Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   recomend a repair manual (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/recomend-a-repair-manual-152715.html)

btowerman 04-10-2012 07:38 PM

recomend a repair manual

I have a 1998 wrangler and was wondering if any repair manual was better than the next .I would like to do some of my own repairs. thanks

Atthehop 04-10-2012 07:48 PM

The best manuals are the FSM's.

robbiecc 04-10-2012 08:17 PM

x2 have he digital(pdf) for 98 if interested-msg me but it's a good sized file. can find the hard copy on ebay--shop around, prices all over the place. note that they are year specific

Jerry Bransford 04-10-2012 08:27 PM

Manuals from Chilton's and Haynes aren't worth the paper they're printed on, go only for the official Jeep Factory Service Manual which is specific for every model year. Haynes and Chiltons try to cover too many model years and they aren't completely accurate on any single model year.

jp2611 04-10-2012 08:31 PM

A neighbor gave me a book called the Jeep Bible---It seems fairly good but it covers a LOT of vehicles..would think they would have to miss something?

McDaniel 04-10-2012 09:00 PM

Feild service manual -old school "the real book" purchased mine on line for about $125.00 worth every cent - you can buy it from MOPAR they have a site, but i forgot what it was called. This site sold all the MOPAR publications. I bet Jerry knows they name of the site or i can try and post it up from my office tomorrow

KrzyMoke 04-10-2012 09:46 PM

Check ebay often. I found all 5 for under $70 (2 orders). They are definitely worth the money. I am a AVID Chilton Total Car Care Guide person and have a mess of them in my garage but for our Wranglers, they SUCK! Definitely get the FSM's.

DrewG 04-11-2012 06:56 AM

Does anyone use AllData for Jeep service manuals? Back when I worked at a shop, we'd use it ALL the time, but this was for Honda and Toyota products. For those, AllData was fantastic - so much quicker than searching around for the correct year FSM, then leafing through...just point and click on what you want. I'd like to know if it's worth a damn for our Jeeps, though.

lindel 04-11-2012 08:28 AM

You can download the Mopar/Jeep manual for free at several places, so I'd start there.

AllData was ok, but you have to pay each year for a membership.

Chilton and Haynes aren't completely useless. They make good paperweights and stack up if you need to reach something...

dmblair 04-11-2012 08:49 AM

Search on google and you will be able to find a FSM for your specific year. That's the only way to go. I've used Haynes and Chilton's in the past and they don't hold a candle to the original FSM. Don't buy a Haynes or Chilton's IMO!!!

Tonycrd 04-11-2012 08:54 AM

I have the Haynes. It works for me.:thumb:

Anyway, here you can look at the FSM for free: Jeep Knowledge Base

ospreyguy 04-11-2012 08:58 AM

I downloaded the FSM, then printed the whole thing out at work. Took it to kinkos and had it bound into 4 books. Cost me $20 compared to $120 I found on ebay and such. If you have one jeep then the FSM is the way to go. Has anything and everything you want to know and it's specific to your vehicle...

PeteH 04-11-2012 09:15 AM

Problems with Haynes and Chilton are that they don't have all the information, and they have LOUSY indexing and organization. The info you want may well be IN there, but finding it may take you all day, because it's not listed in the index and it's not in the place you'd expect.

Too big for a paperweight, too stiff for outhouse paper.

That said, IMO the Haynes is a little bit better.

DeeJayy 04-11-2012 09:15 AM

JeepsLimited.com - Home

That's the direction I got pointed too. Sign up and you can download the FSM in PDF. Also has a parts manual so you can find all of your part numbers.