Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Synthetic winch rope (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/synthetic-winch-rope-153989.html)

snikt 04-16-2012 07:43 PM

Synthetic winch rope

So I just got my Warn VR10000-s and been reading through the manual. It says you need to replace the synthetic rope every 12 months, huh?

Is this just CYA for them? I don't want to buy a $200 rope every year

dkeven 04-16-2012 09:14 PM

my understandig on my synthetic winch rope is its biggest enemys are heat from the drum brake and sunlight, the first wraps should either be the fireline rated rope or covered with a wrap and I keep mine covered unless its being used, going on its third year on two different vehicles and no breakage yet. Been used around a dozen times for various reasons, mostly others and loading on trailers as it was portable till I got the JK

snikt 04-17-2012 08:52 AM

Kinda lame though since I doubt they will warranty the rope if you haven't replaced it in a 1 year. So they make this statement so they don't have to cover them for longer than a 1 year period.

clvnmcd 04-17-2012 09:13 AM

That is exactly what scared me away from the Synthetic rope. Cable may be heavier, but I don't have to worry about it.

Daniel_M 04-17-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 2268973)
That is exactly what scared me away from the Synthetic rope. Cable may be heavier, but I don't have to worry about it.

Except of course the dangers of it snapping under load, god forbid, and rust. OP put a winch cover on to keep the UV rays off of it or wrap a rock sleeve around the top wrap of the line.

Or in my case my Jeep is garaged at home and in underground parking at work so the only time it is exposed to the sun at any length of time is weekends, so I am not planning on getting rope every year.

-Dan

kbwwolf 04-17-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 2269136)
Except of course the dangers of it snapping under load, god forbid, and rust. OP put a winch cover on to keep the UV rays off of it or wrap a rock sleeve around the top wrap of the line.

Or in my case my Jeep is garaged at home and in underground parking at work so the only time it is exposed to the sun at any length of time is weekends, so I am not planning on getting rope every year.

-Dan

^^^ This. Keep it clean, keep it covered, don't overheat it (i.e., run the winch too long w/out cooling off periods). Buy a protective sleeve for it, and adjust the sleeve to protect the line from rough edges, etc, during use. Basic common sense.

As usual, some links:

Synthetic winch line care | Pro Pickup

Upgrading your Winch from Wire to Synthetic Rope

The link below has a lot of useful tips...not only for maintenance of wire/synthetic line, but for using winches in general:

Synthetic Winch Rope ProMark Offroad Blog ProMark Offroad Blog

clvnmcd 04-17-2012 11:05 AM

umm ya, snapping = BAD
:hide:

seriously though, that kind of thing should never happen, given that you take proper care of your equipment and use proper winching techniques and common sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 2269136)

-Dan

CaliRubicon 04-17-2012 11:29 AM

If they are kept out of the sun I have had synthetic last 4-5 years no problem. And when you compare to cable the safety is the deal breaker for me. Having been around a lot of metal cables that have snapped I have no reservations about my synthetic. But do keep it covered.

3TimeOwner 04-17-2012 11:39 AM

:whistling:reminds me of advice my mom and dad gave me in my teens.... keep it covered. Never bad advice

mud_puppy 04-17-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2269202)
Keep it clean, keep it covered, don't overheat it. Buy a protective sleeve for it...

Sounds like advice I wish I'd gotten from my Dad. :rofl:

mud_puppy 04-17-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3TimeOwner (Post 2269468)
:whistling:reminds me of advice my mom and dad gave me in my teens.... keep it covered. Never bad advice

Hah! Beat me to it...

kbwwolf 04-17-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3TimeOwner (Post 2269468)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud_puppy (Post 2269577)
Sounds like advice I wish I'd gotten from my Dad. :rofl:

Best to be proactive in some situations...:D

kenb1023 04-17-2012 06:57 PM

I have the Smitybilt Synthetic rope on both my winches. It doessn't say anything about a replacement cycle. Warn is pricey stuff and they will suck every penny they can from you.

joe buell 04-18-2012 06:54 AM

same here with the smittybilt synn nothing said about replacing every year or so at $200/$250 that might have changed my mind too just keep it clean and covered but have used it and love it I also consider weight at 30lb less than cable every bit helps

3JKs1H1 04-18-2012 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the synthethic cable doesn't store energy, this probably won't happen to you:

joe buell 04-18-2012 08:40 PM

even with synn you should use a rope dampener if I spelled that right thats pretty ugly

Duffyc04 04-18-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe buell (Post 2275802)
even with synn you should use a rope dampener if I spelled that right thats pretty ugly

True, but it would never create a laceration like in the picture above.

Duffyc04 05-01-2012 05:11 PM

So I just ordered my M8000-S, what kind of covers are people running? I can keep it out of UV rays with the sleeve, but I'm a little worried about how to protect it well from the rain/wetness that is torrential in Florida summers

snikt 05-01-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffyc04 (Post 2323647)
So I just ordered my M8000-S, what kind of covers are people running? I can keep it out of UV rays with the sleeve, but I'm a little worried about how to protect it well from the rain/wetness that is torrential in Florida summers

I haven't put anything together yet, but I ordered the Warn neoprene cover for it

ranjr 05-01-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffyc04
what kind of covers are people running?

I use the cover that came with my Recon.
Attachment 118784

Duffyc04 05-01-2012 05:52 PM

I like the neoprene, but I can't find anything that fits an M8000. I know Warn makes them for the larger ones, and I really don't like the vinyl ones they offer. I saw one for sale from Promark, but it was out of stock....

Anyone running one of the Warn neoprene covers on a M8000?

snochick 05-02-2012 12:28 AM

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and where I currently work, we lift aircraft into the air on almost a daily basis with a crane. When we remove Wings, horizontal stabs, etc, our lifting slings for them are made of essentially the same cable you find on most winches.

I've seen what those cables do to an airplane when they break. There were a few times mechanics, including myself had literally been standing right there only moments prior to the cable failure. It would have killed us in many of those cases.

I never thought about it before I had kids. But now that the kiddos will be with us when we take the Jeep out I think about these things. You can bet when we install a winch, the rope will be going in and the cable will be going away.

TrueNorth 05-02-2012 04:14 PM

One inch tubular climbing webbing works perfectly. Requires unspooling the line and threading from the back but whatever, its soft rope not sharp wire.

If you have your heart set on a neoprene cover pull a cover of any current US Military hydration system drink tube. AKA Camelbak. Soldiers throw them away after a month of use. Ask any enlisted friend they probly have 3 or 4 laying around. Standard issue even if not deployed.