Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   What the heck is wrong! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/what-the-heck-is-wrong-151841.html)

Jeepster80 04-06-2012 10:21 PM

What the heck is wrong!

I got in my 2002 wrangler sport with the 4.0, put in the key, pushed in the clutch, turned the key, all it did was click, did it again, same thing... Then all the gauges started going crazy! Happened 3 times, opened the hood, took off the hot wire on the barrier, put it back on, then it worked fine... Any ideas on what was wrong?

50Johnbob 04-06-2012 10:43 PM

Sounds like you might have had a bad or loose connection at the battery & when you removed & replaced the wire you fixed it.

Jeepster80 04-06-2012 10:48 PM

I was hoping that it was just the wire on the barrier. Do u think that the ecu maybe going out?

50Johnbob 04-06-2012 11:34 PM

No, I think you just had a bad connection at the battery. You said "then it worked fine..." Are you having any other problems since you removed & replaced the wire on the battery?

zmotorsports 04-06-2012 11:58 PM

When you say "barrier", I assume you mean "battery", and when you say "hot wire" are you talking about the "positive" battery cable?

If this is the case then you have a voltage drop across your battery positive terminal connection. The clicking sound and gauges acting up is an indication that when you turn the key to the "run" position there is enough current to activate the gauges but then as soon as you turn the key to the "start" position there is not enough current getting from the battery to the starter motor. This would cause the gauges to drop erratically with the change in available current. If the battery is fully charged, which it sounds like it is by your description then that means there is too much resistance in the starter circuit, ie bad connection.

When you removed the positive battery cable and reinstalled you obtained a better connection so the current can pass through to the starter solenoid and starter motor.

While you are at it check all of the battery connections and clean and reassemble. This also includes the negative cable from the battery to the chassis as current must pass in a complete circuit from positive side of the battery all the way back to the negative without unwanted resistance.

Mike.

50Johnbob 04-07-2012 12:23 AM

Thanks Mike, you would not believe how long it would have taken me to type out all of that good info :flowers:

PeteH 04-07-2012 10:43 AM

Check the ground connection on the battery, and also where it bolts to the engine and the body. The one on the battery tends to loosen up - the others, not so much. And a bad battery connection will produce exactly the symptoms you describe. CHeck the hold-down for the battery too. If it's loose it will contribute to the problem.

Also -- have you recently had it "stop-and-start" suddenly while driving? Like over a bump, or around a sharp turn? If so, that would confirm the bad battery connection.