Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   tranny trouble or...? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/tranny-trouble-or-153855.html)

tommyjeep 04-16-2012 08:13 AM

tranny trouble or...?

Hi 'All...just want to start off with my thanks to all for providing such useful info and suggestions, ideas for making Jeep ownership as much fun as it is...woo hoo!!..:dance: and some of these threads, while informative, are also very entertaining, or maybe I just don't get out enough:rofl:

Anyway, I need some help. I have a 95 YJ that i just bought about 3 weeks ago..first time with a Wrangler! She's 2.5L 5 Spd manual and all stock as far as I know with the exception of a 3' body lift..she's got 192,000 behind her and miles to go before she sleeps..lol

So here's the 1st issue...she won't engage in 5th gear but will in reverse. I've heard that the synchro for 5th and reverse are the same. Since a few days ago when i shift her into reverse she will back about 2 yards then come to an abrupt stop as though she had run up against a log. Depressing the clutch and lifting again and she will go in reverse normally. I've read all the threads I could find concerning trannys and shifters and gears and haven't been able to discern what the problem might be..my thinking is a synchro problem but a friend says it could be a broken shifter arm..or a broken gear?? There seems to be a possibility that it might also be a problem with air in the clutch system?

Any helpful suggestions will be much appreciated! I have plenty of mechanical ability and most of the tools I might need but no idea where to start?

I should probably also mention that she sat in the garage of the previous owner for almost 3 years with no use. Oh, and I'm traveling out of town for work(not with the YJ) so i may or may not have time to monitor the forum on a real regular basis over the next few days and don't want you to think I'm being rude or unappreciative...just working for a living and hoping for FRIDAY

Timberwolf 04-16-2012 08:21 AM

it's probably the broken clip, seems to be a common problem with the ax5

AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal - JeepForum.com

tommyjeep 04-16-2012 10:35 AM

thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberwolf (Post 2264383)
it's probably the broken clip, seems to be a common problem with the ax5

AX-5 5th gear clip & collar repair without trans removal - JeepForum.com

hey Timberwolf thanks for the quick comeback..and the lead. I'll check it out right away and report back later.

tommyjeep 07-10-2012 09:29 PM

I didn't suspect it would be this much later :-/ sorry
Unfortunately the problem is more involved than just the clip, which is in place as installed..it's a half dozen main gear teeth broken off and two other gears badly worn.

My next step is to start a search for an AX-15 here in central SW FL and install that for the short term. After that the rainy day cash will be going into the GM V6/4L60E conversion pot.