Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Keep loosing my coil springs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/keep-loosing-my-coil-springs-15363.html)

dwdrums801 02-03-2008 06:58 PM

Keep loosing my coil springs

I keep loosing my coil springs...it happened 3 times within 2 hours yesterday and really gets fricken annoying :crash:.....any cheap/easy ways to prevent this?

autogyver 02-03-2008 07:04 PM

Sent PM

Dare2BSquare 02-03-2008 07:05 PM

Trade it for a yj.

dwdrums801 02-03-2008 07:10 PM

haha no yj for me...i like having a presentable interior for the ladies :flipoff:

but I did get to ride in a TJ with leafs in the rear and wow does it ride alot better

Dare2BSquare 02-03-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwdrums801 (Post 189708)
haha no yj for me...i like having a presentable interior for the ladies :flipoff:

but I did get to ride in a TJ with leafs in the rear and wow does it ride alot better

Not too interested in impressing the ladies myself. My jeep is for ME.

They should be real impressed when your springs fall out!!! :p

foxinthemudd 02-03-2008 07:41 PM

what about limiting straps...

upinar 02-03-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwdrums801 (Post 189708)

:punk::punk:

AzTJ 02-03-2008 09:08 PM

Longer bump stops or spring retainers.

Fatbob309 02-03-2008 10:48 PM

Kinda like this?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...n20yet2013.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...028Small29.jpg

dwdrums801 02-03-2008 11:13 PM

where can I get spring retainers? or would I have to make some?

mr4x4 02-03-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwdrums801 (Post 189815)
where can I get spring retainers? or would I have to make some?

rustys offroad has them
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ory_Code=COILS

you might need some limiting straps

Triple88a 02-03-2008 11:39 PM

Isnt only the driver side that has the threaded hole to put on the spring retainers though?

I see the Rustys retainers come with self tapping screws but i woudlnt trust the sheet metal to hold the springs in place.

dave@rokmen 02-03-2008 11:44 PM

When springs come out on the trail it's definitely not a badge of honor that you have the badest flex monster on the planet, and your suspension rivals others in terms of flex. Instead it's more of an indicator that your suspension needs to be dialed in better for the specifics of your jeep and how it's being used.

The most common reason on aftermarket suspensions for this happening is the spring rate is too heavy for the jeep. Where the weight of the jeep itself is not heavy enough for such high spring rates. (Custom suspension builds for rockcrawling are a different animal)

Here is an easy example - let's say you have springs with a 250 pound spring rate. This means for every 250 pounds on the spring itself it will compress 1 inch. Let's say your jeep is 1000 pounds per corner. So at 1000 pounds your springs will compress 4" at ride height. Apply it to flex and it's just the opposite, your jeep will have 4" of downtravel before all pressure is off the spring, anything after that and your spring unseats as there is no-more downforce. 6" of downtravel is pretty common on most lifts. Using this example your spring will be load free in 4" and at 6" will probably be able to come completely out of the mounts.

That's just an example using numbers that are rounded, but not too far off from reality. There is still more going on, but that's it in a nutshell. Now that you know what it is, it's really not that easy to solve because there are many diffferent solutions available, each with different complexities and outcomes - and it comes down to the specifics of the jeep and the needs and wants of the owner.

Some different things you can do - add spring retainers, add that really heavy tire carrier you've always wanted with toolbox, modify the spring mounts so they do not unseat, add limiting straps, change out your springs to something with a lighter spring rate.

We can say that spring retainers are the cheapest and most common solution we see used - but it doesn't mean it's the best. depending on your situation it could be like adding a beefed up steering stabilizer to cure death wobble.

Triple88a 02-03-2008 11:47 PM

hold on, i got it... time for coil overs..:flipoff:

spring retainers or limiting straps seem like your cheapest route

dwdrums801 02-04-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave@rokmen (Post 189824)

Some different things you can do - add spring retainers, add that really heavy tire carrier you've always wanted with toolbox, modify the spring mounts so they do not unseat, add limiting straps, change out your springs to something with a lighter spring rate.

We can say that spring retainers are the cheapest and most common solution we see used - but it doesn't mean it's the best. depending on your situation it could be like adding a beefed up steering stabilizer to cure death wobble.

