Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   I'm FINALLY getting a Jeep Rubicon! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/im-finally-getting-a-jeep-rubicon-152272.html)

Con Artist 04-09-2012 04:59 AM

I'm FINALLY getting a Jeep Rubicon!

I've been a member here for a while, yet don't own a Jeep. That's going to change pretty soon, but the circumstances are unfortunate.

For about a year now I've been wanting a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and have been tossing around the notion of getting rid of my 2005 WRX STi for one. As much as I'd wanted the Jeep, I just couldn't bare to let go of my STi. Well, that decision was made for me Friday night when we were hit from behind at between 50-60 mph and knocked into a car in front of us. We were the first "sandwich" in a five-car pile-up, which was caused by an inattentive driver.

My wife and I are lucky to be alive and we are lucky to be moving at all. Without discussing the accident (for many reasons...), the decision to get rid of the STi has been made. Everything tells me to go grab up another Subaru, considering it saved my life, but quite honestly, I just don't want another STi, despite one saving my life and being a fantastic car. No, a Rubicon's no Cadillac, but it does have 4WD, a removable top, and a close-knit following which just seems to come so close to that "Subaru Brotherhood."

I've been set on either "Dozer Orange" or "Crush Orange," but photos on Jeep's website really aren't real accurate of what these colors probably actually look like; you know how computers are. So, If anyone has a Rubicon (or any Wrangler) in these hues, I'd love to see them.

BTW, I figure I'll post a few photos of what's left of what used to be a gorgeous 2005 STi. I have lots of fond memories of it, but without a doubt, my fondest will be how its safety saved our lives Friday evening. Unfortunately, my last memory will be seeing what was left of it while at the impound lot. The car was spotless, well-maintained, never abused, and just...beautiful.

FWIW, you can't see it in the photo but the trunk was smashed in all the way to the door of the gas tank.

I know people are going to post their opinions on the accident but due to many reasons, I'm not at liberty to really get into discussing the details. I ask you all, please just focus on the thread topic and post some photos of your Dozer or Crush Jeeps, and let's just talk about Jeeps. I'm just happy my wife and I are speaking at all and we can both move, albeit very slowly. :)

cmg427 04-09-2012 07:18 AM

Glad your ok, I was almost in a wreck just like that this past Friday after leaving the Reds game. Where 3 different interstates/highways merge together some idiot had come to a complete stop for some reason, if I hadnt switched lanes I would have been sandwiched too.

Congrats on the new jeep your about to get. Get a rental and take your time, see people all the time rush the decision and have regrets.

daggo66 04-09-2012 07:54 AM

I;m glad you're all right after that. I know the Subaru did a good job of protecting you, but keep in mind that so will the Jeep, if not better.

I don't think you are going to get any more accurate renditions of those 2 colors by people posting photos here. The same variables that are on the Jeep website will be present on this forum. It will depend on the camera used and the monitor you are viewing it on. I would strongly suggest going to a dealer and seeing them in person, especially Dozer. Sometimes it's orange and sometimes it's yellow.

Con Artist 04-09-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2236029)
I;m glad you're all right after that. I know the Subaru did a good job of protecting you, but keep in mind that so will the Jeep, if not better.

I don't think you are going to get any more accurate renditions of those 2 colors by people posting photos here. The same variables that are on the Jeep website will be present on this forum. It will depend on the camera used and the monitor you are viewing it on. I would strongly suggest going to a dealer and seeing them in person, especially Dozer. Sometimes it's orange and sometimes it's yellow.

Yeah, that's a bit of a problem in "Nowheresville, WV." We have a Jeep dealer here and while they normally have a few Wranglers on the lot, they're more common varieties; the Sahara, Sport, etc. They seem to have everything but Rubicons and are carrying the most common of colors. I certainly can't blame them from a sales perspective but it just makes things difficult for those of us who want something a little bit different. :facepalm:

As for the person who commented on "buyers remorse," that's impossible at this point. Had I spontaneously hit a Jeep dealer and just ditched my STi, then regretted it two days later, that'd be a different story, but in this case, the decision was made for me. While I don't want to use the word, "resent," it wouldn't matter what I got, whether it be a Jeep or another STi/STI, it will simply never fill the void of the car I just lost. While my STi in itself can be replaced, the sentimental value I hold for that particular one cannot. That was the car my wife got me as a wedding gift, and while it was still a wedding gift, we both had to work hard to make the payments to allow me to own that vehicle. KBB can't put a value on that.

