Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Chrome Lights..Best way to paint them.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/chrome-lights-best-way-to-paint-them-151836.html)

BUSHKILLJEEP 04-06-2012 08:58 PM

Chrome Lights..Best way to paint them..

1 Attachment(s)
Good Morning....I am looking for a weekend project on my Jeep to change it up a little.I am looking to take my CHROME spot lights and paint them BLACK...

I used Plasti Dip on the chrome around my head lights and turned out grate!! But I think Plasti Dip on my spot lights will chip off from bugs and washing the....

Any Ideas?

wwch99tj 04-06-2012 09:00 PM

Spray on Bedliner

CoyoteOn2 04-06-2012 09:04 PM

And lightly sand prior to the Black.

Irongrave 04-06-2012 09:05 PM

night shades or something like that could look very cool give it the black chrome finish

2002TJ 04-06-2012 09:09 PM

Remove the chrome....it's easy

Fully disassemble lights.

soak all metal parts you want dechromed with EasyOff oven cleaner...Don't let fully dry, so cover with trash bag and let it work....Wear mommy gloves and scrub off ovencleaner after a few hours...Reapply if needed.

Regular old style non syn brake fluid will do a trick on chrome too if you got time and money over EasyOff method.

You can also soda/sand blast items to remove chrome.

You really are better off attempting to remove rather than sand/scuff it...Once removed, oven dry everything at 200 for an hour or so, then while still a little warm, rattle can with top quality paint, then back in the oven at 200 for another hour or so.

TJspeed 04-06-2012 09:10 PM

plasti dip...

BUSHKILLJEEP 04-06-2012 09:14 PM

Chrome around the head lights

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I did Monday, came out grate

2002TJ 04-06-2012 09:17 PM

I'm lucky...I got 250 gallons of 50% caustic soda layin around. That stuff does a quick job on chrome plating and leaves no sanding scratches..It can also legally and safely be diluted with rinse water and flushed down the drain.....If you have access to it, be super careful to wear proper eye/skin protection and use outside....it ain't toxic but the slightest drop will burn your eyes and skin like the blazes....It's just plain ole Lye

2002TJ 04-06-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHKILLJEEP (Post 2228920)
This is what I did Monday, came out grate

Yup just did mine too, but those headlight rings are plastic and the chrome on them ain't near as tuff as what's on your KC Dayliters.

KC is all business and their chrome plating is top notch....you gotta get tuff with it if you ecpect paint to stick :)

Blueliner 04-06-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoyoteOn2 (Post 2228862)
And lightly sand prior to the Black.

yes scuff them lightly first. I would then Prime them with a good spray on primer, then paint with bedliner or whatever.

Blueliner 04-06-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002TJ (Post 2228935)
I'm lucky...I got 250 gallons of 50% caustic soda layin around. That stuff does a quick job on chrome plating and leaves no sanding scratches..It can also legally and safely be diluted with rinse water and flushed down the drain.....If you have access to it, be super careful to wear proper eye/skin protection and use outside....it ain't toxic but the slightest drop will burn your eyes and skin like the blazes....It's just plain ole Lye

you wouldn't be in the dead body removal business would you?;)

2002TJ 04-06-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueliner (Post 2229085)
you wouldn't be in the dead body removal business would you?;)

LOL, no I'm into great big high pressure steam boilers and stuff that makes me sweat and go deaf.

I could toss a body in a boiler furnace and it would be vapor in an hour, not ashes-vapor....That caustic soda method is messy and it leaves thick gummy residue and teeth and fillings and all sortsa evidence.

I've also got lab grade fuming hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid...The stuff is fun to play with:)

But seeing as how I'ma really nice guy I don't do that no more ;)

Blueliner 04-06-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002TJ (Post 2229140)
LOL, no I'm into great big high pressure steam boilers and stuff that makes me sweat and go deaf.

I could toss a body in a boiler furnace and it would be vapor in an hour, not ashes-vapor....That caustic soda method is messy and it leaves thick gummy residue and teeth and fillings and all sortsa evidence.

I've also got lab grade fuming hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid...The stuff is fun to play with:)

But seeing as how I'ma really nice guy I don't do that no more ;)

Well I think we just learned who not to F with on Wrangler forums:thumb:

2002TJ 04-06-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 2229152)
well i think we just learned who not to f with on wrangler forums:thumb:

lol!

Hey seriously, you can believe it's been done.....big plants like mine run 24/7.....one operator alone at night and all weekend and I've known a few who were kinda flakey and didn't like people and wanted to be left alone.

Hell, up in Chi-Town and places like Detroit back in the day you can believe a few operators made lotsa side money....I get so bored I might kidnap and hogtie someone for company but after the shift, I'd let them go :)