Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Good ol pa state police (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/good-ol-pa-state-police-153282.html)

greenhead17 04-13-2012 09:43 AM

Good ol pa state police

2 Attachment(s)
Got stopped yesturday evening on my way home from scouting some turkeys for my spring hunt. Asked what i did and he said tires are too big. My mouth dropped! Are you serious???? My jeep is stock with 2" bb and a set of 32 x 11.50 stock wheels and spidertrax spacers. Now i have 5 days to fix the issue or jonny law is gonna press the issue. $&@#%!!!!!!!!

Richey81 04-13-2012 09:48 AM

Man that's a bunch of bs really I would fight that. I lived Maryland for awhile and hunted alot in pa and I have a ton of jeeps and with bigger tired than 32's sound like u just a rookie with a big ego. Must have been picked on as a child and got his lunch money taken away now he wants to pay ppl back lol. By the great hunting in pa. I killed my first two turkeys there and luckily it was with one shot.

RockHound 04-13-2012 09:48 AM

Sounds like a Dumb ASS cop with nothing to do, think I would have to tell him "see ya in court"

BeerMan 04-13-2012 09:48 AM

That is nuts!! I used to travel a lot in rural PA for work and I saw TONS of jacked up trucks and Jeeps with 35's or bigger!

Atthehop 04-13-2012 09:49 AM

A lot of states do not allow tires to stick out past the fenders. Is that your problem.

greenhead17 04-13-2012 09:53 AM

Ya with the spacers they stick out but with out the rub the spring perch. I asked him about bigger flaires and said the wouldnt be legal either cause they would be bigger then 3" ( stock size)

Richey81 04-13-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop
A lot of states do not allow tires to stick out past the fenders. Is that your problem.

If it is that could be a great reason to tell the little woman you to buy pocket flares or some flatties.

MarkTJ97 04-13-2012 09:55 AM

Man thats just crazy talk! Fight it, there should be no restrictions on tire size, except maybe width, meaning they cant stick out past flares. Do you think thats what he cited you for? But from your avatar, it looks like you have 8" wheels, and not much if any sticking out from flares. But then again you did mention spacers, so they might be the culprit... Good luck with this

Richey81 04-13-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhead17
Ya with the spacers they stick out but with out the rub the spring perch. I asked him about bigger flaires and said the wouldnt be legal either cause they would be bigger then 3" ( stock size)

4 inch flares wouldn't be and if your running 32's you would still be legal I'd go to court definantly over it. He is just jealous cause his car is fast but you can go anywhere.

spy 04-13-2012 10:03 AM

Mr.Law is a hummer owner... He is just butt hurt haha.

NO really though I see 1million trucks a day with giant tires sticking out with not flares. But I did ask the cop's before about a few things and there response was if it isn't stock it's not technically legal especially with the tire sizes even lifting and lowering there is a set regulation on how high you vehicle can be. I looked into it more and its all due to safety and pendot.. anyways just take the spacers off and get some small ass tires from a junk yard and show up. :thumb:

Peepers 04-13-2012 10:05 AM

Stock rubicon flairs are 1" wider I believe... they would still be considered "stock"...

user4574 04-13-2012 10:13 AM

Middle of the month, probably behind on his quota... :nonono:

jrussblues 04-13-2012 10:13 AM

Sounds like a great excuse to drop the spacers, throw on a body lift and get some 33 10.50's. Unless you have factory steel wheels.

OldBlue97 04-13-2012 10:49 AM

And all this time I thought VA was bad. Be polite, but definitely call bluff on this one.

Sherpa 04-13-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkTJ97 (Post 2253673)
Man thats just crazy talk! Fight it, there should be no restrictions on tire size

That's nice that you feel this way, but your opinion on the matter is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the Pennsylvania state laws pertaining to vehicle modification... and what they say, goes. Period.

Myself, I am not familiar with PA's laws. Apparently, neither is the OP. If I were the OP, the first thing I would do is find out exactly what the state laws say I can and cannot do when modifying my Jeep. The second thing I would do is bring my Jeep into compliance with these laws. Finally, I would demonstrate my compliance with said laws and have the citation thrown out.

greenhead17 04-13-2012 10:54 AM

Things are pretty tight around here now so there is no extra $$$ for and mods. Not sure what im going to do. Says i have 5 days to have a shop conferm i made changes and send the card back in. Man!!! Been driving around for 2 yrs like this. What the.......

steve31 04-13-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhead17 (Post 2253845)
Things are pretty tight around here now so there is no extra $$$ for and mods. Not sure what im going to do. Says i have 5 days to have a shop conferm i made changes and send the card back in. Man!!! Been driving around for 2 yrs like this. What the.......