Given this experience, I just feel like I never want a small vehicle ever again; so much for that Corvette Z06 or ZR1 I would have loved to own one day.

I guess at this point, after reading the comment about how a Jeep would have probably protected us further, I'm interested in hearing from some people who have been in wrecks and seeing some pics and hearing all about it. I'm so paranoid I'm scared to buy anything but a Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab with the dually option...:hide:

3TimeOwner 04-09-2012 09:19 AM

holy crap, glad you are alright. That doesn't look pretty.
My wife and I went through the same decision on Crush vs. Dozer, and settle on Dozer. the way I would describe the colors to you is this. Crush, looks like the old Orange Crush can... Bright, unmistakably orange. Dozer, is more of the color of a County truck or the orange some heavy equipment mfg's paint a dozer or backhoe. more of a subdued orange/black/yellow. To call it orange, is the same as calling a country truck orange... yes, it is, but it is an off orange and not the blaze bright color of a Crush can

BTW - my first jeep saved my life as well. T-boned by a crown vic who was doing at least 45 when he hit me... over 9K worth of damage to the jeep, and I drove it for another month until the insurance company repo'd because they totaled it. can't imagine what a smaller car would have looked like

Cruise missile 04-09-2012 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Crush in first! Woo-hoo!

:dance: :dance:
Attachment 112390
:dance: :dance:

The second and third pics are to show how different the color can look due the the lighting. ( Also because I like putting pics of Stomper up.)

In the third pic, the doors needed another coat of paint and looked "greenish" near the bottom.

If you end up in a Jeep, don't forget to :wavey:

Cruise missile 04-09-2012 09:57 AM

I'm Going to the dealership to pick up some parts here in a few minutes. I'll snap a couple of pics with Dozer and Crush side by side.

vgerardi 04-09-2012 10:17 AM

Here is a good shot of Mango Tango, Crush, and Dozer side by side. Taken from http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/man...er-118296.html thread.

http://i56.tinypic.com/200cx1g.jpg

Cruise missile 04-09-2012 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is good proof that you need to see it in person. In person the difference is not subtle, the pics don't do either color justice.

Attachment 112398

This one is "closer to the truth" if you will.

Attachment 112400

GonzoBobH 04-09-2012 11:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not the easiest to see, but this may give you another perspective...

GL,

BobH

Ballandchain 04-09-2012 12:03 PM

Dozer is by far the best color they have right now. That's unless you like to drive pumpkins or a huge wad of Hubba Bubba around....

cosmos 04-09-2012 12:08 PM

Glad you're ok, tough way to get to Jeep ownership but you'll love it. Find a bigger dealer online that has the colors you want to see and make the trip, the pictures are just hints of the real colors. When I was looking I saw crush and dozer on the same lot, loved the dozer and didn't care for the crush at all. You would think they'd strike a similar cord but they're very different. I ended up getting cosmos blue which I think looks terrible in pics but in the real world I love it.

MarineHawk 04-09-2012 12:11 PM

Glad everyone is okay. This thread is why I like the heavier bumpers, like for example my 160-lb Rock Hard front:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...k/-Jeep/01.jpg

And similar for the rear and sides:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...k/-Jeep/05.jpg

4fit 04-09-2012 12:16 PM

Wow! Glad you guys are alright. Always loved the STis an really hope to own one some day.

Can't help you with your color choices, as I have neither. I can say that I much prefer Crush over Dozer, but that is a personal preference. And here is a pic of one of the best looking Crush JKs I have seen yet.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...DSC_0051-1.jpg

Matador 04-09-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2235839)
Without discussing the accident (for many reasons...)

...but due to many reasons, I'm not at liberty to really get into discussing the details.

