Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   can someone try to help?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/can-someone-try-to-help-153128.html)

rtasd3 04-12-2012 03:12 PM

can someone try to help??

1989 wrangler 2.5 5 speed ---everytime i push in the clutch to stop, she acts like shes gonna stall but dosent and then its all good. Im guessing its a sensor but i aint sure. wanted to ask my fellow jeepers before i go replacing random stuff....thanks

rtasd3 04-12-2012 06:55 PM

This is my first yj,,,Ive done alot of work to her--new tub, paint, flares,tune-up radiator,etccc, so im not use to it. seems to me low on power. I gotta wind it out to get to 50-60. Also when you floor it(haha) kinda bogs down. anyone got any ideas??

jeeper josh 04-12-2012 09:26 PM

mine only gets about 75 in 4th gears at about 3500 rpm. so you arent to far off. i know when my clutch gets loose i just put in more fluid. you could try that as a start since its cheep (like 3 dollars for a bottle)

olbaid_83 04-12-2012 09:46 PM

it sounds like you may have a slight carb issue. may wanna give it a good clean. im not 100% carb savvy but it sounds like your low end jets may be a bit dirty.

YJPeteCC 04-12-2012 09:57 PM

Air fuel ratio! When you cut the throttle and remove the load, your engine is not adjusting to the proper air fuel ratio fast enough. Is the 89' fuel injected yet? Either way I would start with the most common A/F problems, vacuum leaks.

Xpress 04-12-2012 10:26 PM

YJ's never came with a carbureted 2.5L, they were always fuel injected from the start of the YJ. Sounds to me like you might have a faulty O2 sensor or a vacuum leak somewhere. If the vacuum lines are original then I would be replacing all of them.

Bluegrass 04-12-2012 10:51 PM

grab some carb cleaner and spray around your vacuum tubes while your motor is running and listen for a increase in idle and you can hunt down your vacuum leak if you have one.

Dutch 95 04-13-2012 12:23 AM

Ummm...I think there were some factory built 2.5L engines with carbs in 1989. I think they were made in Canadian Jeeps only though.

95YamJam 04-13-2012 06:41 AM

Sounds like it might also be a dirty IAC. Mine does it every now and then. Seems to stop doing it when I take it offroad and beat the snot out of it. Then it comes back randomly til the next wheeling trip. LOL!

Vacum lines are a good first thing to check.

rtasd3 04-13-2012 03:29 PM

No its fuel injected with a throttle body. Majority says vacuum lines.they were a mess when i bought it. Some were missing some were in bad shape. So i replaced them. I followed the diagram in my Hayes manual but I didnt think it was a very good diagram....Does anyone have a good vacuum line diagram that I could use to double check them????

Dutch 95 04-16-2012 10:49 PM

Well........then the problem lies in the 2.5L. We too have a 1995 2.5 fuel injected engine, with a CAI and the (recently discovered 4.0 throttle body "upgrade", apparently installed by the PO), completely new exhaust, including CAT and cat back exhaust. The engine is just WEAK. Despite the criticism that I'm going to get, I still hold to the idea that this engine will NEVER satisfy anyone who has a heavy throttle foot. And investing money in it for the long term is a complete waste of time. GET A 4.0 or put in a Chevy 350. It will cost you near the same and you'll actually like what you get in the end result.