Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Water pump replacement help please. Pretty please. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/water-pump-replacement-help-please-pretty-please-151764.html)

Grateful Parrot 04-06-2012 03:01 PM

Water pump replacement help please. Pretty please.

Ok. This might be a stupid question for those who have done this a hundred times, but the replacement water pump did not come with the studs for the fan blade. Am I suppose to buy new studs or somehow take the old studs out and reuse them? TIA.

The Toolman 04-06-2012 03:14 PM

No problem, yes you will either have to extract the old studs or get new ones. Typically, if you have soaked the old ones with a penetrant spray of some sort & cannot get them out by either using vise grips, doubling two of the nuts on a stud & wrenching the stud out that way, I would recommend seeking out some new studs

Grateful Parrot 04-06-2012 03:16 PM

thanks. will start dumping kroil on them and see if I can get them out. Would any of the big auto stores have them in stock? Are the studs still lefty loosy?

The Toolman 04-06-2012 03:27 PM

Yes, they should, & yes they are.

I would carry the old water pump with you to make sure you got the right size/length studs if you go that route though, there are a lot of different sizes believe it or not

Grateful Parrot 04-06-2012 03:43 PM

Thanks brother. Something blew up on my on the highway. AF was everywhere. I'm assuming water pump. I had already bought new water pump and radiator a two months ago when I had to backflush my heater core and the water looked sick. So I went ahead and bought the stuff and been meaning to put it on, but work and weather wouldn't allow it. Now I'm forced to do the replacements, and it's sunny. go figure.

The Toolman 04-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grateful Parrot
Thanks brother. Something blew up on my on the highway. AF was everywhere. I'm assuming water pump. I had already bought new water pump and radiator a two months ago when I had to backflush my heater core and the water looked sick. So I went ahead and bought the stuff and been meaning to put it on, but work and weather wouldn't allow it. Now I'm forced to do the replacements, and it's sunny. go figure.

Anytime, & I hear ya, I had a similar escapade a few years ago with mine

gmiller0737 04-06-2012 04:51 PM

Very Easy I have done 1000's of water pumps,Put 1 nut on a stud & run it down about 3/8" or so Now put another nut on top hold the bottom one & tighten the top one locking the 2 together then remove stud by turning by lower nut,Reinstall in new pump than remove nuts,Repeat for the other 3 studs.

Grateful Parrot 04-07-2012 07:48 AM

Thanks. But did the Kroil on the top and bottom and let it sit for a little bit, then with a very light grip vice grips, they came right out. It's a good think I live about 3 miles from the Kano Labs.