Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Just got new JK for wife need advise (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/just-got-new-jk-for-wife-need-advise-152055.html)

gotwood03 04-07-2012 10:11 PM

Just got new JK for wife need advise
 
1 Attachment(s)
I just drove home new 2012 JK sport want to do small lift and some side steps dealer is trading my tires out for factory rubicon wheels and tires any advise

Attachment 112050

wmwhitey 04-07-2012 10:13 PM

Dont let her make her jeep more bad ass than yours it would cost you your man card lol. J/K good job on getting her a jeep I am trying to talk my wife into us trading in her Terrain for a Rubicon.

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwood03 (Post 2232201)
I just drove home new 2012 JK sport want to do small lift and some side steps dealer is trading my tires out for factory rubicon wheels and tires any advise

Attachment 112050

Best bet, IMO, for a small lift would be one of the leveling kits, which will raise your Jeep 2" in front and 1" in rear (fixes the factory rake). Very inexpensive and easy to install, and won't mess with the factory ride.

Here are a couple links:

Teraflex 1155200 - Teraflex Leveling Kit for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Full-Traction Suspension Jeep JK Wrangler 2.0" Leveling Kit Jeep JK Wrangler 2Dr/4Dr 4wd

For something more mid-range, several companies make very good 2.5" lift kits...you can get plain spring lifts (stiffer springs), or kits that come with springs/shocks. Good ones, such as the TeraFlex and Rock Krawler, will actually improve your Jeep's handling (although it'll be a bit stiffer). Obviously, these cost quite a bit more...and there's a chance that you may have to buy adjustable control arms and/or an adjustable track bar, depending...

gotwood03 04-07-2012 10:27 PM

Well I lose my warranty if I put a budget boost on my new jeep?

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:28 PM

Oh, and if you're looking for factory side steps, check out the classifieds here, CL, and e-bay. People sell em all the time. I sent mine to a WF member in CA for the cost of shipping, just to get em out of my garage. They were 4 days old. :thumb:

Ltblue 04-07-2012 10:29 PM

sure it's for the wife? :)

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwood03 (Post 2232253)
Well I lose my warranty if I put a budget boost on my new jeep?

Nope. Chrysler cannot void your warranty. The parts you put on will themselves not be covered, but anything else that breaks should be. To deny you coverage, Chrysler would have to prove that the parts you put on the Jeep were directly responsible for the damage to the parts they refused to cover.

Ltblue 04-07-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2232266)
Nope. Chrysler cannot void your warranty. The parts you put on will themselves not be covered, but anything else that breaks should be. To deny you coverage, Chrysler would have to prove that the parts you put on the Jeep were directly responsible for the damage to the parts they refused to cover.

hey wolf, did you get the "glossy black" on your rampage front bumper? sry for being off topic here..

gotwood03 04-07-2012 10:35 PM

Yes I'm sure it's for the wife just glad she got rid of the old lady car 07 ford expedition 2wd , won't be quite as cool as my 05 unlimited I hope!

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:35 PM

Read these:

what all will a lift void on my warranty?

Leveling Kit and Warranty

There are literally dozens and dozens more. Type "void" or "void warranty" into the search field...you'll get the same answers. :)

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue (Post 2232273)
hey wolf, did you get the "glossy black" on your rampage front bumper? sry for being off topic here..

Nope, I got the powdercoated version. BUT...I bought mine on Amazon (saved a pile, plus free shipping), and they have the powdercoated version (via mfr part #) listed as glossy.

If you order using the part #, though, you'll get the powdercoated version. The info on their website is just incorrect, that's all. :thumb:

Ltblue 04-07-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2232286)
Nope, I got the powdercoated version. BUT...I bought mine on Amazon (saved a pile, plus free shipping), and they have the powdercoated version (via mfr part #) listed as glossy.

If you order using the part #, though, you'll get the powdercoated version. The info on their website is just incorrect, that's all. :thumb:

but did you pay the amount of the glossy or powdercoated?

Ltblue 04-07-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwood03 (Post 2232279)
Yes I'm sure it's for the wife just glad she got rid of the old lady car 07 ford expedition 2wd , won't be quite as cool as my 05 unlimited I hope!

gotwood I don't know, if your gonna add these mods to the wife's.. it might just be cooler than yours. Fingers crossed:whistling:

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue (Post 2232290)
but did you pay the amount of the glossy or powdercoated?

Powdercoated. Got front and rear, plus the Rampage rear fogs, for right at $1K.

You'll notice that the rear costs more than the front. Not sure what's up with that, since the front is bigger, heavier, has a stinger and comes with a winch mounting plate.

