Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   When to use lockers? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/when-to-use-lockers-152978.html)

hwy1rubi 04-11-2012 09:23 PM

When to use lockers?
 
Hi all, I'm new to wheeling but have been offroading most of my life on dirt bikes, Quads and buggies. I picked up a 2012 JKUR in February, and have taken out twice now in the local desert and then today in the rain up some mountain trails. Damn I love this jeep and have to find a way to get this grin off my face.

But anyway, I have watched the video in the thread titled 'jeep explain(s) 4WD' 5 times and have searched the JK forum but can someone explain to me when should I use the lockers, and should I lock the rears first or the front or both? I guess I really need a 4 wheeling for dummies lesson.

Thanks,

Gary

CharTay 04-11-2012 09:34 PM

When ur in 4 low and can't get up something try locking the back still can't lock the front still can't... turn around. Or go faster?

pluke the 2 04-11-2012 09:38 PM

activate lockers and 4-lo while going 100mph through water 10' deep or over a cliff 100' high

whichever comes first

CharTay 04-11-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
activate lockers and 4-lo while going 100mph through water 10' deep or over a cliff 100' high

whichever comes first

He knows.... listen well...

XJ Knight 04-11-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwy1rubi (Post 2247919)
Hi all, I'm new to wheeling but have been offroading most of my life on dirt bikes, Quads and buggies. I picked up a 2012 JKUR in February, and have taken out twice now in the local desert and then today in the rain up some mountain trails. Damn I love this jeep and have to find a way to get this grin off my face.

But anyway, I have watched the video in the thread titled 'jeep explain(s) 4WD' 5 times and have searched the JK forum but can someone explain to me when should I use the lockers, and should I lock the rears first or the front or both? I guess I really need a 4 wheeling for dummies lesson.

Thanks,

Gary

When if 4L you can use your lockers.. Start wheeling unlocked.. when you get to a point where you might think your gonna need more traction or find yourself needing more traction lock the rear axle.. Typically that is all you need.. The only time you will typically need to use the front locker is when your in a off camber rock crawling situation or have a steep hill climb on dirt/mud. On occastion deep mud or snow will require this as well.

Also never wheel alone.. since your new to this.. wheel with experienced offroaders.. if you haven't joined up with a local club yet I highly recomend it

Smyln 04-11-2012 10:37 PM

Wheeling with other jeepers is key to making the smile on your face even bigger. They can teach you how your lockers work. What is exactly happening and when are good situations to use them. I typically only use them when climbing up steep hills or on rocks or through really muddy trails. Lockers make steering more difficult. Note. You have to be in four low. Then turn rear ilocker on and then turn front on. Lockers don't always engage imeediately. A four wheel drive in four high is actually a two wheel drive. One wheel on front and rear rearend spin only one tire. Lockers actually "locks" the Axel so the rearend locked will spin both tires. So if you have both front and rear lockers locked. Then all four wheels will be spinning from the drivetrain. Lockers should never be used on pavement.

hwy1rubi 04-11-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharTay (Post 2247980)
When ur in 4 low and can't get up something try locking the back still can't lock the front still can't... turn around. Or go faster?

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 2248087)
When if 4L you can use your lockers.. Start wheeling unlocked.. when you get to a point where you might think your gonna need more traction or find yourself needing more traction lock the rear axle.. Typically that is all you need.. The only time you will typically need to use the front locker is when your in a off camber rock crawling situation or have a steep hill climb on dirt/mud. On occastion deep mud or snow will require this as well.

Also never wheel alone.. since your new to this.. wheel with experienced offroaders.. if you haven't joined up with a local club yet I highly recomend it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smyln (Post 2248360)
Wheeling with other jeepers is key to making the smile on your face even bigger. They can teach you how your lockers work. What is exactly happening and when are good situations to use them. I typically only use them when climbing up steep hills or on rocks or through really muddy trails. Lockers make steering more difficult. Note. You have to be in four low. Then turn rear ilocker on and then turn front on. Lockers don't always engage imeediately. A four wheel drive in four high is actually a two wheel drive. One wheel on front and rear rearend spin only one tire. Lockers actually "locks" the Axel so the rearend locked will spin both tires. So if you have both front and rear lockers locked. Then all four wheels will be spinning from the drivetrain. Lockers should never be used on pavement.

Thanks, I appreciate the help and advice. :thumb:

tontwins 07-06-2012 08:12 PM

Snow?
 
What if for example you leave your car parked outside on the drive way and it snows overnight will a locker be needed to get out or is that overkill?

Let's say it snows a good amount like one foot... and the plow pushs the snow up too... I guess where i'm going with this is a locker really helpful in this case or would i be fine without it.

N3M0 07-06-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tontwins
What if for example you leave your car parked outside on the drive way and it snows overnight will a locker be needed to get out or is that overkill?

Let's say it snows a good amount like one foot... and the plow pushs the snow up too... I guess where i'm going with this is a locker really helpful in this case or would i be fine without it.

You sir, just killed a poor kitten

daggo66 07-06-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tontwins (Post 2553169)
What if for example you leave your car parked outside on the drive way and it snows overnight will a locker be needed to get out or is that overkill?

Let's say it snows a good amount like one foot... and the plow pushs the snow up too... I guess where i'm going with this is a locker really helpful in this case or would i be fine without it.

You'd be fine without it. I've driven threw 34" of snow without lockers.

lee indy 07-06-2012 08:30 PM

the rubicon still has the brake lock differential setup as well so using the lockers is kind of a im already stuck thing.

CG3 07-06-2012 10:14 PM

And keep in mind - while locked - your steering will not respond the same - ie: much wider turning radius is required... good to practice a wee bit before you actually need to use them..... just to get the feel...

Moabrubi 07-06-2012 10:15 PM

4wd to get you into trouble
Lockers to get you out of trouble
Winch to really get out out of trouble

:)

countrybassist 07-07-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2248003)
activate lockers and 4-lo while going 100mph through water 10' deep or over a cliff 100' high

whichever comes first


:rofl:

Terex 07-07-2012 09:49 AM

Is the following animation a faq? It should be.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - 4X4 Rock-Trac 4WD System Explained - YouTube

joe002 07-07-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terex (Post 2554788)
Is the following animation a faq?...

Yes. Post #1 in the FAQ Stickey.

ealive 07-07-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N3M0 (Post 2553197)
You sir, just killed a poor kitten

:rofl:

tontwins 07-08-2012 12:57 AM

thanks everyone!

jk'n 07-09-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 2553698)
4wd to get you into trouble
Lockers to get you out of trouble
Winch to really get out out of trouble

:)

This is pretty much how I have been using mine.

When I put it into 4wd, it does have an effect on steering. Then 4wd low with lockers makes it seem like I'm on rails. Steering is less problematic if you are on really slippery stuff like mud but even then, you will feel less maneuverable in 4 and especially locked.

When you are able to, when you don't need them off road, it is a good idea to see what an effect there is. You see a mud puddle, try locking it and playing in the mud. That way when you do need it, you will be better able to know what the effects will be like.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.