Do you have a shop that will confirm? Could buy you time. Not like they will check....

Blackpony04 04-13-2012 11:09 AM

Can't you just have one shop remove your spacers, fill out and send in the card, and then have another shop put them back on? And then put on bigger flares so that Officer Law won't notice?

Sucks you have to do that but the purpose of tires staying inside the flares is to prevent you from kicking up debris off the roadway and damaging vehicles behind you and "public safety" will trump all other reasoning every time.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-13-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 2253844)
Myself, I am not familiar with PA's laws. Apparently, neither is the OP. If I were the OP, the first thing I would do is find out exactly what the state laws say I can and cannot do when modifying my Jeep. The second thing I would do is bring my Jeep into compliance with these laws. Finally, I would demonstrate my compliance with said laws and have the citation thrown out.

this is sound advice.

I had a lawyer tell me something to this effect: Remember, cops are not lawyers. if you have a question about the law, ask a lawyer, not a cop. because, generally speaking, cops only know just enough to be dangerous.

Nick USMC 04-13-2012 11:29 AM

Wow, you sound like a real criminal... I wish cops would actually "fight crime" instead of messing with law-abiding citizens. Ofcouse I dont agree with half the laws we have but thats just me being a patriot. End of rant.

greenhead17 04-13-2012 11:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Prop gonna have to get some flares some how. The cop was real polite and informed me many shops and officers wouldnt give me a second glance but he is particular. Nice enough guy... just doing his job however just bad news for me!!!

Nick USMC 04-13-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 2253918)
this is sound advice.

I had a lawyer tell me something to this effect: Remember, cops are not lawyers. if you have a question about the law, ask a lawyer, not a cop. because, generally speaking, cops only know just enough to be dangerous.

Agree ^
We need a "like" button like on facebook.

HarryJeepGuy 04-13-2012 11:54 AM

I looked it up online. I'm next door in the northern panhandle of WV, and I've always heard we have the same restrictions except emissions. According to ehow.com - in PA "all oversize tires on vehicles must not extend past the fenders of the vehicle. The tires must safely be covered by the tire well and should have a mud flap behind the rear tires to limit debris that could damage other cars."
It's the same here. I have to rig up mud flaps on all four tires to get it inspected, and have to have extended flares to cover the tires all the time. I made it one year with 33x12.5r15's before having to get extended flares. Never had a problem in PA, and I'm there a lot.
Ironically, I had to get my last new windshield to pass inspection because an idiot in a minivan went off the road in front of me and threw a rock into it. Not sure if removing your spacers would get the tire under your flares, or if you just need to get a set of 6" flares, but you'll need to do something.

91badass 04-13-2012 12:01 PM

Mental note: stay out of PA.

HarryJeepGuy 04-13-2012 12:03 PM

Oh, it goes on to say that "Vehicles driven on a street or highway in PA that appear to not meet vehicle modification laws may be detained by law enforcement. Drivers may receive a warning or ticket with the order to remove over-size tires. If the vehicle is considered too dangerous to travel the road safely, it can be confiscated and the driver ticketed."
Not sure if you were doing something wrong at the time (of course not! Lol) to get a ticket and not a warning, but it could have been worse. I'd say if you get those tires covered one way or another, you'll be fine. I fight something different every year here for my "modified" inspection. It's getting ridiculous.

Dirty Palms 04-13-2012 12:06 PM

He was only being polite so you would be less inclined to fight him and tarnish his name for giving bad citations. I grew up outside of philly and there used to be a loophole for this. Might still be active. If your outer most tread has half or less sticking out of your flare (does not include sidewall) you are still legal and don't need to change anything. Just something to look into.

greenhead17 04-13-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryJeepGuy
Oh, it goes on to say that "Vehicles driven on a street or highway in PA that appear to not meet vehicle modification laws may be detained by law enforcement. Drivers may receive a warning or ticket with the order to remove over-size tires. If the vehicle is considered too dangerous to travel the road safely, it can be confiscated and the driver ticketed."
Not sure if you were doing something wrong at the time (of course not! Lol) to get a ticket and not a warning, but it could have been worse. I'd say if you get those tires covered one way or another, you'll be fine. I fight something different every year here for my "modified" inspection. It's getting ridiculous.

I wasnt doing anything wrong. I actually just pulled put onto the road and not even approached the speed linit yet. I did not get a ticket. He gave me a warning card with a 5 day limit to comply.

geiman 04-13-2012 12:22 PM

In PA, NO part of the tire is allowed to protrude past the fender, period. And like the officer told you, after-market flares aren't really an option because that would still be illegal. Yes I know, they are very dumb rules, but it is what it is. You can try and fight it, but I've yet to hear of anyone being successful.

I'm from South Central PA, and most everyone in our club has tires that stick out at least as far as yours. I drive over 100 miles a day, sometimes over 200 miles a day, and I'm almost always guaranteed to pass one or two state troopers a day minimum. With all that driving, I've yet to be pulled over in the 2.5 years that I've had my Jeep lifted and mine stick out farther than yours. It seems to just depend on who you pass and how much of a moron the cop happens to be. I've met some officers who shared the same thoughts as us, and I've met others who have the same attitude as the one you dealt with.

mjbuck 04-13-2012 12:35 PM

As a Deputy Sheriff for almost 25 years in Michigan (now retired). The issue of the safety of lifted vehicles was a hot topic, especially after Michigan set specific guidelines as to what was "unsafe". Now, if everything is what it is, I wouldn't have given you a second look, but then again, I don't know PA state law. The law in Michigan was designed to prevent super-jacked up vehicles that ran the risk of driving up and into the windshield of cars in the event of a head-on collision. I've seen this happen. It was also to prevent vehicles from being lifted in a manner that was unsafe. On one situation, a person used hockey pucks to lift their truck. I did stop and on ocassion write tickets for these violations, although they were usually extreme / outrageous cases where safety was the problem. In our area, as I'm sure is the same in PA, some officers strictly enforced this law, while others were more lax. That can be the said for any law. What really bugs me is derogatory remarks (moron, egotist, etc.) that you guys are throwing around. My career ended at 3:03 pm on a September afternoon in a rural town when I responded to a call of truck racing up and down a rural town road and when investigating , I was shot and had to kill my attacker. So, I'm a little sensative to these comments. The same officer you call moron and egotist is the same officer that most likely will risk his life to save yours if you were ever unfortunate enough to end up in that situation. Okay, that said, carry on.

Richey81 04-13-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbuck
As a Deputy Sheriff for almost 25 years in Michigan (now retired). The issue of the safety of lifted vehicles was a hot topic, especially after Michigan set specific guidelines as to what was "unsafe". Now, if everything is what it is, I wouldn't have given you a second look, but then again, I don't know PA state law. The law in Michigan was designed to prevent super-jacked up vehicles that ran the risk of driving up and into the windshield of cars in the event of a head-on collision. I've seen this happen. It was also to prevent vehicles from being lifted in a manner that was unsafe. On one situation, a person used hockey pucks to lift their truck. I did stop and on ocassion write tickets for these violations, although they were usually extreme / outrageous cases where safety was the problem. In our area, as I'm sure is the same in PA, some officers strictly enforced this law, while others were more lax. That can be the said for any law. What really bugs me is derogatory remarks (moron, egotist, etc.) that you guys are throwing around. My career ended at 3:03 pm on a September afternoon in a rural town when I responded to a call of truck racing up and down a rural town road and when investigating , I was shot and had to kill my attacker. So, I'm a little sensative to these comments. The same officer you call moron and egotist is the same officer that most likely will risk his life to save yours if you were ever unfortunate enough to end up in that situation. Okay, that said, carry on.

I appreciate your service and I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I can understand you not liking the name calling of a fellow officer. But you also have to think if you look at the pictures of his tires that was a little over board to pull him over for that and write a citation. I know it is the law and yes you should follow them but realistically the time he took to pull him over run his registration and license through the data base he could have been watching for reckless drivers or super speeders. Not to say he was wrong in doing what he did but he also could have said I have a little common since and that is not a top priority on my list today to pull over a man not doing anything but driving down the road with half inch of tire tread protruding from his fender well.