Jeep economics, I guess. :)

One thing's for sure: it was the easiest install of anything (except grab handles...maybe) I've put on my rig to date.

gotwood03 04-07-2012 10:50 PM

She says if I do this to hers I get rock sliders and gears for mine

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwood03 (Post 2232329)
She says if I do this to hers I get rock sliders and gears for mine

Gears? Fair is fair. :D

Ltblue 04-07-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2232314)
Powdercoated. Got front and rear, plus the Rampage rear fogs, for right at $1K.

You'll notice that the rear costs more than the front. Not sure what's up with that, since the front is bigger, heavier, has a stinger and comes with a winch mounting plate.

Jeep economics, I guess. :)

One thing's for sure: it was the easiest install of anything (except grab handles...maybe) I've put on my rig to date.

Hmm I really like those, was thinking about getting the AEV premium bumper but honestly I do not like how it looks..its probably alot heavier too. Only con IMO about the rampage is that the front tires are kinda exposed, like a stubby bumper which I don't really like :facepalm:

Ltblue 04-07-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwood03 (Post 2232329)
She says if I do this to hers I get rock sliders and gears for mine

lol she's a keeper

kbwwolf 04-07-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue (Post 2232348)
Hmm I really like those, was thinking about getting the AEV premium bumper but honestly I do not like how it looks..its probably alot heavier too. Only con IMO about the rampage is that the front tires are kinda exposed, like a stubby bumper which I don't really like :facepalm:

Are you looking at the Rampage Recovery bumper? It may look like the tires are exposed, but something would be hard pressed to get through that beast and actually hit one of my tires from the front. It's a full-width bumper, definitely. I didn't want a stubby, either...for just that reason. I gotta plow through a lot of brush and stuff, and wanted something that would cut a wide path.

As for the weight, the Rampage is not light, by any means. The front – without the winch plate or winch – weighs about 105 lbs. I didn't have a problem with it cuz I bought a lift w/springs and shocks, which minimized the sag.

Ltblue 04-08-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2232412)
Are you looking at the Rampage Recovery bumper? It may look like the tires are exposed, but something would be hard pressed to get through that beast and actually hit one of my tires from the front. It's a full-width bumper, definitely. I didn't want a stubby, either...for just that reason. I gotta plow through a lot of brush and stuff, and wanted something that would cut a wide path.

As for the weight, the Rampage is not light, by any means. The front – without the winch plate or winch – weighs about 105 lbs. I didn't have a problem with it cuz I bought a lift w/springs and shocks, which minimized the sag.

Yeah I really like the design of that front bumper. If I were to get it, it would just be the bumper and not the winch(for now). I hate how flimsy the stock bumpers are but also am weight conscious cause I am not regearing anytime soon so.

kbwwolf 04-08-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue (Post 2232889)
Yeah I really like the design of that front bumper. If I were to get it, it would just be the bumper and not the winch(for now). I hate how flimsy the stock bumpers are but also am weight conscious cause I am not regearing anytime soon so.

Hmm. The Rampage might be too heavy for you...One of the lighter bumpers I found when I was on the bumper hunt was this one:

Body Armor JK-19531 - Body Armor 4x4 Front High Clearance Bumper in Textured Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Only 65 lbs for the front. Even though it's high-clearance, the wings stick out far enough to give you front wheel coverage, albeit a little higher than most bumpers.

Ltblue 04-09-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2233080)
Hmm. The Rampage might be too heavy for you...One of the lighter bumpers I found when I was on the bumper hunt was this one:

Body Armor JK-19531 - Body Armor 4x4 Front High Clearance Bumper in Textured Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Only 65 lbs for the front. Even though it's high-clearance, the wings stick out far enough to give you front wheel coverage, albeit a little higher than most bumpers.

Hey wolf when you add those two bumpers on, did you feel a significant power loss? I have a lift also, springs, shocks etc.. so I'm not to worry about the sag

kbwwolf 04-09-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue (Post 2237850)
Hey wolf when you add those two bumpers on, did you feel a significant power loss? I have a lift also, springs, shocks etc.. so I'm not to worry about the sag

I installed mine at the same time as my lift, wheels and 35" tires, so hard to say...

I don't think they'd affect your Jeep's power too much, though. Front and rear combined is only about 200 lbs...so just like adding a single passenger, for the most part. :thumb:

Ltblue 04-18-2012 01:33 PM

Hey wolf I just order the rear rampage bumper. I hope it's the "textured black" though on amazon it doesn't list which one it is. It says 86605 but when I try typing 88605 nothing comes up. Really hope I don't get the "glossy black."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.