well as long as it doesn't come into contact with anything.

Removal is very easy, you can either use your fingers and peel it off or use a pressure washer. If you leave it on for a long time 6+ months, it may not come off as easy. Depends on the thinkness of the coat and the bonding.

I like to use it because I can change the look of things, peel it off it I don't like it or peel and paint if I do. You can also paint over plasti dip and it's still removeable.

nmtj 04-09-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin in VA (Post 2237363)

Yes, yes and yes. It's just liquid plastic (very thin) that dries like paint.

Breezy58 04-09-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bsbillings

When I bought my wrangler, the previous owner had used the bed-liner to do the flares. I believe he said the job was nearly a year old and it was cracking and peeling off. It looks very dull. I'm going to remove it (any advice for removing it clean would be appreciated) and try the plasti-dip.

Thank you for letting us know what the bed-liner did on the flares. I was going to do mine but now I think I'm going to use some kind of paint for plastic. I would think the plasti dip would peel off the fender flares if you hit anything like tree limbs or removing ice and snow.

plydrty 04-09-2012 06:51 PM

my whole rig is plasti dipped :P prudy much everything that is black is plasti dip (besides top lol )

DESalt 04-09-2012 06:51 PM

I sound like a nerd when I say this, but YouTube the durability test. They take a power washer to it and it holds up. Take a look.

Robin in VA 04-09-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmtj (Post 2238413)
Yes, yes and yes. It's just liquid plastic (very thin) that dries like paint.

Awesome.. thank you! I might go buy this tomorrow and try it out and see how I like it this weekend. My Jeep and I will bond for 4 hours to the beach, then spend the weekend together! :flowers:

Breezy58 04-09-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESalt
I sound like a nerd when I say this, but YouTube the durability test. They take a power washer to it and it holds up. Take a look.

I looked at YouTube, Shoot a person can't loose. I'm going to do my flares and if it does come off I can just peel and spray again. Don't even have to worry about the over spray.

99 TJ DK Green (Gator)

2003x 04-09-2012 08:51 PM

My grill has about 10 coats of Plasti Dip, very thick and I like it.

Jeeplover1 04-09-2012 09:07 PM

ya i like it now i realize it has to cure for a few days so leave it alone its not like a quick drying spray paint. it took awhile for mine to be dry and i like it so far