I "suposivly" have one of the best short arm lifts you can buy , Rubicon express superflex.... but I have the 3.5 coils instead of the 4.5 coils that were recommended by them...do you think thats my problem?

What would you do if it was your rig?

Thanks for the nice explanation.

Triple88a 02-04-2008 01:37 AM

How about using some U bolts?

http://www.precisionsupports.com/ima...age-image1.gif
http://www.nautical-brass.com/rm/lis...ages/381_1.jpg

mr4x4 02-04-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 189822)
Isn't only the driver side that has the threaded hole to put on the spring retainers though?

I see the Rustys retainers come with self tapping screws but i wouldn't trust the sheet metal to hold the springs in place.

my jeep came with the spring retainers on both the drivers and passenger side
sorry yours didn't some don't even have them my Comanche has both sides two along with the XJ I lifted yesterday

Triple88a 02-04-2008 01:56 AM

thats weird, When i installed my RC kit, it wasnt even in the instructions to remove the passenger side retainer. It only said for the drivers side which i removed but i found nothing in the passenger side and yes i do find that weird. :confused: Jeep tried to save some green by not putting in passenger spring retainer?

mr4x4 02-04-2008 02:12 AM

I think the guy at the jeep plant got lazy because I know of atleast five other tj's that dont have the retainers at all

sgnellett 02-04-2008 05:41 AM

I keep expecting Trip to recommend disconnecting something! :rofl: :flipoff:

foxinthemudd 02-04-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 189854)
I keep expecting Trip to recommend disconnecting something! :rofl: :flipoff:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: seems to be his style...:D

MOz 02-04-2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr4x4 (Post 189849)
I think the guy at the jeep plant got lazy because I know of atleast five other tj's that dont have the retainers at all

X2 - my springs did not have retainer clips either. My front driver's spring almost fell out when I went to Rausch Creek with Texapple last summer. Frank Karate kicked it back into place...good to go.

tazmann910 02-04-2008 08:33 AM

No spring clips here, looked for them when I did my lift...none to be found..not even a hole where the screw could have been.

dave@rokmen 02-04-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwdrums801 (Post 189833)
"suposivly"

;)

The springs being swapped form 4.5" to 3.5" does and does not have a part to play in it. A spring that is 1" taller utilizing the same spring rate will be 1" taller in it's free standing height. Using the example above - the 4.5" springs will still compress 4" - but because they will sit 1" taller, the downtravel will now be limited to 5", with only 1 inch of space remaining when the load is off the spring it may not be able to slip out of the buckets. (examples, not accurate numbers)

It's a good thought - but we personally would recommend not going that route to solve the problem as there are negative side effects. The center of gravity increases, all the angles on the short arms change and start pushing the limmits of what a short arm should be doing impacting ride quality.

Spring retainers have not ben used by the factory for some time. Only the earlier jeeps had them.

dave@rokmen 02-04-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwdrums801 (Post 189833)
What would you do if it was your rig?

Good question - but this is the area that tends to be very subjective.

The easiest route to go - spring retainers. It's probably the cheapest and fastest. But over time it would drive us crazy knowing we are not dialed in right for the jeep. The goal is always to take the available travel you have and match the components to the jeep to best utilize that flex. Much easier said than done.

whiteyj 02-04-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 189702)
Trade it for a yj.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 189716)
Not too interested in impressing the ladies myself. My jeep is for ME.

They should be real impressed when your springs fall out!!! :p

I don't know....I've never had a complaint about the YJ.:flipoff:

dwdrums801 02-04-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 189901)
I don't know....I've never had a complaint about the YJ.:flipoff:

yeah but your old :D

Triple88a 02-04-2008 04:15 PM

DW how about disconnecting the front AND the rear sway bars completely? :flipoff:

foxinthemudd 02-04-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 190004)
DW how about disconnecting the front AND the rear sway bars completely? :flipoff:

it was only a matter of time....:flipoff::rofl:

Rawkon 02-06-2008 12:03 AM

my straps are workin just fine. I might need to grab some shorter straps, but ill be trail testing it tomorrow to find out for sure.
http://www.stuckatwork.com/gallery/a...007/img471.jpg