I'm sorry, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. I NEED to ask given your screen name and repetitiveness, a) what happened or b) why can't you talk about if you already done so to a certain extent. :hide:

deathphoenix99 04-09-2012 02:30 PM

I'm willing to bet he's being smart and not discussing anything about the wreck/accident until all legal matters are taken care of. Since this is a public domain, anything and everything he says on here could be used against him.

Now, staying on topic, make sure you test drive the jeep before you finish the paperwork and take it home. Even if they custom order one for you, make sure EVERYTHING is perfect, and I have seen a few threads with lists in them on what to check to make sure everything is there, and that nothing appears to be wrong from the beginning. Drive it around, check for anything that doesn't sound/feel right and just make sure you don't have a lemon pretty much.

Enjoy your new vehicle and glad everyone was okay.

RoobyRoo 04-09-2012 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CRUSH! But my son named my Jeep Smash. :punk:

Attachment 112443

Glad you made it through the accident ok.

Sjeupie 04-09-2012 02:40 PM

^don't forget to check underneath for potential missing skid plates and such. And don't (really, just don't) drive it off the lot if you're not satisfied with every little detail. Numerous threads on here as well about people trying to get stuff fixed afterwards. A pita.

As far as the colours concerned; it looks as if dozer is actually a fresh orange-juice kinda colour (which would make it an orange more than a yellow....?)

Sjeupie 04-09-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise missile (Post 2236325)
In the third pic, the doors needed another coat of paint and looked "greenish" near the bottom.
http://cdn.wranglerforum.com/attachm...2&d=1333979363

Nice looking rig man. The half doors really finish it off (even with a greenish look :D )

Casotakar1229 04-09-2012 04:58 PM

yup, glad you're okay!

good luck on your purchase and welcome to the wf!

flyinion 04-09-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2235839)
I've been set on either "Dozer Orange" or "Crush Orange," but photos on Jeep's website really aren't real accurate of what these colors probably actually look like; you know how computers are.

Part of that is because they are crappy "renderings" and not at all what the colors really look like. You'll notice huge differences in the colors as well when looking at 2 vs. 4 door sections on the Jeep site. My monitor at home is calibrated for photo work and I have NEVER seen black forest green look like they show on the website. I'd venture to say it's not even possible for it to ever look as bright as it does in those pics unless you were on the surface of the sun.

Con Artist 04-09-2012 08:34 PM

I think all of you are most certainly right and I'm going to have to see these colors in person, but in the one photo with the Mango Tango, Crush, and Dozer next to each other, I'm really digging the Dozer.

I really love that Crush Unlimited with the aftermarket wheels/offroad tires on it. When I think of "my" Jeep, that's the look I want!

Being as this is my first (and hopefully last) accident, I don't know how long these types of things take to get settled. If auto claims are separated from medical claims, then great, but if not, I guess I'll be at the realization things may take a while. I'm guessing it won't be a case of just getting a payout on the car and getting something within a few weeks. :facepalm:

Lab Lover 04-09-2012 08:59 PM

I have to say I'm amazed how well the Subbie held up in that type of accident, you two are truly blessed. My heart aches for the loss of you car, my husband gives me crap all the time for being so attached to my G35 Coupe I can't imagine anything like that happening to her.
If your able to, try to get a Jeep as a rental. That's the best way to find out if your comfortable with the way it drives and could live with it. If it's your main vehicle you want to be sure your happy with it. I've had Jeeps prior to my JKU so I knew exactly what I was getting, but I still have my G so it's my second vehicle.
Here's a picture of my "big pumpkin," as someone above referred to the Orange Crush. I looked everywhere to see one in person, finally just went ahead and ordered it. After seeing a Dozer in person I was very relieved I got the Crush, it's brighter and doesn't have the yellow that Dozer does. color.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...reator/299.jpg

Whatever you decide, best of luck and take your time.
Lisa

C6Rubicon 04-09-2012 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist

Given this experience, I just feel like I never want a small vehicle ever again; so much for that Corvette Z06 or ZR1 I would have loved to own one day.

