Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   About f"&$@?!$& had it (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/about-f-and-and-had-it-152681.html)

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 05:36 PM

About f"&$@?!$& had it

My jeep is running like shit can't go faster then 5mph sound and feels like something's hitting under the good and I replaced spark plugs wires ECU AND fuel filter this is bs I'm on my last hope idk what to do

2xs 04-10-2012 05:38 PM

Sounds like maybe they programmed your computer wrong...

Or you dot a defective one, they are only reman units....

Ibuildembig 04-10-2012 05:39 PM

might check the speed sensor if its an automatic

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 05:41 PM

A reman unit. And no it's a 95 yj manual

spunebil 04-10-2012 05:54 PM

Could be timing
as in timing chain/belt (not sure what these jeeps use ;)
But if it jumped a tooth or two it can cause symptons like this

ThingsAbove 04-10-2012 05:54 PM

Does it idle ok but then chokes out under throttle? Does it accelerate and then lose power or no power from the start? What changed from the time it was running ok?

Was it running rich before you swapped out the ECU? It might have plugged the cat...

So many possibilities... tell us more.

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 06:08 PM

Okay it starts up idles like the beauty it is then when I start going it looses power drastically and as soon as I go home and hold it in neutral it's fine . I literally 29 minutes ago replaced the ECU idk what else to do. If you think you got an idea shoot me questions please any helps necessary

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 06:08 PM

And no it was running like crap before the ECU swap too

Garyk 04-10-2012 06:15 PM

OK, it idles just fine but has no power under load???That sounds like it could be the Cat or the injectors are not getting fuel.

4Jeepn 04-10-2012 06:29 PM

clogged muffler/ bad cat perhaps.

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 06:36 PM

Clogged muffler??? And how do I check all this stuff

2xs 04-10-2012 06:39 PM

MAP sensor? check to see if the vacuum line has fallen off.

blazerone22 04-10-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The youngin and jeeper (Post 2242728)
Clogged muffler??? And how do I check all this stuff

Disconect below the exhuast manifold, two nuts, seperate the pipe from the outlet, and take it for a spin and see if it cures it...

clinkous 04-10-2012 06:59 PM

If its not the cat, maybe check your sensors on the motor! Have you downloaded it? Some people remove the check engine light bulb so it don't light up!

clinkous 04-10-2012 07:00 PM

BTW if it is the cat you can tap on it! If you hear alot of stuff moving around in there its a good chance its clogged. Just my quick .02

ItsSabby 04-10-2012 07:04 PM

Sounds like a clogged exhaust judging by the symptoms and the popping under the hood.

ThingsAbove 04-10-2012 07:18 PM

I vote for clogged cat. That usually worsens progressively until it begins to make the engine run rich then it clogs fast at which point it superheats and the matrix breaks down inside the can and almost completely clogs.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...9/DSCN3412.jpg

pupa1 04-10-2012 07:19 PM

i say cats

clinkous 04-10-2012 07:22 PM

Just reading the posts and am by no means an exhaust expert but if it were clogged that bad wouldn't it affect idle too?

0III0forlife 04-10-2012 07:29 PM

If it isnt clogged completely it will allow the motor to idle. Youngin, can you rev the motor when its in neutral? or does it spit and sputter then too?

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerone22

Disconect below the exhuast manifold, two nuts, seperate the pipe from the outlet, and take it for a spin and see if it cures it...

Can you go into deeper explanation

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkous
If its not the cat, maybe check your sensors on the motor! Have you downloaded it? Some people remove the check engine light bulb so it don't light up!

How do I download it???

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkous
BTW if it is the cat you can tap on it! If you hear alot of stuff moving around in there its a good chance its clogged. Just my quick .02

Where's the cat???

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThingsAbove
I vote for clogged cat. That usually worsens progressively until it begins to make the engine run rich then it clogs fast at which point it superheats and the matrix breaks down inside the can and almost completely clogs.

Where can I check that????

The youngin and jeeper 04-10-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0III0forlife
If it isnt clogged completely it will allow the motor to idle. Youngin, can you rev the motor when its in neutral? or does it spit and sputter then too?

It revs fine only when it's in gear moving it acts up

AMP'd 04-10-2012 08:02 PM

sounds like a clogged cat.

clinkous 04-10-2012 08:04 PM

The cat is located just forward of your muffler and just down stream from your o2 sensor on your exhaust. Basically if you lay down under the passenger side and look up you will see your exhaust pipe. As it turns under your oil pan you will see the o2 sensor in it with a wire coming off it. Keep following the pipe toward the back and you should see a large metel box looking thing...that will be your cat. Tap on it with something and listen for stuff moving around....

ThingsAbove 04-10-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The youngin and jeeper (Post 2243125)
Can you go into deeper explanation

If you disconnect your header pipe where it connects to #5 in the image below it will be incredibly loud but it will allow you to check if your cat is clogged.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ex...aust-parts.jpg

Garyk 04-10-2012 08:08 PM

The CAT is the first muffler looking thing on the exhaust pipe before the muffler.
If you have somebody to help you, have someone sit in the jeep and raise the RPM and see if you can feel a good exhaust pressure at the tailpipe, it should be a lot more than at idle, if no decent flow, the cat is bad.
Download meant getting the codes from the jeep. Do a search on th in the forum, its pretty straightforward, key on and off , on, off and on, then read flashes of check engine light

clinkous 04-10-2012 08:08 PM

As for downloading it, under the dash benith your steering wheel you will see a black plug with lots of holes in it....its about 2 inches wide and about half inch thick. You will need a scaner to download it though. The fact that your asking where it is makes me assume you have not had it downloaded. I highly recomend finding someone to download it because it will give you fault codes to help troubleshoot. Advance and autozone will download it for free if you can make it to one of the stores. If not, the OBD scanners are pretty common in a mechanics garage.....someone you know should have one