Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TJ grill inserts! opinions? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-grill-inserts-opinions-153687.html)

01 TJ kid 04-15-2012 04:07 PM

TJ grill inserts! opinions?
 
i have like a forest green/sahara green TJ and when i bought it, it had chrome grill inserts. right now they are sitting in my shed. should i put them back on as chrome or should i paint them flat or gloss black?

NOTE: just took off my tan top and ordered a rampage black diamond top!


please tell me which looks better in your opinion! :D

TJ Hooligan 04-15-2012 04:48 PM

You're going to love the Rampage top. It's not a quiet as my factory soft top was, but I just bought the regular fabric not the sailcloth.

On the grill inserts, get rid of the chrome, it has no business being on a Jeep! LOL

KBR97 04-15-2012 05:04 PM

Either ditch them all together or try to paint them. As long as you prep them good the paint should hold well.

Wyominer 04-15-2012 05:14 PM

Either replace them with black or paint them. I've used them on both my Jeeps, mainly to help keep crap out of the radiator.

krughzn 04-15-2012 05:36 PM

I had the chrome ones on mine when I bought it. Then I painted them flat black and liked that look much better. Finally I got tired of my Jeep running hot and removed them altogether. I like that look the best and my Jeep no longer runs hot.

Blackpony04 04-15-2012 06:18 PM

Since you have the black top I would definitely paint them black. While I'm not a chrome hater like many people here I do think the black would tie the look together the best. And if you haven't done it already, take 5 minutes and paint your headlight bezels black to match too. You'll love the look! :thumb:

Bama Stan 04-15-2012 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Paint 'em.

SurfKaster 04-15-2012 09:09 PM

I'd put them on CL & use the cash toward another jeep part

ac99wrangler 04-15-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bama Stan
Paint 'em.

What kind of grille inserts are those?

01 TJ kid 04-15-2012 10:52 PM

haha alright! i really like the black, i think ill go flat black. i dont want to sound stupid, im only 17. how do i take the headlight bezels out to paint them with the grill inserts? lol

Atthehop 04-15-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krughzn (Post 2261910)
I had the chrome ones on mine when I bought it. Then I painted them flat black and liked that look much better. Finally I got tired of my Jeep running hot and removed them altogether. I like that look the best and my Jeep no longer runs hot.

I guess your running hot advice does not sink in at that age.

Missoulatj 04-15-2012 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted the outside on inserts but left center bare, also painted headlight bezels, I don't have I pic that shows black top too but sounds like we have same color paint.
IMO looks way better black then chrome

Missoulatj 04-15-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 TJ kid
haha alright! i really like the black, i think ill go flat black. i dont want to sound stupid, im only 17. how do i take the headlight bezels out to paint them with the grill inserts? lol

Headlight bezels are held in with three torx head screws

01 TJ kid 04-15-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missoulatj (Post 2263397)
Painted the outside on inserts but left center bare, also painted headlight bezels, I don't have I pic that shows black top too but sounds like we have same color paint.
IMO looks way better black then chrome

i like your inserts and bezels! it looks good, i dont know if you can view my picture of my TJ but my green is, i guess more of a sahara green if yours is forest green. ill pick up some paint tomorrow after school & work

tdpman73 04-16-2012 12:02 AM

IMO definitely lose the chrome. But hey, it's yours!

01 TJ kid 04-16-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdpman73 (Post 2263550)
IMO definitely lose the chrome. But hey, it's yours!


what does IMO mean? :doh: :confused: lol

Jeeplover1 04-16-2012 12:14 AM

In my opinion

Jeeplover1 04-16-2012 12:15 AM

CHROME is forbidden.. Just Kiddin too each his own. im a Black out kinda guy

Missoulatj 04-16-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 TJ kid

i like your inserts and bezels! it looks good, i dont know if you can view my picture of my TJ but my green is, i guess more of a sahara green if yours is forest green. ill pick up some paint tomorrow after school & work

Thanks! Ya different green, the profile pics are too small to tell on my stupid phone. Don't forget the sand paper, I didn't spend enough time on prep the first time and the paint chipped after awhile :facepalm: so I had to re-do them.

01 TJ kid 04-16-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 2263605)
CHROME is forbidden.. Just Kiddin too each his own. im a Black out kinda guy

im a black out kinda guy too! i wish my jeep was black. but if i had a choice id pick white. i would do white and black everything out except for maybe shocks, headlights & taillights.

01 TJ kid 04-16-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missoulatj (Post 2263627)
Thanks! Ya different green, the profile pics are too small to tell on my stupid phone. Don't forget the sand paper, I didn't spend enough time on prep the first time and the paint chipped after awhile :facepalm: so I had to re-do them.

i already primed my grill inserts but ill sand the bezels. ahaha if my paint chips a lot then ill just end up getting some new inserts during the summer or towards the end of the year

Dragonii 04-16-2012 09:50 PM

Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter aids in bonding to chrome finishes.
Dupli-Color :: Adhesion Promoter

Plasti-Dip will make anything black.

blkrubi88 04-16-2012 09:56 PM

I prefer a little chrome.


http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...N/IMG_4278.jpg

kshaws21 04-16-2012 10:13 PM

A little chrome looks good on black to me.

01 TJ kid 04-16-2012 11:48 PM

yeah your guy's chrome looks pretty good but, i dont have a black jeep like you guys... i have a green jeep with tan interior and a tan top... i hate that color combination for some reason. so i plan to change it. green jeep, blacked out, black top, and im kind of stuck with my tan interior. *frowny face* *sigh*

Dragonii 04-16-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 TJ kid (Post 2267872)
yeah your guy's chrome looks pretty good but, i dont have a black jeep like you guys... i have a green jeep with tan interior and a tan top... i hate that color combination for some reason. so i plan to change it. green jeep, blacked out, black top, and im kind of stuck with my tan interior. *frowny face* *sigh*

You're not stuck with tan interior.
It's easier to change than you would think. :thumb:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tire...it-152938.html

vabeachmike 04-17-2012 06:17 AM

I agree the chrome looks good with black!

Rolf 04-17-2012 07:04 AM

I also have a black one but hated the chrome headlight bezels and spotlight surrounds. They are all black now.

I do however like a brushed steel/aluminium with the black.

ac99wrangler 04-17-2012 07:50 AM

What would you guys suggest are a good set of inserts?

Rayko 04-17-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krughzn (Post 2261910)
I had the chrome ones on mine when I bought it. Then I painted them flat black and liked that look much better. Finally I got tired of my Jeep running hot and removed them altogether. I like that look the best and my Jeep no longer runs hot.


I've been running the grill inserts going on 3 years, never had a running hot problem. Maybe you should give your cooling system a good cleaning?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.