...:hide:

Don't give up on the ZO6. I have seen photos where the Z was wrecked so bad you couldn't tell what kind of car it was and the driver walked away. Owning the Z and a Rubicon = :)

Attachment 112563

Con Artist 04-09-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lab Lover (Post 2238846)
I have to say I'm amazed how well the Subbie held up in that type of accident, you two are truly blessed. My heart aches for the loss of you car, my husband gives me crap all the time for being so attached to my G35 Coupe I can't imagine anything like that happening to her.
If your able to, try to get a Jeep as a rental. That's the best way to find out if your comfortable with the way it drives and could live with it. If it's your main vehicle you want to be sure your happy with it. I've had Jeeps prior to my JKU so I knew exactly what I was getting, but I still have my G so it's my second vehicle.
Here's a picture of my "big pumpkin," as someone above referred to the Orange Crush. I looked everywhere to see one in person, finally just went ahead and ordered it. After seeing a Dozer in person I was very relieved I got the Crush, it's brighter and doesn't have the yellow that Dozer does. color.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...reator/299.jpg

Whatever you decide, best of luck and take your time.
Lisa

Subarus are notoriously safe vehicles, so I can't deny the safety of that car certainly played a part in the outcome. Even after the accident, all four doors opened as if nothing had happened! :thumb:

My wife and I should be dead. The force was so great, my wife's seat-back was bent backwards!:eek:

I don't know how, but both of us walked away from the crash, albeit quite slowly. I won't discuss too much detail due to obvious reasons. I'll just say that we are both extremely sore and in a lot of pain, as you can imagine. Surprisingly enough though, neither of us sustained broken bones, internal bleeding, or needed stitches. Sadly, another STi/STI was not on the agenda as my next car. I decided over a year ago that my next vehicle was going to be something different; I've done the sports car/muscle car "thing" and it's time for a change.

Unfortunately, there was a very slim chance I would have been able to keep the STi and get a Jeep; I'd reserved myself to the fact the STi would probably have to go, but no offense to Jeep (obviously...), but at this time I just couldn't see myself giving up an STi for a Jeep. It was just way to fun and reliable of a vehicle to give up. It was in extremely good running/cosmetic condition and very well-taken care of.

What hurts the most is that while I would have more than likely had to get rid of the STi for the Jeep, I was unable to make the decision as to when that was going to happen. Now, I'm basically being "forced" into the Jeep before I was ready to make the decision regarding the STi, and who knows, maybe in the future, I would have been able to keep the STi and get a Jeep. That was the goal I was striving for. Unfortunately, that changed.

In the end, I will love the Jeep I plan on purchasing, and while I will be very excited, there will still be that slight "resentment" because I was basically forced into it instead of being able to make the decision on my own. It wouldn't be any different than if I found myself in a 2012 STi, or even another 2005 STi. The one I lost was the one with the sentimental value, there is no replacement.

That aside, I've been seriously wanting a Jeep now for over a year and that's the vehicle I've had my heart set on. While some of that "celebratory feeling" of owning a new car will be robbed from me due to an inattentive driver, I will still be excited to hop in, pop the top, and enter into a previously unexplored "realm." I'm looking forward to finding a great camaraderie with fellow Jeep enthusiasts as I did with fellow Subaru enthusiasts. I will certainly be looking for a local Jeep club or just a group of fellow owners/enthusiasts to go mudding with or whatever.

In the end, I know I'm going to absolutely love my new Jeep; everything from enjoying nice sunny days to warm summer nights, not to mention throwing nature's muddy and snowy challenges at it. It's gonna be great! :thumb:

FWIW, renting a Jeep would be a great idea, and I think I may just try to do that for a few days...and I absolutely love your Jeep. It's AWESOME! When I think of "my" Jeep, that's pretty much the picture I get in my head!

Lab Lover 04-09-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2239179)
I just couldn't see myself giving up an STi for a Jeep.

I completely understand, even after owning 3 Jeeps I would never give up the G for one. It's an entirely different world and as much as I enjoy the capabilities and room of the Jeep, I won't give up the thrill of a nice drive down some twisties or a good downshift heading into a circular off ramp :D
Quote:

there is no replacement.

