Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Remove CAD with locker? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/remove-cad-with-locker-151839.html)

FFire31 04-06-2012 09:06 PM

Remove CAD with locker?

I have lock right lockers in my YJ and am fed up with the central axle disconnect. I plan on locking the collar and shift fork over until I get a new axle. What's the take on it with a locker? Anyone else run this way?

dustinwilcoxson 04-06-2012 10:04 PM

I have an 89 with axle disconnect. They have taken off thr vaccum and put a cable on it i also have the lock right locker and i just figured out how to work all of it. So far i am 110% happy with it.

95YamJam 04-06-2012 10:43 PM

The locker shoul only engage with power to it so when your in 2wd you should be ok.

Locked front makes it harder to turn with no way to disco the axle. You should be fine running it that way.

spunebil 04-07-2012 06:50 AM

I have a locker and disco front axle but replaced the vacumn operated fork with a manual ( cable) so it is now like a poor mans selective diff. :)

There have been times in me last jeep where being open in front axle was an advantage ;)

And yes, last jeep ( xj) was locked fore and aft too!
but didnt have a disco :)

FFire31 04-07-2012 07:37 AM

Thanks. Locked it is!

183Beast 04-07-2012 03:50 PM

I know that it is done a lot, but I do not like putting in aussies/spartans etc in the front unless there is some way to unlock the hubs and/or the axle due to it WILL catch sometimes making it hard and dangerous to turn even when it's in two wheel drive. I had my shaft locked over for a temporary fix and it locked a couple times when I was turning. Its not the best feeling in the world!

birtydugger 04-08-2012 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guyz,.im currently on a 4.5" lift with 33" 93 YJ.. running a powertrax no-slip locker in my dana 35, its worked great for about 3yrs,..now the whole axle will be replaced in a cple of weeks with a dana 44 limited slip, (track-lock!) so my next traction battle for the muddy stuff is putting a powertrax no-slip in the HP dana 30 (CAD), which is a strong axle and my switch motor has always worked great!,.. from my experience i feel this set up of a locked dana30 up front & limited dana44 rear should serve me well...any thoughts on this set up? experiences/problems from same or similar?

spunebil 04-08-2012 05:27 PM

I ran locked hp30 up front and a locked 44 back aft with 4.88 gears front axle was not a disco, and Loved it! :)
Now running 4.10 gears with a disco hp 30 ;)
So being locked up front aint no thing to me!
Been doing it for years, sun, rain, and espesially Snow! Lol

spunebil 04-08-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spunebil (Post 2234237)
I ran locked hp30 up front and a locked 44 back aft with 4.88 gears front axle was not a disco, and Loved it! :)
Now running 4.10 gears with a disco hp 30 ;)
So being locked up front aint no thing to me!
Been doing it for years, sun, rain, and espesially Snow! Lol

And its A daily driver as I have nothing else to drive! Lol

Nickabis 04-08-2012 09:05 PM

I have a Spartan up front with tj shafts to eliminate my cad plus bigger u-joints, I left everything hooked up but it doesn't cause any issues. with this set up, my front drive line always spins but I don't have any vibes. I also got a awesome deal on a used warn hub conversion, so that will be added soon! I forget I have the locket up front still the time. I never hear or feel ratcheting, clicking, or popping.

183Beast 04-08-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickabis (Post 2234951)
I have a Spartan up front with tj shafts to eliminate my cad plus bigger u-joints, I left everything hooked up but it doesn't cause any issues. with this set up, my front drive line always spins but I don't have any vibes. I also got a awesome deal on a used warn hub conversion, so that will be added soon! I forget I have the locket up front still the time. I never hear or feel ratcheting, clicking, or popping.

Is yours working properly? It locks in 4 wheel drive? Maybe mine i messed up because with solid shafts and in 2 wheel drive it will lock occasionally. :banghead: Not often, but occasionally. Works awesome off-road though :punk:

Nickabis 04-08-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 183Beast

Is yours working properly? It locks in 4 wheel drive? Maybe mine i messed up because with solid shafts and in 2 wheel drive it will lock occasionally. :banghead: Not often, but occasionally. Works awesome off-road though :punk:

Yep, it works perfectly! The only time I really heard it ratchet is when I had the diff cover off and testing it.