Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How do i get my wheels to stick out more.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-do-i-get-my-wheels-to-stick-out-more-153739.html)

ksdindy 04-15-2012 07:06 PM

How do i get my wheels to stick out more....

... Without having to buy new rims? Probably a dumb question but I'm a newbie. I've got 17 inch stock wheels and I'd like to have them stick out further than the fenders. Can I get wider tires on the same rims? Can I get taller tires too? I've heard of wheel spacers too but what are the drawbacks?

Thanks.

kbwwolf 04-15-2012 07:10 PM

Without buying new wheels, your only option is wheel spacers.

Buy some good ones, like the Spidertrax 1.5" versions. :thumb:

kbwwolf 04-15-2012 07:12 PM

Here's a link: Jeep 1.5" Thick Wheel Spacers

wmwhitey 04-15-2012 07:14 PM

^^kbwwolf is rite on point wheel spacers are the only option you have without buying new tires I have 1 1/2 wheel spacers they work fine and no problems yet.

kbwwolf 04-15-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksdindy (Post 2262422)
... Without having to buy new rims? Probably a dumb question but I'm a newbie. I've got 17 inch stock wheels and I'd like to have them stick out further than the fenders. Can I get wider tires on the same rims? Can I get taller tires too? I've heard of wheel spacers too but what are the drawbacks?

As for wider/taller tires: With the wheel spacers you'll effectively have a backspacing of 4.75", which means you can run tires wider than the stock 10"ers on your Jeep. And you can run 33" tires without a lift, though you may experience some rubbing of the fenders if you go off-road.

Nothing a $130 TeraFlex leveling kit won't fix.

To better understand backspacing, tire height and width on stock rims, read this thread: Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

The only drawback to modern spacers is that you need to check them and make sure they have the proper torque every so often...do it when you rotate your tires, which you should do about every 3K miles or so.

If it were me...I'd buy new wheels with proper backspacing and skip the spacers. But that's just how I roll. :D

KarlG 04-15-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksdindy (Post 2262422)

Thanks.

Why would you want too?

Seriously, besides splashing and throwing stuff all over the side of your Jeep, the longer the lever arm, the more strain you put on your axels.

You can gain some stability and lower the CG with a wider stance which is a good thing especially for track cars and useful in some off road situations but you also lose some positive aspects of a narrow width for trail clearance and turning ability.

If you are going for taller, and frequently wider as a result, tires you might need spacers or better yet rims with appropriate back spacing to avoid tire rub as you turn the front wheels inward in turns, as a consequence of the wider and larger tires.

THink about other mods first that make the Jeep more useful and functional for your uses, before sticking the stock tires out to the sides.

realter 04-15-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 2262498)
Why would you want too?

THink about other mods first that make the Jeep more useful and functional for your uses, before sticking the stock tires out to the sides.

What useful and functional mods would you suggest? Thanks.

IP0VV3R 04-15-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realter

What useful and functional mods would you suggest? Thanks.

Lights, bumper, winch, etc.