The Jeep won't be a replacement, nothing will. But it will be a new adventure and a chance to make some amazing memories just like you did with the Subaru. After loosing everything I own to a house fire years back, I learned to make memories every chance I get as they last longer than any material things we can own.
Quote:

I absolutely love your Jeep. It's AWESOME!

Thank you, I'm very pleased with the way everything went together. Now to just find some time to go play with all the goodies it has, hopefully very soon :thumb:

-Lisa

Stuff 04-09-2012 11:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh man, sorry to hear about your STI... glad you're ok.

And this thread needs more Dozer!

It's more yellow than orange, think of it as the color of the center line or yellow lights or a school bus. :thumb:

I LOVE MY JEEP! :D

Con Artist 04-10-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lab Lover (Post 2239408)
I completely understand, even after owning 3 Jeeps I would never give up the G for one. It's an entirely different world and as much as I enjoy the capabilities and room of the Jeep, I won't give up the thrill of a nice drive down some twisties or a good downshift heading into a circular off ramp :D

The Jeep won't be a replacement, nothing will. But it will be a new adventure and a chance to make some amazing memories just like you did with the Subaru. After loosing everything I own to a house fire years back, I learned to make memories every chance I get as they last longer than any material things we can own.

Thank you, I'm very pleased with the way everything went together. Now to just find some time to go play with all the goodies it has, hopefully very soon :thumb:

-Lisa

I'm glad you also see it that way, Lisa. That's exactly how I look at it; I'll make some amazing memories with the Jeep as well. Unfortunately, while I would be able to row through gears, it's going to be far from the same experience of the STi; good luck hanging corners in a Jeep. :surrender:

Whatever the case, a Jeep is going to be a blast. I'll be able to ride around with the tops out whenever it's nice, drive places I couldn't even dream of driving to in the STi, I'll have room for gear, and it's just be roomier on longer drives.

There are a lot of appealing things about a Jeep that I'd never be able to experience in an STi, and vice versa. It's just funny that as a kid I always really liked the Renegade and always had an appreciation for a Jeep, yet never bothered to own one; I always reached for the muscle cars.

It's time for a change, and while that change will come a bit prematurely, I'm going to make the best of it and enjoy it. I just hope this entire mess is over quickly so I can just get on with my life.

Cruise missile 04-10-2012 09:38 AM

I fell I should warn you about this.

Like the dark side of the force, you can't go back after owning a Jeep.

It will consume your every thought, not to mention your wallet.

You will crash through puddles like your 8 years old just after washing it.

The third belt loop on all of your pants/shorts, will die.

You will get up early on snow days to go drive.

You will stare out windows at it.

You will turn around and look at it before walking in to the store. Every time.

You will never be evenly tan, but you'll be tan.

Children will point and wave when the top and doors are off.

Adults at gas stations will compliment it.

You will go out for milk, and return three hours later.

You'll change your hairstyle to accomidate open driving, that or buy Jeep hats.

This is just a teaser, follow this link for more. :D http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/you...en-101342.html

Con Artist 04-10-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise missile (Post 2240641)
I fell I should warn you about this.

Like the dark side of the force, you can't go back after owning a Jeep.

It will consume your every thought, not to mention your wallet.

You will crash through puddles like your 8 years old just after washing it.

The third belt loop on all of your pants/shorts, will die.

You will get up early on snow days to go drive.

You will stare out windows at it.

You will turn around and look at it before walking in to the store. Every time.

You will never be evenly tan, but you'll be tan.

Children will point and wave when the top and doors are off.

Adults at gas stations will compliment it.

You will go out for milk, and return three hours later.

You'll change your hairstyle to accomidate open driving, that or buy Jeep hats.

This is just a teaser, follow this link for more. :D http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/you...en-101342.html

Nothing about meeting cool people? Maybe I should be looking elsewhere. :D

These are all good things, and quite honestly, I've been ready to explore a new "territory" of excitement. :punk: