Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jk door removal Trouble (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-door-removal-trouble-153381.html)

Vampire3333 04-13-2012 06:47 PM

Jk door removal Trouble

I'm having trouble getting my driver door off I've taken the bolts out with the t50 socket unplugged the wiring harness and took the strap off. But I can't lift it off the hinges and I'm not a little guy. Any "secrets" about breaking the doors free?

daggo66 04-13-2012 06:53 PM

Spray some PB Blaster on the hinges. Open the window, reach through and grab the handle. Open the door about 45 degrees. Swing it back and forth as you pull upward.

OH9JK 04-13-2012 07:58 PM

The doors are heavier than they look. Daggo hit nail on the head...there is a sweet spot around 45 degrees where the door should lift right off.

firehawk 04-13-2012 08:09 PM

remove doors

:dance:hi, on you tube there is a video on how to remove jeep doors, check it
out, also you can try some wd40, from what i understand the doors run
about 50 lbs. good luck!:hide:

Casotakar1229 04-13-2012 08:10 PM

no, they are SO light. you have to open the door enough until they will release off.

firehawk 04-13-2012 08:18 PM

remove doors

:dance:hi, you are correct, the doors are 50 lbs. light, and thanks for the smile
on my face..nothing like being a jeep person.:)

mbodella 04-13-2012 08:25 PM

If doors are real bad you will have to use some D40 and a piece of wood and a floor jack. The slightest of pressure will break the seal. My doors come off at 90 degress. If you have any more questions let me know.

aelwero 04-13-2012 08:35 PM

lol, I had three that liked 45 degrees, and one that liked 135 degrees, almost touching the cowl with the mirror.

used powdered graphite on em the first time I put them back on, and they pop right off at any angle now :thumb:

Vampire3333 04-13-2012 09:41 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll try again tomorrow and let ya know.

kbwwolf 04-13-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 2255913)
lol, I had three that liked 45 degrees, and one that liked 135 degrees, almost touching the cowl with the mirror.

used powdered graphite on em the first time I put them back on, and they pop right off at any angle now :thumb:

The powdered graphite's a good idea. Won't dribble down the sides of your Jeep...

Thracks 04-13-2012 10:58 PM

I was able to get mine off without any lubricant.

Just lift and wiggle.

jkjeeper06 04-13-2012 11:27 PM

This happened to me and I did something that works, whether or not it's a good idea is up to you: I took a 2x4 can cut it to the height of the bottom of the door so that I could wedge it under the door and if fit snug, then with everything unplugged and unbolted I had someone hold the door and I stood on the sidestep. This made the jeep go down and the door stay still, essentially lifting up the door with my body weight. It worked well for me, make sure to grease the pins and hinge holes and you'll never have the problem again

Yella 04-13-2012 11:30 PM

Well you've gotten about every option of how to get it off. I can't comment on that any better. However I can suggest to you that when you do get them off try using anti-seize on the pins. Not too much or it will make a mess on the hinges. The first time I took them off this spring they just glided off; caught me by surprise.

jppower 04-14-2012 12:07 AM

Not one joke about getting off even

Yella 04-14-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppower (Post 2256521)
Not one joke about getting off even

Not on this family oriented jk wrangler forum. :nonono:

daggo66 04-14-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2256218)
The powdered graphite's a good idea. Won't dribble down the sides of your Jeep...

I use a dab of white lithium grease on mine.

Dale_K 04-14-2012 07:25 AM

I found the easiest way (for me) was to get a big bath towel and layer it a couple of time and put it around my neck. Then after I've undone the bolts & harness, I stand on the inside of the door with the window rolled down and put my head through the window and get some of the weight on my shoulders and neck. I just stand up and waddle over to the side of the garage wearing the door and set it down. Where this method really works is when I put the doors back on again. It's very easy to do it myself and I can see the pins and hinges to get it lined up.

daggo66 04-14-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale_K (Post 2257046)
I found the easiest way (for me) was to get a big bath towel and layer it a couple of time and put it around my neck. Then after I've undone the bolts & harness, I stand on the inside of the door with the window rolled down and put my head through the window and get some of the weight on my shoulders and neck. I just stand up and waddle over to the side of the garage wearing the door and set it down. Where this method really works is when I put the doors back on again. It's very easy to do it myself and I can see the pins and hinges to get it lined up.

We need video!

kbwwolf 04-14-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2257054)
we need video!

x2

kerryva 04-14-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2257078)
x2

x3 - The Jeep Workout video :rofl:

fdnc2774 04-14-2012 09:00 AM

make sure your not on a decline and let the door swing wide and put a dent into the side with the mirror like i did. . lol. . i roll window down. . stand on the inside side of the door.. and pull on bottom and under the top window seal at about half open

Vampire3333 04-15-2012 10:22 AM

Thanks again everyone I'm new here and this was my first question I posted and I must say everyone on this forum is pretty awesome I thought I would get some negative remarks for posting something as easy as door removal but I didn't. Now any suggestions on getting my mirrors off?

IowaRaider 04-15-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampire3333 (Post 2260813)
Thanks again everyone I'm new here and this was my first question I posted and I must say everyone on this forum is pretty awesome I thought I would get some negative remarks for posting something as easy as door removal but I didn't. Now any suggestions on getting my mirrors off?

Don't...buy some alternate mirrors. Lange or Rugged Ridge make some and lots of posts about other options.

kbwwolf 04-15-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaRaider (Post 2263064)
Don't...buy some alternate mirrors. Lange or Rugged Ridge make some and lots of posts about other options.

^^^ This. Definitely don't remove your stock mirrors. Plenty of cheap, easier options.

side view mirrors

Mirror relocation help for going doorless

need mirrors for when my doors are off

daggo66 04-16-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampire3333 (Post 2260813)

I relocated my mirrors with the Rugged Ridge kit and am completely satisfied with it. Most people can't live with the loss of visibility on the passenger side when the doors are on. If you decide to go this route, let me know and I can tell you how to get the mirrors out of the stock mounts.

real4x4 04-16-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2264157)
I relocated my mirrors with the Rugged Ridge kit and am completely satisfied with it. Most people can't live with the loss of visibility on the passenger side when the doors are on. If you decide to go this route, let me know and I can tell you how to get the mirrors out of the stock mounts.

isn't it difficult to move the wiring for the heated mirrors and the wiring for moving the mirror around?

Vampire3333 04-16-2012 07:09 PM

I got the Safari mirrors for 65.00 thanks again

dadrunamok 04-16-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2264157)

I like the Rugged Ridge kit. The passenger side mirror is pretty close to useless with the doors off, but I learned to drive in a car without a right-side mirror, so I've never depended on it anyway. Plus, I have found that it's easier to find a place to stash the doors without the mirrors.

Daniel_M 04-17-2012 09:58 AM

I have the RR kit too. I placed a blind spot mirror from auto zone on there. Works for me when the door is on. Besides, I glance over my shoulder before switching lanes anyway.

maceman 05-07-2012 09:08 PM

I've got Rugged Ridge Relocation brackets and can't get stock mirrors out out of their sockets...Do you have some tips???