Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Chasing noises (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/chasing-noises-152802.html)

Sblanck 04-11-2012 07:44 AM

Chasing noises

Got a grind noise at around 15 mph till I stop, dont really notice at take off.
Seems to be coming from rear.

Going to check diff fluid level
yes there is noticeable residue from pinion area actually on both front and rear but nothing leaking so much its leaving spots on the drive.

Thoughts?

wwch99tj 04-11-2012 08:16 AM

Pull the cover and check the carrier bearings. I replaced mine a few months back

Sblanck 04-11-2012 08:42 AM

Is this a hard thing to replace?
I replaced the fluid last year.

wwch99tj 04-11-2012 09:09 AM

Its not bad as long as your pinion bearings are still good.
If your pinion bearings are bad you have to reset the gears
I had a machine shop press my new bearing on for me and I put it all back together in a couple hrs with basic hand tools

Sblanck 04-11-2012 09:23 AM

So is this worth doing on a D35 or should I just look int o replacing with the FORD 8.8 or a D44?

fourty4magjr 04-11-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sblanck (Post 2245138)
So is this worth doing on a D35 or should I just look int o replacing with the FORD 8.8 or a D44?

Well are you positive that it's coming from the diff? There are a few other things that can cause a grinding noise in the rear of the vehicle. If you can you sound jack the rear off the ground and spin the tires to see if you can hear it then and where it's coming from.

Sblanck 04-11-2012 10:27 AM

Honestly don't know. Going to check out u joints and other items.

sevenservices 04-11-2012 10:33 AM

jack it up and spin the wheels... most of the time its just brakes.

fourty4magjr 04-11-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sblanck (Post 2245386)
Honestly don't know. Going to check out u joints and other items.

Yes I would check those too. But jack that sucker up and spin them tires. I had a horrible grinding noise coming from the rear on mine and it ended up just being peices of the emergency brake inside the drum. I was almost certain that it was a bad wheel bearing and was all ready to rip the sucker apart and replace it and found it was only the emergency brake all mangled and in pieces inside the drum. So look around some and let us know what you find

fourty4magjr 04-11-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 2245408)
jack it up and spin the wheels... most of the time its just brakes.

Oh you beat me to it lol:D

sevenservices 04-11-2012 10:49 AM

its all good! great minds think alike! I've even seen a little rock in there cause problems. It was in the front though... pinched between the rotor and the dust shield. Man, such a little rock made a horrible grinding sound!

fourty4magjr 04-11-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 2245486)
its all good! great minds think alike! I've even seen a little rock in there cause problems. It was in the front though... pinched between the rotor and the dust shield. Man, such a little rock made a horrible grinding sound!

Oh yeah you would never guess that a rock could cause all the noise that they do. Don't get me started on the emergency brake that sucker made a horrible noise and you could feel it grinding and everything even when I wasn't braking. I have pictures of it on one of these threads I'll post the link up if I find it.

fourty4magjr 04-11-2012 11:15 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/help...ng-142301.html
Here's that link. Hope this eases your mind OP and Let us know what's going on when you figure it out or ask us more questions if you can't figure it out. :D

Sblanck 04-15-2012 07:14 AM

Well yesterday I lifted my axle and spun my tires, no noise from anywhere, at least nothing like I was hearing when i drive it. I went ahead and replaced the U joints. Drum brakes still have slightly less than 1/4" on them. Nothing was amiss inside the drums as in loose broken parts. Differential fluid was full. So could it just be these Duratrac tires I put on it? Read some threads on some tires that have horrible road noise and others describing the same type of noise.

Sblanck 04-15-2012 02:42 PM

Moved tires from rear to front and noise is now in the front, so it was the tires all along. I dont think I will be getting those again. Going to go back to BFG's when these are done.